• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mk-82's

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Scab said:
Any ideas which navy squadron will be over there this fall? would be nice to be around some navy squadrons...gets old being the lone navy officer on the base.

scab
Was going to be 133, but that's all been changed now. From what I heard, there had been some bad blood between the A-10s and the Prowlers. Something about the Prowlers coming into the break at five bills during the sissy AF's version of crew rest. Sounds like good clean fun to me.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's it feel like in the aircraft when you drop a couple Mk-82s together? Is there a noticeable jolt or something because you just dumped 1000 lbs off the aircraft?

Scab

pilot
SteveG75 said:
Four? Is that all?

Actually the A-10 is cool. Only USAF airplane that is truly "Attack". And remember, if you don't fly attack, you fly support.

Of course, I do like the days of 28 MK 82's. Of course, it was only 22 when you had the centerline drop. But no 30mm cannon. :(

Meat,

I won't even go into how much/many different things you can hang on an A-10 (you can fit a lot on 11 stations). Besides I love the A-6 (drive past a hundred of them every day on the way to work). Wish I could have made it to Whidbey to fly them before they went away, but I got sent a different direction out of flight school.

scab

Scab

pilot
Fly Navy said:
What's it feel like in the aircraft when you drop a couple Mk-82s together? Is there a noticeable jolt or something because you just dumped 1000 lbs off the aircraft?
I'm not speaking from much experience, but I could feel them leaving the jet. Obviously helped the performance of the jet (those TF-34's don't produce that much thrust).

Scab

pilot
Brett327 said:
Was going to be 133, but that's all been changed now. From what I heard, there had been some bad blood between the A-10s and the Prowlers. Something about the Prowlers coming into the break at five bills during the sissy AF's version of crew rest. Sounds like good clean fun to me.

Brett

Don't even get me started on coming into the break.... something the AF doesn't understand; now limited to 300 kias :(

And crew rest... all I get are looks of disbelief when I mention 3710 and the only hard and fast navy rule=> more than 18 hours crew day=15 hours uninterrupted crew rest.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Scab said:
Meat,

I won't even go into how much/many different things you can hang on an A-10 (you can fit a lot on 11 stations). Besides I love the A-6 (drive past a hundred of them every day on the way to work). Wish I could have made it to Whidbey to fly them before they went away, but I got sent a different direction out of flight school.

scab

scab,

Just joshing you, that A-10 is one sweet toy.

The nice thing about MERs and TERs was the ability to go parent rack for the 84's and such and then hang a buttload of smaller stuff if necessary. After all, we only had 5 station on the mighty war pig. When I closed the door on my Intruder squadron, the only thing in the Navy inventory at the time that we were not cleared to carry were AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM-54 Phoenix. Everything else was fair game.

In my short time, I carried SLAM, IR Mav, Laser Mav, Sidewinder and HARM (some CATM, some live for OSW). I managed to drop 82 slick, 82 snake, 83 slick, 83 with the ballute retard, 84 slick, LGTR, Mk-20 Rockeye, Walleye I (1000lb variant) and of course 76's and 33's.

It was all good. You are now flying the only TRUE ATTACK platform in the United States Armed Forces inventory (even if it is USAF ;) ). So as a Navy Attack pilot, I give you:

THE MISSION - ATTACK

"FIGHTER PILOTS MAKE MOVIES; ATTACK PILOTS MAKE HISTORY"
Steven Coonts

1) The mission of the aircraft carrier is to put ordnance on target. Everything else such as Indian Country, unreps, the grid, SSC, and anything else starting with F- is simply support for the attack mission.

2 )You win the war by killing the enemy by the thousands, not one at a time at twenty thousand feet.

3) In peacetime, DCM is something the attack pilot uses to rejoin off the range.

4) In wartime, DCM is something the attack pilot uses to turn and shoot some ******* in the face who's trying to stop the attack pilot before he destroys his high value target.

5) There is no such thing as defensive DCM. I become offended when someone jumps me enroute to my target, and much offense is intended when I have to take the time to blow his ass off.

