• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monkey Question?? and Advice on FORM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cessnajet1h

Hi guys, Well, I have heard all about this monkey question and there have been many answers to it, like it stays in the same place to the weight moves up....anyone know exactly what it is....i just don't want to take wrong advice...I am taking FORM 1 for sure next month....form 2 did not do well, if anyone knows and can advice about this version, I would really appreciate it....and if anyone lives in the Los angeles are and would like to study for it and share ideas, it would be of great appreciation....

GTodd

OK if I remember corectly the monkey and weight weigh the same. So if the monkey moves up the rope than the weight will move down, because the weight has more leverage. Just think of it like this. If you and you girl are on a see saw and you weigh the same (ugly girl hahaha jk). The see saw will not move. if one of you move toward the fulcrum (where the bar pivots) than the other person who did not move would weigh more (due to mechanical adv.) and that end of the see saw will go down. I hope I did not confuse you to much. MY best advice, you have a month to go, do not waist it, think positive you will pass!!!!!!!!!

Hudson

GTodd, I think you may be mistaken. A see saw is nothing like the rope and pulleys in this question. The way I see it is this, maybe I am wrong and we can debate about that as well. The monkey is neutrally balanced with the weight on the other side. If the monkey wants to clime up the rope he will have to exert a force on the rope. Meaning he will have to pull down on the rope to clime. Do you remember the theorem or law or whatever that says for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It is my belief that when the monkey pulls down to clime up he will pull the weight on the other side up. If the monkey were going down the opposite would be true.

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Well my two cents worth here to see if it helps to shed some light. If the monkey were to climb upwards using significant strength he could cause the weight to go upwards only if he overcomes the inertia of the weight as well as the internal friction in the pulleys. I think however that these problems are considered under ideal conditions and using "normal" parameters. So I would say that the monkey would actually be able to climb up the rope as the force that he exerts on the rope will be his own body weight as long as he doesn't jerk the rope. Thoughts anyone?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too in-depth....Just think of equalibrium. If the 50 lbs monkey is on the ground and the 50 lbs weight is on the ground, when the monkey climbs the rope, the weight has to move in order to get back into equalibrium!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

mbergem

Final Select Crypto, OCS 30 JUL 2005
Right, ea, well that is how I answered it anyway. Monkey moves up, then the weight must move up as well.

Look at it this way: As the monkey climbs, there is less distance between the monkey and the weight. Now this distance must be halved along the pulley, thus the monkey and the weight both must be closer to the pulley.

- Mark

cessnajet1h

hey, guys thanks alot for all the info. I also think that the weight moves up aswell.......anyhow Thanks to everyone.....any thoughts on the rest of the questions for the people who have taken FORM1??

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
Pray you get Form 1, but if not, you'll be able to take form 2 the second time (if you screw up). I got 7/6/7 and 55 on Form 2 and was furious. Apparently Form 1 is a little easier, but I've heard both ways... just heard more that Form 1 was easier! I know for Form 1 some of the answers (I believe two questions) from the Marines study guide are the exact same answers on the test!

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Force = Mass x Acceleration
F = MA
Gravity is acceleration (9.8m/s/s)
You and the object have an equal mass.
You must accelerate to begin moving up the rope.

Balance the forces. Thats all you need to know.

justmeryan@yahoo.com

I took Form 1 on Tuesday 19Aug. I am interested in BDCP and going supply corps. I studied the gouge on this site for 4 days prior to the test. I don't know my offical score because it has not gotten graded yet, but the senior that administered the test said that to be competitive for the BDCP I would probably need to retest. I think I scored high enough to get into OCS, but not qualify for the BDCP. I did fine on the math, just study the gouge. Like there is almost an identical question concerning the jets diverging at 60 degrees for 1200 miles. Only it uses boats instead. Same principle, draw a unilateral triangle.
On the gouge I aced the mechanical stuff but had more the 50% misses on the rough grading of the test in the office. I was really suprised. There is a tough one on there about a piston 3 1/2 times the size of the smaller piston...how far do you need to push down on the big piston to raise the little piston so many inches. And of course the monkey question is on there. Without thinking I said the weight stays put because I read it on here...but looks like we all might have been wrong on that. It would be helpful to know the formula for force and the other formualas that were in the gouge section talking about buoyancy and the opther. Feel free to email me for any other specific help. I will probably be taking form 2 in a month so I could use so help as well.

Originally posted by cessnajet1h
hey, Thank for your imput, Dblang!!!

Has anyone taken FORM 1 RECENTLY?
please give me your imput.......

cessnajet1h

Hi maryan
THanks for your imput here......I took Form 2 a month ago and i was not prepared for what i saw....my advice is to really go over your geometry because there are alot of question there just about that....anyhow, if you can write back and give me advices or questions about form 2 just feel free to e-mail....

Status
Not open for further replies.