• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS More mandatory training

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We all had to do this for the repeal of DADT. It's beneficial for everyone to learn about and understand the policy changes that are coming starting Oct 1st. Sailors will have questions, and their leadership ought to be able to have answers and a frank discussion, if necessary. It's not a big deal, just like the repeal of DADT wasn't.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
We all had to do this for the repeal of DADT. It's beneficial for everyone to learn about and understand the policy changes that are coming starting Oct 1st. Sailors will have questions, and their leadership ought to be able to have answers and a frank discussion, if necessary. It's not a big deal, just like the repeal of DADT wasn't.
remain-calm-350x192.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you implying that all is not well, and that we're surrounded by chaos?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We don't have to personally agree with everything that comes from DC, but we do have a responsibility to explain those policies to our Sailors or Marines when they are directly affected.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
We don't have to personally agree with everything that comes from DC, but we do have a responsibility to explain those policies to our Sailors or Marines when they are directly affected.
Yes, that is still my job for now. I disagree that "it's not a big deal".

I wouldn't have been able to join the military with poor eyesight, and the military wouldn't have paid for my eye surgery had I needed it. But if I joined thinking I'm a woman in a man's body, they would now let me take up a spot and fund my delusion with medical intervention. It's utter bullshit no matter what your opinions on transsexual people are. It's not in the military's interest to indulge these people, but our current commander in chief is clearly more concerned with politics than maintaining an effective fighting force.

Personally, I'm glad I won't have to stand in front of a group of Marines and pretend I don't know this is bullshit. Integrity, and all that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not here to debate whether or not the policy is a good idea, only our role in its execution. There are many times in all of our careers when we may find ourselves personally passionate, either for or against, any given policy. That's not something our subordinates should be exposed to. I understand your frustration. If you feel that strongly, you can vote with your feet, and/or vote at the ballot box.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't have been able to join the military with poor eyesight, and the military wouldn't have paid for my eye surgery had I needed it.

Actually, both of those are quite common occurrences.

I think you're comparing grapes and potatoes.

Transgender integration will likely be easier military wide, but more difficult on an individual unit level, for the fact that there are so few of them in military service that most people wouldn't be exposed to one right away, where as with pre-dadt repeal there were gays and lesbians at pretty much every command, so people got exposed to what made them uncomfortable right away. Units with a trans are going to have to deal with the new normal.

The one transgender I personally knew on Active Duty was a Marine in my VT squadron. Getting to know him on a personal level allowed me to ask questions about "how" and "why" so I could understand more about his indenifying as a woman. While I couldn't personally relate to all of what he said, the conversation allowed me to humanize people in similar situations where before my only interactions with transtype individuals were what I considered to be creepy dudes dressed as chicks trying to grab my dick...

That stigma is likely a common one, and is the reason traing is needed. Someone needs to tell Marines that transgender individuals are humans to, and that they're not just for sex on deployment anymore because integrity, and all that. They're certainly not going to change on their own so someone has to lead from the front, regardless of whether or not they agree with the shift in cultural norms.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Actually, both of those are quite common occurrences.

I think you're comparing grapes and potatoes.

Transgender integration will likely be easier military wide, but more difficult on an individual unit level, for the fact that there are so few of them in military service that most people wouldn't be exposed to one right away, where as with pre-dadt repeal there were gays and lesbians at pretty much every command, so people got exposed to what made them uncomfortable right away. Units with a trans are going to have to deal with the new normal.

The one transgender I personally knew on Active Duty was a Marine in my VT squadron. Getting to know him on a personal level allowed me to ask questions about "how" and "why" so I could understand more about his indenifying as a woman. While I couldn't personally relate to all of what he said, the conversation allowed me to humanize people in similar situations where before my only interactions with transtype individuals were what I considered to be creepy dudes dressed as chicks trying to grab my dick...

That stigma is likely a common one, and is the reason traing is needed. Someone needs to tell Marines that transgender individuals are humans to, and that they're not just for sex on deployment anymore because integrity, and all that. They're certainly not going to change on their own so someone has to lead from the front, regardless of whether or not they agree with the shift in cultural norms.
I'm not sure why you went on a tangent of "trans people are boogeymen". Pretty much nothing you posted had anything to do with what I said. There are tons of medical conditions that disqualify someone from military service. Is it unfair? Yes, of course it is. It's not in the military's interest to accept applicants that aren't fit for service. However now, if you are a man who thinks he's a woman, you can join up and spend your time on active duty having Uncle Sam fund your "transition". That has to do with the administration's social view, not what's best for the military.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure why you went on a tangent of "trans people are boogeymen". Pretty much nothing you posted had anything to do with what I said. There are tons of medical conditions that disqualify someone from military service. Is it unfair? Yes, of course it is. It's not in the military's interest to accept applicants that aren't fit for service. However now, if you are a man who thinks he's a woman, you can join up and spend your time on active duty having Uncle Sam fund your "transition". That has to do with the administration's social view, not what's best for the military.

I was using an example of my own ignorance and preconceived notions as an example of why individuals are going to need training prior integration..

Your assessment that transgender applicants have mental disorders making them unfit to serve is contrary to what APA certified military mental health professionals have determined. Unless you have a PhD in clinical psychology hanging up somewhere I'm going to venture that you're unqualified to deem any group of individuals fitness for service.

I think the belief that individuals are going to sign up for military service solely for the benefit of having gender reassignment surgery is way overblown. There are plenty of avenues available to individuals seeking those types of procedures that are quicker and easier to accomplish than going through the tricare and military system where they don't have to face the adversity of their peers and bosses questioning whether or not they're mentally fit to be part of the organization they're a part of.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I was using an example of my own ignorance and preconceived notions as an example of why individuals are going to need training prior integration..

Your assessment that transgender applicants have mental disorders making them unfit to serve is contrary to what APA certified military mental health professionals have determined. Unless you have a PhD in clinical psychology hanging up somewhere I'm going to venture that you're unqualified to deem any group of individuals fitness for service.

I think the belief that individuals are going to sign up for military service solely for the benefit of having gender reassignment surgery is way overblown. There are plenty of avenues available to individuals seeking those types of procedures that are quicker and easier to accomplish than going through the tricare and military system where they don't have to face the adversity of their peers and bosses questioning whether or not they're mentally fit to be part of the organization they're a part of.
My opinion about gender confusion being a mental disorder is just that- my opinion. Declaring a transitioning transsexual unfit for service is common sense. An elective procedure taking many months and lots of money to accomplish isn't in the military's interest. It's a tool for "social justice" and change.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Troops will view everyone through the same lens they always have: "Can you do your job? Yes? Good, move on."

Also how is someone honorably serving for a few years knowing they're gonna bail and use their GI Bill for a degree any different? Or earning citizenship by service? Decision makers aren't dumb, you aren't gonna walk out of boot camp and get a big surgery for free.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Troops will view everyone through the same lens they always have: "Can you do your job? Yes? Good, move on."

Also how is someone honorably serving for a few years knowing they're gonna bail and use their GI Bill for a degree any different? Or earning citizenship by service? Decision makers aren't dumb, you aren't gonna walk out of boot camp and get a big surgery for free.
I hope you're just trolling with the first part of your post. No difference between someone spending their enlistment doing their job then collecting their benefits and someone that spends much of it going through a lengthy and costly process of surgery, hormone, and psychological treatment. Good lord.