• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobilizations, when did you tell your employer?

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's a fair question. Of course, this isn't the place to disclose financials, but I'll make a couple points. Let's say I lose my job (again) and I'm tired of fighting and overperforming all the time to stay in good graces in this field and industry because of the reserve gig. So I go the "safe" route with a govie job. Almost every reserve officer I know in real life is a government employee, all great people too, so it seems like the common route. Let's say a miracle happens and I get GS-13 step 10 (highly unlikely) for my locale and we include the pension. This is the max I'll ever go without a PhD if I understand correctly. That's still less than half of my current compensation without including the very generous 401(k) employer matching either and many other benefits, how much less than half feel free to fill in the blanks.

Meanwhile in my status quo career, I'm still young and there's tons of room for title and compensation growth. Even if the highest I go career-wise is middle management in my particular field/industry, I'm looking at making well over half a million a year. It's a simple example of where I am and what's ahead for me since I'm getting long-winded but do the math.

Ever been passed up on a promotion that was communicated that you'd be getting and denied a very generous raise, bonus, and upwards of $100k in RSUs because of "concerns regarding focus" due to external activities (contrived, but what can you do)? That may have happened to me after commissioning. :)

TL;DR because this is getting long: While not financially ruinous, giving up making millions more than one otherwise would for the sake of a part-time gig is probably a questionable financial and life decision, and every friend and family member is more than happy to bring it up whenever the Navy gets brought up heh.

Yes agreed, that's what I more or less said to the other user in response to the implication that it takes 4-5 years to qual as an 1835. It's why I've seen that an ENS 1835 got a billet for MOB. He did his designator quals and then was free to MOB.

I juxtaposed this with another designator where it'll take a good ~6 years to qual (thanks to COVID) and before that point you can't do anything: no ADOS, no MOB, not even switching units outside of the program. Sometimes it's rolling the dice on reserve designators and finding out how much the PQS and simultaneous unit responsibilities are going to bite you. At least in my case, I was given some really incorrect gouge from officers in the community which had I known was false I'd absolutely have applied for a different designator, but I don't think I would have done a few of the cool things I've done so far in another designator so there's an upside.
A few thoughts on GS:
-GS-13 Step 10 is not some magic ceiling you can never get past. It's agency and locale dependent but movement to 14 or 15 doesn't require a PhD. Also, make sure you're looking at pay charts include locality pay.
-GS comes with 401k matching, my agency is up 5%
-theres a pension.

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
A few thoughts on GS:
-GS-13 Step 10 is not some magic ceiling you can never get past. It's agency and locale dependent but movement to 14 or 15 doesn't require a PhD. Also, make sure you're looking at pay charts include locality pay.
-GS comes with 401k matching, my agency is up 5%
-theres a pension.
Pags is a 100% correct. Just to add, there are other pay scales aside from GS where the compensation packages rival the private sector. For instance, just check out the fed jobs as a result of this job search:

SELRES_AMDO

Fed pension plus a SELRES pension is not a bad place to be in at retirement.

Ya, the GS world can be tough at times with bureaucracy and incompetence. I have my doubts that there isn't incompetence and frustration everywhere. One of my friends quit his high paying GS job to go to grad school and work for a FAANG company. He said he got paid more but there was definitely ridiculous bureaucracy that he hates dealing with and he worked 60 hours a week instead of 40 as a fed. And there is no pension or job security.

Personally, I have a high grade GS job and just learned to shut up and color. It isn't that bad and I make enough to pay my bills and have a comfortable middle class life. My self worth isn't tied to my career like it is for some.

SELRES_AMDO

Pags is a 100% correct. Just to add, there are other pay scales aside from GS where the compensation packages rival the private sector. For instance, just check out the fed jobs as a result of this job search:

Your compensation can never exceed GS-15 step 10 pay with very few exceptions (SES, special STEM jobs, political appointees). All fed jobs get the same benefits package for the most part.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Your compensation can never exceed GS-15 step 10 pay with very few exceptions (SES, special STEM jobs, political appointees). All fed jobs get the same benefits package for the most part.
Well, don’t forget overtime pay, shift work pay, hazard pay, etc. I know a GS-15 who made over $200k last year by doing OT every week.

SELRES_AMDO

Well, don’t forget overtime pay, shift work pay, hazard pay, etc. I know a GS-15 who made over $200k last year by doing OT every week.
Actually, even overtime. A GS employee can't exceed what a 15 step 10 makes in a pay period. You have to get special exceptions to exceed that amount. Most high grade GS employees get comp time not OT. And even if you somehow got your command to pay OT, you cannot get time and a half past because your pay will exceed GS 15 step 10 hourly rate.

There are obviously exceptions in instances like your friend. But I spent almost a decade in meat grinder GS jobs and it was always comp time. It was rare to ever get true OT or extra hours per period because it impacts your command's budget.

nodropinufaka

Hey, you’re preaching to the choir. I think Navy DCO reservists should commission no more than a month before reporting to ODS - and that ODS is where they’ll get gained initially, get their uniforms, CAC card, Navy email, HIV blood draw, vaccines, PHA, first PRT, etc. At the end of ODS is where they would get their NOSC and unit assignments, and have the opportunity to get a quota for their career-specific training if they want to go soon.

why can’t they just do OCS?

If my roommate was 39 at ocs then anyone can make it

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
Did you not click on the link?

Your salary ABSOLUTELY can exceed GS-15 Step 10 when you work at agencies that do not use that goofy GS pay system.

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
Actually, even overtime. A GS employee can't exceed what a 15 step 10 makes in a pay period. You have to get special exceptions to exceed that amount. Most high grade GS employees get comp time not OT. And even if you somehow got your command to pay OT, you cannot get time and a half past because your pay will exceed GS 15 step 10 hourly rate.

There are obviously exceptions in instances like your friend. But I spent almost a decade in meat grinder GS jobs and it was always comp time. It was rare to ever get true OT or extra hours per period because it impacts your command's budget.
An example of a fed job that exceeds GS-15 Step 10 which when compared to a GS they are a GS-14. But as you can see, whoever secures this job can make over $200k as a fed working the usual 40/hr workweek.

See link below: