• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivation dropping due to scheduling blues

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
What phase are you in? If you're in contacts, read ahead to instruments and/or formation. Set an hour or two every day where you'll look over FTI and/or FWOP and then after that, chill. Enjoy the down time because there will eventually be times when you'll want some but can't have it.

djj34

pilot
^ That.

Definitely browse around some other material (like the Instruments FTI) to at least get a look at it. Go to the CAI lab and see if you can't take the four IN1100 Basic Instrument CAIs you need to have done by the time you're finishing C4104 and going back to do I2100 & C3200. To answer your original post, I had my 4101 on Feb 23, and then didn't fly again until 18 days later, which was a mando warmup. That was a Monday. I was done with 4100 block by Friday afternoon, and into I2100 sims by Monday. Apparently the more things change...

Stay motivated, as my onwing often says to me! ;)

Erin M.

pilot
Everyone has said it a bunch already; wait-time is common. I had a 40 day period (first contact solo to the aerobatics) in Whiting where I did nothing. It may seem like it sucks, but you will be blasted through something later on and wish you were doing nothing again. Then, you'll have nothing and wish you were being thrust through the syllabus. It is the way of CNATRA and probably the way of the fleet too (I wouldn't yet know.)

Hell, even right now I'm in the midst of a big change. I just had 28 flights in 18 days while I was in El Centro, and now in Kingsville I've flown once in the past week and may not fly much more than that next week. So, it happens. You will become very accustomed to it.

As for studying advice, if you've only flown once before you still probably have a very limited idea of what is appropriate knowledge. You need to know your EPs cold (notes/warnings/cautions included.) You need to know your limits cold, like you know EPs. You should be very very very familiar with the systems; I don't mean simply know the standard PSI of the hydraulic system, and the watts/voltage/current type of the electrical system. You should know what capabilities you lose when a component fails, how that component may fail, how it is supposed to operate normally, what indications you will have, and what kind of decision you will have to make. You're flying an ejection seat aircraft, so that makes some things easy; ie. I'm on fire, I'm going to have to eject. However, if you're up at Brewton and you lose your radios and your displays, what went wrong? What are you going to do with the plane? Are you heading back to Whiting? Are you stopping at Brewton?

Read the NATOPs, go back and re-read the engineering pubs for amplifying information. Put it all together and think about how stuff is supposed to work, and what happens when it doesn't work.

If you're able to get into the simulator, use it. It isn't a replacement for flying the plane, but it will really help you start to gain a feel for throttle and stick movements so that you slowly become less rigid and mechanical and more fluid when you fly. It will also help you perform in the aircraft because you will slowly find yourself able to think less about how to fly and more about what you need to be doing next, because the flying will become natural. Practice entering the OLF landing pattern, practice exiting the pattern, practice the landing pattern itself and in every configuration, practice precautionary approaches (if I remember correctly you call them PELs), practice straight in approaches, practice course rules from both sides of the MOA and landing at all runways, go through the motions of when you will start descending to your altitudes, how you will manage your energy to gain or lose the airspeed that you need to gain/lose.

If the first time you find yourself thinking about how to do these things is in the plane, while you're still trying to figure out how to fly the plane, you're going to struggle and it is going to suck. Even if most other students find themselves in that same boat, you've got all this time to go and figure it all out. So do it. Use that time.

Cookie!

I spent the better part of two months in T-34s doing the same thing because CNATRA downed the entire fleet and a/c were at a premium. (Cracked rudder pedal brackets or something of the like) Cannot agree more with the advice given to enjoy the time.

Important, real advice here ---->;) Stay current on your perishable knowledge that carries throughout the syllabus like chapters 2,4,12 of Natops, your maneuver description guides and study a few flights ahead. Other than that, try to get in a simulator and increase your proficiency, or the one most students overlook: study your checklists.

When you hit the fleet post FRS you'll most likely be the new guy that gets assigned Legal, ATFP, OPSEC, Historian ...etc, oh and work as a Scheds writer...so simply enjoy the fact that you have time to "crush leg day."

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
All good advice and appreciated :) I was in a dumb slump for a bit a little over a month ago, but my mentality picked up quickly (thanks in part to the fine motivators here at AirWarriors) and my schedule followed shortly thereafter. Definitely learning to love the free time and love the busy time as much as possible.

Erin M., I enjoyed reading your Primary posts some months ago and I revisited them recently now that I know what all the stories meant. Hope everything's going well in your current phase!

Erin M.

pilot
All good advice and appreciated :) I was in a dumb slump for a bit a little over a month ago, but my mentality picked up quickly (thanks in part to the fine motivators here at AirWarriors) and my schedule followed shortly thereafter. Definitely learning to love the free time and love the busy time as much as possible.

Erin M., I enjoyed reading your Primary posts some months ago and I revisited them recently now that I know what all the stories meant. Hope everything's going well in your current phase!

Glad to hear it. I hope those posts help out in some way. I remember feeling like I had no idea what to expect when I first got there and message boards helped a little bit, especially when I was able to actually match an image or experience to the posts I'd seen.

Jets are going well thus far. All I've got remaining is the Carrier and BFM. Not that those stages are going to be a walk in the park lol.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Sweet man, see you there. I'm in defensive right now...we have 10 completers for the boat from our squadron, get your dancing shoes ready.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
To the original poster, AllYourBass...you could do volunteer work in the local community...possibly at a local church, youth center or school.

:)

Also, what the heck is a T-6? Guess I'll have to Google that now.

Erin M.

pilot
Are they going to get you through high aspect and section engaged so that you'll be a completer too?

We've got a few guys here in the same situation. I had the bfm lecture right when we got back from the det and everyone ahead of me has already started bfm. I think they're waiting to get a few guys through before they start me.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yep. We start bouncing on the 19th, so I've got two weeks to get 10 flights done. There are 6 guys done with BFM just sitting and waiting for the boat. Everybody left for Sweato on Friday, so the 4 dudes in my class are the only students in phase II.

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
A very nice way to remember what you need to pay attention to is "Will this kill me if I don't know it?" Pay attention to preflight, because it could be your last look at the thing that's broken or out of place that will be a problem off the ground. Know limits, so you don't break something (pilot error). Know EP's, so when it breaks itself, you can fix or survive it. At some point down the road, you'll be signing for the aircraft, so it'll be you explaining what happened when (yes, when) something breaks. Do you want to be the guy getting the medal because you knew exactly what was going on and how to save everyone? Be the ball.