• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Islamic Violence... Sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Pourts makes a good point - we're not talking about Islam here, but about violent radical Islam, which has as much relation to the real thing as Fred Phelps does to Franklin Graham. There are millions of Muslims all over the world causing no trouble at all and living their religion quite peacefully, just as there are millions of Christians all over the world who have never pissed me off, but in both cases, it's the violent fundamentalists who make the news.

I was thinking about Jordan lately. It's been home to, participated in, or been screwed over by the Iraqi Revolution, the Six Days War, the Black-September-y conflict in the late 60s/early 70s with the fedeyeen, the Arab-Israeli War, and a bunch more conflicts I can't even remember. It's got no real natural resources, a population beginning to grow larger than the country can support, accusations of corruption in the monarchy, and is majority Muslim.

It's also 47th in the entire world for literacy, one of the few safe tourist spots left in the Middle East, and a country where women can drive, work, head households, and wear or not wear a hijab as they choose and where the queen goes around in sleeveless tops without being stoned to death. It tends toward pro-Western foreign relations and has been a significant mediator in conflicts between Israel and Palestine. And this is with 60 percent of the population made up of Palestinian Arabs; 92 percent of the population is Sunni Muslim.

That's the comparison we need to be making, not Christian-versus-Muslim. The difference between Iraq and, say, Spain is that they're totally freaking different. The difference between Iraq and Jordan is - what? The people? The government? Sunnis vs. Shias? Oil vs. no oil? One country is a growing leader in women's rights in the Middle East; the other is a growing leader in people getting blown up at the grocery store. So there's your puzzle. One of these things is not like the other, but the different ain't Allah (may his exploits in Vegas forever remain in Vegas).

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
That's the comparison we need to be making, not Christian-versus-Muslim.

Thanks...I feel like that was a very concisely stated way of saying what many of us have been getting at but not quite making clear.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
Holy cow! (All Hindus please pardon the expression.) This really IS like herding cats (All practitioners of ancient Egyptian cat worship please excuse me.)

Pourts makes a good point - we're not talking about Islam here, but about violent radical Islam,
True… and this doesn’t counter any point I have made.

There are millions of Muslims all over the world causing no trouble at all and living their religion quite peacefully,
I guess it only makes sense to you when you say it.

I was thinking about Jordan lately. It's been home to, participated in, or been screwed over by the Iraqi Revolution, the Six Days War, the Black-September-y conflict in the late 60s/early 70s with the fedeyeen, the Arab-Israeli War, and a bunch more conflicts I can't even remember. It's got no real natural resources, a population beginning to grow larger than the country can support, accusations of corruption in the monarchy, and is majority Muslim.

It's also 47th in the entire world for literacy, one of the few safe tourist spots left in the Middle East, and a country where women can drive, work, head households, and wear or not wear a hijab as they choose and where the queen goes around in sleeveless tops without being stoned to death. It tends toward pro-Western foreign relations and has been a significant mediator in conflicts between Israel and Palestine. And this is with 60 percent of the population made up of Palestinian Arabs; 92 percent of the population is Sunni Muslim.

That's the comparison we need to be making, not Christian-versus-Muslim.
So now that you have reworded a question I have already posed to your own understanding… Do you have an answer?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Fanaticism in any form is both insane and dangerous.

Game, set and match....;)

If by "interesting" you mean "terrifying example of child abuse," then yes, it's certainly "interesting."

I think that its interesting to learn about how other people live...I may then reserve the right to think that they are insane mind you...:D

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My favorite part is when a kids voice says, "We're training to be members of God's army..." and then the "youth leader" says "Who wants to be one of those who would give up their lives for Jesus" as the camera pans around a room full of 5 yr olds....

Who says there ain't any fanatacism in the US???

PS. Be sure to read the "comments" from users on the Yahoo video site.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
The two most intelligent comments on this page:

....its a trailer and some things may be out of context...
and
.....Fanaticism in any form is both insane and dangerous.
The stupidest comment on the page:

Game, set and match....;)
That fanatics exist in any organization/belief/philosophy was never in dispute, and so proves nothing.

Incidentally, who directed the movie? Michael Moore? That portrayal looks about as unbias as Hillary Clinton.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The two most intelligent comments on this page:

and
The stupidest comment on the page:

That fanatics exist in any organization/belief/philosophy was never in dispute, and so proves nothing.

Incidentally, who directed the movie? Michael Moore? That portrayal looks about as unbias as Hillary Clinton.

Relax, Chief. Don't get your feathers all ruffled coming to the defense of your Christian brethren. They are on the same level of fanaticism as the terrorists and ought to be denounced and ridiculed. It's the same criticism so often leveled at mainstream Muslims for not denouncing their own fanatic groups, so Christians would do well to practice what they preach (something Christians have been remarkably lacking in over the past 2000 years). Sure these kooks aren't going around killing people (yet), but that kind of behavior is borderline pathological at best.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.