• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement MEGA Thread

exNavyOffRec

That's true.. I'm not sure how supply does their selection process as I've seen people with an almost perfect gpa get turned down, and on the other hand seen a guy with a 3.2 10 years of tis get selected.
It depends on how the senior member does cuts, they can say "no legal waivers" or "no GPA's less than X.XX", I have seen both happen with Supply and IWC.

justin2023

Just curious. Those of you who applied with lower gpa's how did you address this in your motivational statement? Trying to get some ideas before submitting to my recruiter.

exNavyOffRec

Just curious. Those of you who applied with lower gpa's how did you address this in your motivational statement? Trying to get some ideas before submitting to my recruiter.
How low are we talking? This is an area you have to be careful with as sometimes if it is too low a statement won't matter it will just be a "no", and I know a few past board members that had read statements like "my GPA was low due to working and going to school full time" and the comment from the members to me was that if this person know how to prioritize they wouldn't have a low GPA.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I had an associates degree with a 2.4 gpa before I joined the Navy and an undergrad with a 3.6 While successfully running a recruiting station, and getting mapped to next pay grade in the process. My cumulative was roughly 3.0 on the dot. I didn’t dwell on an excuse of why my gpa was so low, but I stated at the time I didn’t have proper study habits that I have right now. Something along those lines. Basically I didn’t spend half a page writing why my gpa low is but rather talk about my strong points throughout my whole statement. On the next page I simply made it clear concise that I understand the importance to strive for excellence. I know I had a specific verbiage, but it wasn’t too deep on the matter.

Exnavyoffred is right however, if your gpa is too low they won’t entertain it or get viewed.

justin2023

I had an associates degree with a 2.4 gpa before I joined the Navy and an undergrad with a 3.6 While successfully running a recruiting station, and getting mapped to next pay grade in the process. My cumulative was roughly 3.0 on the dot. I didn’t dwell on an excuse of why my gpa was so low, but I stated at the time I didn’t have proper study habits that I have right now. Something along those lines. Basically I didn’t spend half a page writing why my gpa low is but rather talk about my strong points throughout my whole statement. On the next page I simply made it clear concise that I understand the importance to strive for excellence. I know I had a specific verbiage, but it wasn’t too deep on the matter.

Exnavyoffred is right however, if your gpa is too low they won’t entertain it or get viewed.
How low are we talking? This is an area you have to be careful with as sometimes if it is too low a statement won't matter it will just be a "no", and I know a few past board members that had read statements like "my GPA was low due to working and going to school full time" and the comment from the members to me was that if this person know how to prioritize they wouldn't have a low GPA.

That’s my fault. I have a 2.98 currently. Applying for SNA through BDCP (the min gpa is 2.8)

justin2023

BDCP has a high bar, you can apply but you probably won't have the results you are looking for.
I don’t think I will this time around either. But better to take a shot at it rather than not even try, at least while I’m still in college. When you were recruiting what were some good astb scores/gpa you saw get picked up for BDCP vs turned down? I know astb is a big factor in getting picked up is what I’m seeing from this website

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I don’t think I will this time around either. But better to take a shot at it rather than not even try, at least while I’m still in college. When you were recruiting what were some good astb scores/gpa you saw get picked up for BDCP vs turned down? I know astb is a big factor in getting picked up is what I’m seeing from this website
The ASTB was similar to what you would see for those who were applying via the regular board, 7-9 for PFAR, didn't see anyone apply for SNFO, it was mostly SWO and SNA, the GPA's were all mid 3's and greater.

mcwisconsin

Wrote this motivational statement in a few hours.
GPA: 3.71
ASTB: 59 6/5/6 (retaking in July)
Applying for SNA, maybe NFO. Haven't decided quite yet.

*I don't have true leadership experiences in college and didn't think it would be a good idea to reminisce on my high school leadership experiences. I instead opted to focus more on "integrity" and "hard work". I'm hoping my letter of recs back me up on that.

Attachments

• Motivational Statement.docx
    14.7 KB · Views: 82

FlyingGator

Wrote this motivational statement in a few hours.
GPA: 3.71
ASTB: 59 6/5/6 (retaking in July)
Applying for SNA, maybe NFO. Haven't decided quite yet.

