• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mos Question

Glen

At what point at TBS do you find out about your MOS? Is it at the beginning, the middle or at the end of TBS? Also, what are the qualifications to be an 03? Any answers are much appreciated!

Glen

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Ok, short answers to all those questions;

You will find out somewhat towards the end what MOS you will get
Every Marine Officer is qualified to be an 03 and go to IOC as long as they are 1. Male and 2. get selected for that MOS In short if you are going to IOC then you are qualified to be trained however how you place at TBS as well as what the Marine Corps needs and what everyone else in your class wants have an impact.

If you want to know more then...

Link

"MOS 0302, Infantry Officer (I)

a. Summary. Infantry officers are the commanders or their assistants in infantry and reconnaissance units in Marine Air-Ground Task Forces (MAGTFs). They plan, direct and assist in the deployment and tactical employment of MAGTFs and any subordinate infantry and reconnaissance units. Infantry officers are responsible for the discipline, morale, and welfare of their unit's Marines. To fulfill these responsibilities, they evaluate intelligence; estimate the operational situation; and formulate, coordinate, and execute appropriate plans for offensive/defensive maneuver, reconnaissance, fire support, nuclear, biological and chemical defense, directed energy warfare, communications and operational logistics and maintenance.

b. Requirements/Prerequisites. Complete the Infantry Officer Course at MCCDC, Quantico, VA.

c. Duties. For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.15, Individual Training Standards.

d. Related DOT Classification/DOT Code. No civilian equivalent.

2. MOS 0303, Light-Armored Vehicle (LAV) Officer*

a. Summary. LAV officers are the commanders or their assistants in the Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) Battalion. As such, LAV officers plan, direct and assist in the deployment and tactical employment of LAR units. To fulfill these responsibilities, they evaluate intelligence; estimate the operational situation; and formulate, coordinate and execute appropriate plans for offensive/defensive maneuver, reconnaissance, fire support, nuclear, biological and chemical defense, directed energy warfare, communications, and operational logistics and maintenance. LAV officers are also responsible for the discipline, morale and welfare of their units' Marines. This MOS may be assigned only as a skill designator MOS.

b. Requirements/Prerequisites. Must complete MOS requirements to be an infantry officer and an appropriate period of OJT in an LAV battalion and attend the LAV Leaders course at SOI West.

c. Duties. For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.35, Individual Training Standards.

d. Related DOT Classification/DOT Code. Infantry Unit Leader 378.137-010."

Glen

Do you have to be a certain swim qual to be 03? What if you are not a good swimmer? Will they teach you?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Glen said:
Do you have to be a certain swim qual to be 03? What if you are not a good swimmer? Will they teach you?

You don't have to swim any better than any other Marine Officer...and yes they will teach you how to swim better.

So you are a prior going to 190? What was your MOS before?

Glen

Well, I am 0311, but my secondary MOS is 8511(Marine Security Guard). And yes, I am going to 190.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
8511? That is Drill Instructor.

MSG's is 8151

What Company/Post are you with? I just got done w/ MSG in Alpha Company

Glen

HueyCobra8151 said:
8511? That is Drill Instructor.

MSG's is 8151

What Company/Post are you with? I just got done w/ MSG in Alpha Company

Well, just a typo. Anyways, I was with Bravo Company(Yemen) for my initial post and I am currently with Charlie Company, Philippines. So what are you up to now...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I was in Alpha Company (Vilnius, Lithuania) for over 20 months, then I got off to go MECEP. Right now I am up to sitting on my butt waiting for the fall term at Oregon State to start.

You putting in a MECEP/ECP/MCP package from out there? IMO MSG really helps when your package hits the board.

Glen

I just got accepted into ECP. I will be attending OCS this fall with class 190. Well, good luck out there!

Glen