• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monkey Question?? and Advice on FORM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuggerat

mbergem is right...From what i understand the question is. If u put more distance between the monkey and the weight then that distance has to be equally distributed among the two... Therefore, in that situation the weight must move down. In the event of the monkey moving up the rope (making the distance between it and the weight smaller) the weight must move up to compensate for the declining rope length... I'm pretty sure this makes sense. Anyone else see what im gettin at?

cessnajet1h

Hey guys do any of you remember the newton question of FORM 1 about if two people put 10 newtons each, how many they exert together.....anyhow thanks for all of your past info...TIME IS TICKING FOR ME, NEXT WEEK, TAKING IT FORM 1..........

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
You don't take acceleration into account on that particular question. On that particular pulley system, there is no Mechanical Advantage produced. The length of the lines do not matter. It takes more than 50lbs to move the 50lbs weight. The monkey could make it to the top without moving the weight.
As for the piston question, calculate it by figuring the volume. You have to remember that as a piston's circumference increases, the volume it displaces increases exponentially not linearly. This is the reason that a hydraulic system utilizing one 2" hydraulic cylinder will be able to lift more weight than a system utilizing two 1" hydraulic cylinders.
I can't remember the formula for volume off the top of my head. I just moved to P-Cola and my old math texts are still packed up in boxes. Just make sure you know that formula, and you'll be golden.
Semper Fi

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Are you sure? If both are the same weight and at rest the forces are balanced. To begin moving up the rope the monkey would have to exert a downward force on the rope in addition to his weight.

I dont know if I'm right, but I would sure like to find out.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Yes... but if you are going to get that technical about it, you have to figure that it also takes more than 50lbs to move the weight on the opposite end of the rope since it is static as well. See what I mean?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JDfairman is correct. Leave it at that gents. Remember that the test is for basic mechanics, nothing indepth. You don't need to be breaking out the protractors, theorems, or anything else like this. Think of it as a mechanic taking the test (practical knowledge).

SaiyanCivic

with all due respect, even though i am a SR i think you are all nuking this question
boggled_125.gif
bigeyes_125.gif
bigmouth_125.gif
drunk_125.gif
propeller_125.gif
scared_125.gif
shake_125.gif
. ok, if the monkey and the weight are the same, then when the monkey moves up, so will the weight. equalibrium plays a big factor.

SKSR Lowe
EODMU-7

muffin

Lets not forget the effects of the moon’s gravitational pull. This alone could easily offset the monkey and rope .15 degrees thus requiring Pythagorean Theorem. We have a whole new can of worms to deal with now people. OMG…Now we’re talking Calculus with instantaneous acceleration, velocity, multiple plains, angular gravitational advantage, conic sections, etc. Also, who’s to say what view point we are taking it from? Is the monkey more aerodynamic than the weight?! Now we’re talking drag!!! Static friction in the pulley? Lets think about this guys, the Force is a SINE wave alone…

Breath…breath…AHHHHHHHHH!!!

A question like this is inhumane and downright immoral to give to an engineer. It is like dividing by zero, our brains fly through an infinite number of variables until ultimate meltdown occurs.

I just thought of another variable. For the monkey to climb the rope, he must exert energy. Now we all very well know that this isn’t a hundred percent efficient and thus a byproduct is heat. So Mr. Monkey’s body temperature rises THUS making him just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit lighter, given that heat rises. Ahem…thus proving that monkey and the weight are in FACT not the same.

Thank you
graduate_125.gif

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
The answer that the weight will move up is the correct one. (Well as long as you neglect air friction, mass of the rope, and friction in the pulleys.) Should anyone want to go over the math on this please PM me.

Kobyra

P.S. As a hint to help you think of the solution, try thinking about them falling instead of climbing. (I found this easier to prove and made the oposite true).

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Originally posted by SaiyanCivic
man, you are all still nuking this question.
bulb_125.gif

So how would this change if the monkey and the weight did not begin at the same height but all other aspects were the same?

Kobyra

Status
Not open for further replies.