• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mosin-Nagants

schwarti

Contributor
Anyone have one/opinions? I'm thinking of picking up a 1891/30 (either hex or round) or the 1944 model as a "first rifle", since I'd love to start collecting old firearms and the price is right. I've done a little looking, and J&G Sales seems to have mostly positive reviews wrt condition/shipping, etc. I was able to check out a m44 in person not too long ago, and was definitely interested. I'm mostly concerned with ease of maintenance, since I'm very much new to rifle care. Thanks in advance.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
From my limited knowledge of classic combat rifles, I would guess that since the Soviets built 10s of millions of them...it would have to be fairly easy to maintain. I've fired it a few times and it has a tremendous kick....loud...and lots of fun. Extremely inaccurate, but very affordable.

schwarti

Contributor
Yeah, I figured anything that the tsars/Soviets gave to millions of illiterate conscripts would have to be pretty simple. :D

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
If you want to get into older/classic rifles that aren't too expensive also take a look at the K98. The 8mm round kicks like a mule but it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. Lots of countries made them so there are a bunch around, especially at gun shows. From what I've seen they're a little to a lot more accurate than the Mosin-Nagant. Both makes are very easy to breakdown and clean. They're designed to be used by peasants who can't read, while under fire. They're as simple as it gets.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a Mosin-Nagant 1891/30. I'm a fan of it, it's a rugged rifle, kicks like a mule, and is cheap to shoot. I bought it for about $80 with my C&R Type 03 FFL. For the price they're sold at, you can't go wrong buying one. Beware of corrosive surplus ammo, not a big deal really, just needs extra attention when cleaning. Buy one, its a piece of history.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to get into older/classic rifles that aren't too expensive also take a look at the K98. The 8mm round kicks like a mule but it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. Lots of countries made them so there are a bunch around, especially at gun shows. From what I've seen they're a little to a lot more accurate than the Mosin-Nagant. Both makes are very easy to breakdown and clean. They're designed to be used by peasants who can't read, while under fire. They're as simple as it gets.

<pedantic>
Ok. "Lots of countries" didn't make K98s - Germany did (Karabiner 98). Lots of countries made Mauser Model 98 pattern rifles, or imported German-made ones and stamped them up in different ways.

Also, where is this "designed for peasants" bit coming from (for both the 98 and the 91/30)? A Panzerfaust, VG-1, or VG-2 are "designed for peasants," not bolt-action rifles designed long before WWI. It's a bolt-action rifle, therefore inherently simple. Yes, the quality of late-war (WWII) Mausers and (all) Mosins leaves something to be desired, but both are capable weapons.
</pedantic>

The Mauser action is arguably the best bolt-action design ever. It was so good it was copied by Springfield, who was subsequently sued by Mauser for copyright infringment (or whatever the technical term is). Most production K98s are precise, smooth-running weapons. Many bolt-action rifles made today are Mauser-action based.

My 'bcd 43' (Gustloff Werke 1943) K.98k and numbers-matching 'duv 44' (Berlin Lubecker 1944) G.43:

Attachments

• g43k98k.JPG
    g43k98k.JPG
    581.2 KB · Views: 140

Huggy Bear

pilot
Anyone have one/opinions? I'm thinking of picking up a 1891/30 (either hex or round) or the 1944 model as a "first rifle", since I'd love to start collecting old firearms and the price is right. I've done a little looking, and J&G Sales seems to have mostly positive reviews wrt condition/shipping, etc. I was able to check out a m44 in person not too long ago, and was definitely interested. I'm mostly concerned with ease of maintenance, since I'm very much new to rifle care. Thanks in advance.

I have 3. Well, one long barrel and two carbine, one of which was given to me by an uncle who brought it back from Vietnam (I assume it was chinese made). If you live on the west coast it seems like "Big 5" constantly has them on sale. I believe my dad bought one of the three for less than a $100. I've never fired them, so no help there.

schwarti

Contributor
Thanks for the advice, all. I'm waiting on the paperwork for the C&R license, and will be picking one up before I head to OCS, if possible... or after, if not. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the advice, all. I'm waiting on the paperwork for the C&R license, and will be picking one up before I head to OCS, if possible... or after, if not. :D
Just to fill in the voids here ...

A blanket statement: ANYONE and EVERYONE on this forum who collects/buys/shoots firearms should get a C&R FFL. The cost is minimal and there's just no good reason NOT to have one.

Just don't buy what I want to buy. :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I own an 1891/30, Tula Arsenal, 1943. Paid about $90 for it at Big 5, and from a historical perspective it's cool. I'm debating getting it reblued/refinished, or keeping it as is for historical reasons.

Accuracy is a resounding "meh." What can I say? Barrel crown is decent, but it has significant throat erosion, and given that it was made in 1943, I imagine it probably saw combat at some point. You're lucky to get 3-4 inch groups at 100yds from a benchrest. I mention all this because I would imagine it's par for the course for a Mosin of that era. I'd like a better-shooting one, maybe a sniper, but I'd like a lot of other things too (Walther PPK comes to mind). I read somewhere that if you pull the trigger on a Mosin and it goes "bang," it's done what it was designed for.

If you get one, CLEAN OUT THE COSMOLINE FROM THE CHAMBER. Then take it to the range and fire a few rounds. Then take a Q-tip and swab out the chamber and the area behind it where the locking lugs of the bolt go when the bolt is closed. Repeat a few times. Then take it home and clean the crap out of the rifle. This will prevent "Mosin Sticking Bolt syndrome" caused by idiots who don't clean the weapon properly.

Assume all Eastern Bloc surplus ammo is corrosive. If you shoot it, swab the barrel with a solution of 50/50 water/ammonia, then a dry patch, then clean normally. This will neutralize the salts which would otherwise corrode things.

Oh, and GET A GOOD SHOULDER PAD. This thing was designed for big stocky Russians in all their layers of winter gear. If you're a normal size guy wearing a t-shirt, it will pound hell out of your shoulder, shouldered correctly or not.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, and GET A GOOD SHOULDER PAD. This thing was designed for big stocky Russians in all their layers of winter gear. If you're a normal size guy wearing a t-shirt, it will pound hell out of your shoulder, shouldered correctly or not.

Pvssy ;) The 1891/30 isn't bad once you shoulder it correctly, but that M44 definitely barks.

On "Big 5", decent selection of surplus rifles... but holy sh!tty ammo prices, Batman! I will NEVER, EVER buy ammo from them. EVER.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pvssy ;) The 1891/30 isn't bad once you shoulder it correctly, but that M44 definitely barks.
I'm too skinny. Not enough padding between buttplate and skeleton. Shot less than a box of ammo wearing just a t-shirt and I had a bruised shoulder for the next 4 days. I need a jacket at least to be comfortable shooting that thing without a pad.