6) Concerning the tally of Medal of Honor winners in southeast Asia, the score tells it all: Attack = 5, Fighter = 0.

7) In wartime, our POW's were not released because the enemy sent representatives to sit smugly at peace talks. They were not released because domestic antiwar groups unwittingly played into the hands of the enemy, and tied the hands of their countrymen at arms. They were not released because the enemy lost five aircraft to a select few called aces. They were released because brave men took their bombers downtown and spoke personally to their captors in the only language the enemy understands:
Iron bombs raining down on their heads!

8) These lessons have been forged in blood and steel by all those attack pilots and bombadiers who have gone before you; back when happiness was flying Spads; back when jets were hard-lighting and mean, and only quiche-eatin' airline pukes flew fans; back when Spads roamed valleys and spit death to those who would try to stop them; in an earlier time when the biggest cadillac in town was called "BUFF" and when men took pride in decorating their leather flight jackets with; "I've Been There" Patches, and the enemy hid every 1 + 45 because he knew the next cycle of the attack carrier was headed his way. Times change, technology changes, but the men in the cockpit must be the same brave warriors every age has counted upon in time of peril.

9)Finally, and this is the bottom line! Real men fly attack because they understand the most fundamental law of wartime negotiations; you negotiate with the enemy with your knee in his chest and your knife at his throat.

SteveG75

None
Brett327 said:
We had an A-10 guy do a PEP tour in my Prowler squadron and he was one of the MOST annoying (pathetic is more like it) AF guys I've ever known.

Brett

"FRIBAT" ???

Scab

pilot
SteveG75 said:
"FRIBAT" ???
hilarious callsign. I think its:
Flew Right Into a Big Ass Tower
heard the story down here several times.

Nice Coonts quote.

scab

SteveG75

None
Scab said:

Nice Coonts quote.

scab

That's our boy.

After Hollywood trashed the book making it into a movie, it became:

FIGHTER PILOTS MAKE MOVIES, ATTACK PILOTS MAKE BAD MOVIES! :icon_wink

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Well....the H-53E can carry 45 Mk-82 and 10K of gas...in a hover...ha haa haa haa!!!!!!...

Uhhh...never mind...I'm drunk. :drunk_125

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Scab said:

Nice Coonts quote.

scab
Even worse - Dorf.

Brett

Scab

pilot
UInavy said:
I would argue that the Rhino is a true attack A/C, if not a pure attack A/C. It can also defend itself pretty well on said attack mission.
I have nothing but the highest opinion of Super's. I've tanked off them many times ;-).

It pains me to argue towards an AF jet...but answer this...

If you were a FAC with troops in contact, and you could work a section of any two aircraft you wanted...what would you choose?

come to think of it I'd probably go for some apaches or cobras...but lets think fixed wing.

In a non-laser designating/non mensurated coordinate environment, can modern jets get ordnance on target (I honestly don't know how much they train for it....I know the A-10 community spends 24/7 working it)?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Scab said:
I have nothing but the highest opinion of Super's. I've tanked off them many times ;-).

It pains me to argue towards an AF jet...but answer this...

If you were a FAC with troops in contact, and you could work a section of any two aircraft you wanted...what would you choose?

come to think of it I'd probably go for some apaches or cobras...but lets think fixed wing.

In a non-laser designating/non mensurated coordinate environment, can modern jets get ordnance on target (I honestly don't know how much they train for it....I know the A-10 community spends 24/7 working it)?

Fairly big fan of the A-10, controlled them a few times but the bottom line is that if we are talking fixed wing only The A-10 would not be top on my list, they have this bad habit of fragging friendlies. Yes there was a FAC partially at fault in OIF I but the track record isnt so good. I would want Marine Hornets or Harriers and as an example I would point to Fallujah lots and lots of ordinance dropped, lots and lots of friendlies in and around, the whole area is not more than 9 square miles and there was no incident of air to ground fratricide.