• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Upcoming Uniform Changes

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, not much point in having a working uniform that costs so much that youre afraid to work in it.

like dungarees, flight suits, and khakis (wash or otherwise)? Uniforms everyone already had and were inline with our heritage. Uniforms that were uniquely Navy and didn't seem to try and fit the ridiculous "sea warrior" image.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
I really hoping I can get away with NOT having to buy them. As long as my bag suffices for my "working uni" and I'll sport my Khakis if I need to be a little more presentable.

MasterBates

My CO (when he was XO) decided that NWUs would be a fabulous SDO uniform, to the point he had me write an instruction decreeing it so.

They SUCK for duty. Our ready room is always HOT AS BALLS, and you can't take off the shirt at the duty desk.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You are all missing the point...

The new NWU hides dirt and grease. End of discussion.

Funny, I thought these did a pretty good job of that. And they didn't cost 150 fucking dollars...hell, there's probably warehouses full of them waiting to be shredded right now.

PRF545412320.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
300 sets? That's probably like a platoon's worth for those guys.

Has it really been ten years? Ten years?

KBayDog

Has it really been ten years? Ten years?

Believe it or not, yes. I was going through some of my old stuff during this last PCS, and pulled out a set of my woodlands. I almost didn't recognize them!

Boot camp with woodlands and Cadillacs; OCS with MARPAT and Cadillacs; TBS with MARPAT and King of Suede boots.

More (less?) impressive is the four packs (ALICE, MOLLE, ILBE, and (insert name of ILBE replacement here)) and four flaks ('Nam-style, Interceptor, MTV, and (insert name of MTV replacement here)) I've seen.

Not implying any level of sodium - just wondering where the hell the time has gone!!
(BTW, I'll always be a fan of LINE over McFu. "Grab, Twist, PULL!")

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The SPC (Scalable Plate Carrier) isn't an MTV replacement. It's part of that whole, "Let the Battalion CO Decide" approach to body armor. The MTV is an abortion, though. We fielded a couple different versions in 2008, and although the issued one has sewn-in soft armor, one of the other models was more to my liking. I swear that I have NO idea what happened to it, nor did I use it on a subsequent deployment, with non-issue (read: BETTER) plates.

But I digress.

LINE and da Fu are basically the same in my book: Something to teach just enough of, so that Marines go out and get beat down when they try to use it.

ETA: I meant that we fielded a couple different plate carrier models, not MTVs. And yes, I do find it ironic that the acronym for the annoying, uncomfortable, chaffing plate carrier is 'SPC'.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
The Army went from BDU/DCU to ACU and is now fielding MultiCam (which originally competed with the ACU) in the span of about 6 years. Talk about a colossal waste of money. The worst part is that soldiers knew the ACU was crap, but no one in a position to make a change cared.

They're also considering getting rid of the black beret for all soldiers, and it's been around for only about a decade. So not only did they crap on the Rangers, but now it was all for nothing. Not sure how many people here have worn a beret, but it's an absolutely worthless piece of headgear. It's hot (made of wool), and doesn't block the sun at all. I never wore a black one, but I bet that feels awesome when you're standing in the sun all day. Not only that, but it requires that you shave and shape it before you can even wear the damn things.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For who, then, is the MTV designed? Those of us who don't have battalion skippers?

No one in my battalion wore MTVs during our tenure in Sangin. We only brought them because it was MEF directed. Mine never came out of the deployment bag. The only people in theater wearing them were the non-line units like RCT, wing, etc...

The MTV blows. It's hot, limits movement, and doesn't provide that much more protection against the primary threat. There is very little frag. Blast and bullets don't care if you're wearing the 20lb sheepskin-laden MTV.

/never accepting another MTV or Interceptor from CIF again

KBayDog

No one in my battalion wore MTVs during our tenure in Sangin. We only brought them because it was MEF directed. Mine never came out of the deployment bag. The only people in theater wearing them were the non-line units like RCT, wing, etc...

The MTV blows. It's hot, limits movement, and doesn't provide that much more protection against the primary threat. There is very little frag. Blast and bullets don't care if you're wearing the 20lb sheepskin-laden MTV.

/never accepting another MTV or Interceptor from CIF again

That pretty much defines 99.9% of the CIF issue for pilots. "Here's the gear list, you're going to bring all of it with you. Everywhere you go. Oh, and you're going to pay the piper when you lose it in transit, or some shithead on the boat breaks into the locker in berthing and jacks it."

You know that the gear is worthless when you return it to CIF, a few MEUs later, with all of it still sealed in its original plastic.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Believe it or not, yes. I was going through some of my old stuff during this last PCS, and pulled out a set of my woodlands. I almost didn't recognize them!

Boot camp with woodlands and Cadillacs; OCS with MARPAT and Cadillacs; TBS with MARPAT and King of Suede boots.

More (less?) impressive is the four packs (ALICE, MOLLE, ILBE, and (insert name of ILBE replacement here)) and four flaks ('Nam-style, Interceptor, MTV, and (insert name of MTV replacement here)) I've seen.

Not implying any level of sodium - just wondering where the hell the time has gone!!
I'd say this post is dripping with salt, and since you drive a phrog that is another plus! :icon_wink

Just saying!

Back in my day we wore the Seabees greens on deck, anybody know what they wear today?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The MTV started, if memory serves, as a design fronted by a few guys associated with TAG in J-ville, NC. I believe that it was called the Spartan in its true form. These guys sold the USMC on the design, which was promptly, and utterly fucked up by MARCORSYSCOM (say it ain't so!). Having worn the original design, it's smaller, lighter (even with plates), offers better mobility, but offers slightly less coverage than the turtle shell garbage that SYSCOM shat out.

My MTV stayed packed in a damn bag during my last year over there, even when threatened by certain people. I also managed to evade the--I shit you not--visual SAPI inspections imposed by the same people. And who says I don't make friends?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Oddly enough, Semper Fu a couple weeks ago was the first time I broke out my CIF-issued MTV!

...and yes, LINE is better than MCMAP. I still remember some of the LINE moves from many years ago (they all end with putting the guy on the ground and stomping on his face), but the MCMAP has a half life of about two weeks.