*I don't have true leadership experiences in college and didn't think it would be a good idea to reminisce on my high school leadership experiences. I instead opted to focus more on "integrity" and "hard work". I'm hoping my letter of recs back me up on that.
Are you going to mention what you are going to do for the navy? in all of that I read "my dad is a legend, I love the uniform, and Im good at academics." I feel as if everyone applies with that. You could try adding something like "something about naval aviation the stands out against other branches are ____" or "A way I could contribute to my navy's combat team is ____".

Good statement overall, im sure the guys will have some more in depth stuff to say.

mcwisconsin

Are you going to mention what you are going to do for the navy? in all of that I read "my dad is a legend, I love the uniform, and Im good at academics." I feel as if everyone applies with that. You could try adding something like "something about naval aviation the stands out against other branches are ____" or "A way I could contribute to my navy's combat team is ____".

Good statement overall, im sure the guys will have some more in depth stuff to say.
Thank you for your feedback.
I will definitely add a statement on what I have to offer the Navy, but I've heard mixed things about how specific I should be in terms of the designator I'm applying for. Some people on this thread are saying that you shouldn't be super specific about what you're applying for (not sure why), and others are saying the complete opposite.
The retired O-6 that's writing one of my letters of rec made it clear to me that you should be an officer first, and a pilot second. That's primarily why I only had one short paragraph on aviation and didn't bother mentioning it again. Thoughts?

FlyingGator

Thank you for your feedback.
I will definitely add a statement on what I have to offer the Navy, but I've heard mixed things about how specific I should be in terms of the designator I'm applying for. Some people on this thread are saying that you shouldn't be super specific about what you're applying for (not sure why), and others are saying the complete opposite.
The retired O-6 that's writing one of my letters of rec made it clear to me that you should be an officer first, and a pilot second. That's primarily why I only had one short paragraph on aviation and didn't bother mentioning it again. Thoughts?
The captain is right, you are an officer before aviator. That being said, it’s better to have a blend of both. Ideally you should focus on why you want to be a naval officer and what you can offer, but adding why your motivated to be an above average aviator wouldn’t hurt. Just my 2 cents though.

mcwisconsin

The captain is right, you are an officer before aviator. That being said, it’s better to have a blend of both. Ideally you should focus on why you want to be a naval officer and what you can offer, but adding why your motivated to be an above average aviator wouldn’t hurt. Just my 2 cents though.
This is an updated final paragraph.

When thinking of what defines a Naval Officer, a few words come to mind: honor, courage, and commitment. My dad’s service to this nation taught me what honor really is. I know that he’s proud to wear the uniform and I hope to replicate that someday. However, I’m aware that family history in the Navy simply isn’t enough of a motivator to earn a commission. The attributes that I’ve developed as a young adult – such as self-discipline, time management, and diligence – will be best used serving this country. I’ve had the courage to put myself out there – I’ve taken difficult classes and succeeded. I’ve worked internships and jobs I didn’t know I was qualified for. And finally, I’m committed to my goal of becoming a United States Naval Officer. It’s a dream that I’ve been chasing since high school, and after years of hard work and resiliency, I’m excited that it may soon finally come to fruition.

My plan is to sprinkle parts of that bolded statement throughout the body paragraphs. Not exactly sure how to incorporate it yet though.

FlyingGator

This is an updated final paragraph.

When thinking of what defines a Naval Officer, a few words come to mind: honor, courage, and commitment. My dad’s service to this nation taught me what honor really is. I know that he’s proud to wear the uniform and I hope to replicate that someday. However, I’m aware that family history in the Navy simply isn’t enough of a motivator to earn a commission. The attributes that I’ve developed as a young adult – such as self-discipline, time management, and diligence – will be best used serving this country. I’ve had the courage to put myself out there – I’ve taken difficult classes and succeeded. I’ve worked internships and jobs I didn’t know I was qualified for. And finally, I’m committed to my goal of becoming a United States Naval Officer. It’s a dream that I’ve been chasing since high school, and after years of hard work and resiliency, I’m excited that it may soon finally come to fruition.

My plan is to sprinkle parts of that bolded statement throughout the body paragraphs. Not exactly sure how to incorporate it yet though.
That’s a good add!