• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Islamic Violence... Sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

None
You just did

You picked the wrong site to come to in order to insite bashing threads of the sitting Commander In Chief. Incase you missed the sign on the way in this is a site heavily laden with there/been there/wanna be there service men and women. Some of us are currently, have been, or want to some day be a part of an organization which runs under the guidence of the UCMJ. Im gonna take it from your comments that either your not currently worried about that because your not in that catagory or your too ignorant to realize the implications of an Article 88 charge.

If your just a civvy thats here to stir up crap, well.... Ill start the pool up on how long before you get the axe. And have a nice day :D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If your just a civvy thats here to stir up crap, well.... Ill start the pool up on how long before you get the axe. And have a nice day :D
So what's your bet then? How long before I'm gone? I bet I'll be here long after you learn to take a piss by yourself.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
want to bring this thread back on track before it gets too far off course...

Why? It's already out of steam. There's nothing else to be said; this is the second thread you've brought on the topic this week. And, I don't believe you are seeing the trend, but most people disagree with you on it. :( Sorry.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
So what's your bet then? How long before I'm gone? I bet I'll be here long after you learn to take a piss by yourself.
People might be willing to take you seriously if they had just some idea of who you are. Total anonimity, given the nature of this board, is actually kind of frowned upon here.

But, you are entitled to operate as you see fit...

GMan1976

Banned
most people disagree with you on it. :( Sorry.

Most people are disagreeing that worldwide Islamic reaction to the Pope's comments are over the top? They are disagreeing that there are, in fact, many Muslim leaders condemning the protests in Arabic to their own people?

Haven't heard that one.

I think that yes, many people will disagree on how to handle the problem, but to deny a problem even exists??? I challenge you to find ONE day over the last 10 years that there was no newspaper article on violence involving some Islamic group or another.

My question remains... when is enough enough? When will the 2.5 billion (or whatever) moderate Muslims stand up and take a stand? Can you imagine if every major religion violently protested like that every time something even REMOTELY negative was said about them? We'd be living in a constant state of anarchy and riot.

It makes me sad and angry at the same time. Why is this just me?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most people are disagreeing that worldwide Islamic reaction to the Pope's comments are over the top? They are disagreeing that there are, in fact, many Muslim leaders condemning the protests in Arabic to their own people?

Haven't heard that one.

I think that yes, many people will disagree on how to handle the problem, but to deny a problem even exists??? I challenge you to find ONE day over the last 10 years that there was no newspaper article on violence involving some Islamic group or another.

My question remains... when is enough enough? When will the 2.5 billion (or whatever) moderate Muslims stand up and take a stand? Can you imagine if every major religion violently protested like that every time something even REMOTELY negative was said about them? We'd be living in a constant state of anarchy and riot.

It makes me sad and angry at the same time. Why is this just me?

Again (for the last time), we get that you think "enough is enough," but what do you propose we do differently. Words are cheap and you're beginning to sound like a Democrat. I'm honestly interested in what you think we should do differently on a policy level.

Brett

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
I challenge you to find ONE day over the last 10 years that there was no newspaper article on violence involving some Islamic group or another.

In the same respect, I challenge you to find ONE day over the last 50 years that there was no newspaper article on violence involving some Christian.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
In the same respect, I challenge you to find ONE day over the last 50 years that there was no newspaper article on violence involving some Christian.

A very good point. I was going to mention the violence of say...the IRA or the Basque seperatists and ask why Catholics around the world weren't up in arms...or aren't in some cases.

The more you choose to see things in a certain way...the more you see things in a certain way.

I, also would be interested in hearing any policy changes you have in mind. Honestly...I would love to talk about this, but I don't want to hear recycled vindictive from Fox News and other talking heads.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A very good point. I was going to mention the violence of say...the IRA or the Basque seperatists and ask why Catholics around the world weren't up in arms...or aren't in some cases.

The more you choose to see things in a certain way...the more you see things in a certain way.

I, also would be interested in hearing any policy changes you have in mind. Honestly...I would love to talk about this, but I don't want to hear recycled vindictive from Fox News and other talking heads.

There are obviously lots of fronts on which this battle can and ought to be waged. I, for one, would like to see a return to the Cold War mindset. Now, it's hard to speculate and conjecture on what I'm about to say because I don't know the extent to which it is already taking place, but it would seem as though our efforts in the range of psyops disciplines may not be being utilized to the maximum extent possible. I'm not naive enough to think that beaming VOA into Tehran is going to solve all our problems, but I think the examples from the Cold War show that those kinds of things can be force-multipliers. I think many of you will agree that most of the hatred of the US and Western values are a result of ignorance and propaganda. The more effectively we can counter that, the better off we'll be.

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I think many of you will agree that most of the hatred of the US and Western values are a result of ignorance and propaganda.

100% I think it is equally clear that this works on both sides of the line...:rolleyes:

I'm curious though, how effective we could be in an ideological battle. My point I guess is this... As far as a battle of ideologies goes, Communism ultimately lost the battle because of its failure as an economic system. People stopped believing in the Communist system because it didn't work in the end, and they didn't eat!

I'm not sure that we can hope to expect a similar result with hard-line Islamic fundamentalism. While I certainly think we can make headway here, it is one thing to convice someone that their government is ineffective when there is tangible proof of that. (Lack of food, hoarding by the Party elite etc...) It is quite another to prove to someone that their belief in a religion doesn't neccessitate the murder of those who don't share their beliefs. There is, I'm afraid, little to prove this.

Your point is well taken though...we can certainly make lots of headway among moderate Islam through some person to person understanding and compassion about what it is we do share...Kennedy said it pretty well a long time ago...

"Now the trumpet summons us again--not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need; not as a call to battle, though embattled we are--but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out, rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation--a struggle against the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
100% I think it is equally clear that this works on both sides of the line...:rolleyes:

I'm curious though, how effective we could be in an ideological battle. My point I guess is this... As far as a battle of ideologies goes, Communism ultimately lost the battle because of its failure as an economic system. People stopped believing in the Communist system because it didn't work in the end, and they didn't eat!

I'm not sure that we can hope to expect a similar result with hard-line Islamic fundamentalism. While I certainly think we can make headway here, it is one thing to convice someone that their government is ineffective when there is tangible proof of that. (Lack of food, hoarding by the Party elite etc...) It is quite another to prove to someone that their belief in a religion doesn't neccessitate the murder of those who don't share their beliefs. There is, I'm afraid, little to prove this.

Your point is well taken though...we can certainly make lots of headway among moderate Islam through some person to person understanding and compassion about what it is we do share...Kennedy said it pretty well a long time ago...

"Now the trumpet summons us again--not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need; not as a call to battle, though embattled we are--but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out, rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation--a struggle against the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself."

There's obviously a point where Muslims reach a crossroad where one path leads to violent extremism and the other does not. To that extent, we should make moderation the easy choice for that person. I do appreciate the distinction between an ideology of class and socio-economics vs. one of metaphysics. We don't have to indict Islam as a whole (as we did with Communism) to coexist, just the violent pole. There are some interesting pieces which I've read that have studied root causes of terrorism and not all of them point to poverty and disenfranchisement, although I think that may play a role in some cases. In many instances, terrorist groups are divided into "leadership" and "foot soldier" sub-classes where disadvantaged young males are co-opted by sociopathic and politically motivated leaders. Do you think Arafat, or UBL would have strapped on a homicide vest? The sad part is that the lowest class of Muslim is being manipulated and exploited by their own leaders. They decry the West and their litany of perceived grievances as they're murdered by proxy by their own people.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.