• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Islamic Violence... Sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's easily one of the most disturbing video clips I've ever seen.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Relax, Chief. Don't get your feathers all ruffled coming to the defense of your Christian brethren. They are on the same level of fanaticism as the terrorists and ought to be denounced and ridiculed. It's the same criticism so often leveled at mainstream Muslims for not denouncing their own fanatic groups, so Christians would do well to practice what they preach (something Christians have been remarkably lacking in over the past 2000 years). Sure these kooks aren't going around killing people (yet), but that kind of behavior is borderline pathological at best.

Brett

One more high minded example of why Brett327 is my damn hero~

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
That fanatics exist in any organization/belief/philosophy was never in dispute, and so proves nothing.

Chief...it was a joke. Meant nothing serious by it...hence the ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Stubby

Ask the Chief
This topic should be in "war zone" if it had any hope of surviving censure.

Don't get your feathers all ruffled coming to the defense of your Christian brethren.
I'm not defending my Christian brethren any more than you are attacking them ;). I'm not convinced that the sect represented in this video clip are my Christian brethren. It's possible that the editing is a bit inflammatory and may not represent these peoples' belief accurately... on the other hand, maybe it does... You wouldn't be interested in seeing a movie based on Sunday morning Bible study at a mainstream Christian church :sleep_125.

They are on the same level of fanaticism as the terrorists and ought to be denounced and ridiculed.
I would be surprised if any of these kids were strapped to a bomb and sent into a crowded shopping center with the promise of martyrdom, but you may be right. If the impression given by the clip is accurate, I as a Christian would obviously not support thier agenda. Nor would I consider it an accurate manifestation of Christian belief.

It's the same criticism so often leveled at mainstream Muslims for not denouncing their own fanatic groups.
I disagree (I know, you're all shocked :eek:)..... and here is why.....

Christians would do well to practice what they preach (something Christians have been remarkably lacking in over the past 2000 years).
Yes, you mentioned that.... several times..... Since you are all obsessed with the crusades, the inquisition,
Salem witch trials and the like, consider this: If you did a worldwide poll of Christians and asked if the Crusades (or the Salem witch trials, or the inquisition, or brainwashing children) were right; if those actions were in keeping with the spirit of Christian belief, How many do you think would denounce them? On the other hand, if you did a worldwide poll of Moslems and asked the same questions about 9/11.... do you think the ratio of denouncement would be similar?

You don't hear more Christians denouncing the inquisition because that topic is not of any interest to the mainstream media. Terrorist bombings are.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't hear more Christians denouncing the inquisition because that topic is not of any interest to the mainstream media. Terrorist bombings are.

At least we agree on something. BTW, I'm not obsessed with the crusades - don't lump me in with the rest of those Martians. :D

Brett

gaetabob

pilot
I would argue that in the immediate aftermath of the Crusades, Inquisition, Salem, etc., public opinion would have been highly in favor of it. It was only after a few centuries, and a move towards an equilibrium, that people can look back at those attrocities and call them such. Likewise, I'm sure in a few centuries Muslims will look back at 9/11 and the other violent acts that have defined this century so far with regret (hopefully).

As for the majority of this thread, so far, I think it is a perfect snap shot of why this conflict is happening. Despite the ridicule received, I think Gman represented well the Koran and the Suri (multiple of Sura?) that justified violence. In this situation, it's just some shmuck named Gman who's taking quotes; however, if it were the Grand Ayatolla Gman reading from the Koran to a group of impressionable listeners, well then...

The fact that this thread has lasted for five pages already also shows how complex the issue is, and how "easy" it'll be to solve. I would argue that a cold-war strategy would work against us because it would only "prove" to the fundamentalist that this is an all out war against their religion and the begining of the 11th crusade (or what ever number we'd be up to). We definitely have to battle the fundamentalists, militarily, but we also have to simultaniously ally with the other 2 million moderates. Easier said than done. We'd have to ensure that we do not justify the arguments of the radical leaders, and somehow have the moderates embrace us (I have no idea how to do that). A major step that must happen is for the moderates to finally speak out against the radicals and find a way to battle the extreamists from within their own religion and society. Lastly, we need to better educate ourselves (the western infadels) so that there is better understanding.

So that's my solution...just these four easy steps towards world peace and harmony. Once again, you can see from this thread that there is no easy solution, no one size fits all strategy, and certainly many obsticles in the way. If you just read through this entire thread, you'll see represented all the complexities of the issue. Can anyone else come up with a solution? other than finger pointing?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As big of a fan of organized religion as I am, we're not going to have this sh!tfest continue any further. Nothing positive from any angle can be further gleamed from this thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.