• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mk-82's

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
scab,

Just joshing you, that A-10 is one sweet toy.

The nice thing about MERs and TERs was the ability to go parent rack for the 84's and such and then hang a buttload of smaller stuff if necessary. After all, we only had 5 station on the mighty war pig. When I closed the door on my Intruder squadron, the only thing in the Navy inventory at the time that we were not cleared to carry were AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM-54 Phoenix. Everything else was fair game.

In my short time, I carried SLAM, IR Mav, Laser Mav, Sidewinder and HARM (some CATM, some live for OSW). I managed to drop 82 slick, 82 snake, 83 slick, 83 with the ballute retard, 84 slick, LGTR, Mk-20 Rockeye, Walleye I (1000lb variant) and of course 76's and 33's.

It was all good. You are now flying the only TRUE ATTACK platform in the United States Armed Forces inventory (even if it is USAF ;) ). So as a Navy Attack pilot, I give you:

THE MISSION - ATTACK

"FIGHTER PILOTS MAKE MOVIES; ATTACK PILOTS MAKE HISTORY"
Steven Coonts

1) The mission of the aircraft carrier is to put ordnance on target. Everything else such as Indian Country, unreps, the grid, SSC, and anything else starting with F- is simply support for the attack mission.

2 )You win the war by killing the enemy by the thousands, not one at a time at twenty thousand feet.

3) In peacetime, DCM is something the attack pilot uses to rejoin off the range.

4) In wartime, DCM is something the attack pilot uses to turn and shoot some ******* in the face who's trying to stop the attack pilot before he destroys his high value target.

5) There is no such thing as defensive DCM. I become offended when someone jumps me enroute to my target, and much offense is intended when I have to take the time to blow his ass off.

6) Concerning the tally of Medal of Honor winners in southeast Asia, the score tells it all: Attack = 5, Fighter = 0.

7) In wartime, our POW's were not released because the enemy sent representatives to sit smugly at peace talks. They were not released because domestic antiwar groups unwittingly played into the hands of the enemy, and tied the hands of their countrymen at arms. They were not released because the enemy lost five aircraft to a select few called aces. They were released because brave men took their bombers downtown and spoke personally to their captors in the only language the enemy understands:
Iron bombs raining down on their heads!

8) These lessons have been forged in blood and steel by all those attack pilots and bombadiers who have gone before you; back when happiness was flying Spads; back when jets were hard-lighting and mean, and only quiche-eatin' airline pukes flew fans; back when Spads roamed valleys and spit death to those who would try to stop them; in an earlier time when the biggest cadillac in town was called "BUFF" and when men took pride in decorating their leather flight jackets with; "I've Been There" Patches, and the enemy hid every 1 + 45 because he knew the next cycle of the attack carrier was headed his way. Times change, technology changes, but the men in the cockpit must be the same brave warriors every age has counted upon in time of peril.

9)Finally, and this is the bottom line! Real men fly attack because they understand the most fundamental law of wartime negotiations; you negotiate with the enemy with your knee in his chest and your knife at his throat.

I would caveat that with real men fly CAS because it is not the aviator who kicks in the door to an enemy's house throws him to the ground, puts a knife to jis throat and tells him "this is how it will be". It is a 19 year old Lance Corporal.

It matters not how much steel is rained on a city it matters when you stand on the enemies dirt, plant a flag on it and start the war crimes trials.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
"FRIBAT" ???

He was 128, we got Ozone as his replacement. For some strange reason FRIBAT didn't volunteer too fly many extra flights.

Lawman

None
brd2881 said:
What about the harrier as a "true" attack platform? Attack is its only mission right?

Tell that to the Brits. Theres a few former Mirage pilots that Im sure wish they could agree with you.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Skid is the FAC, so he's more qualified to answer that question than anyone here. In fact, I'd say he's the only one with a real answer. I know we train toward CAS, but not nearly 24/7. I don't know how much CAS training we do compared to the USMC. What I do know is that there have been very few two-seat squadrons (F) deployed so far and that it would seem to be a more formidable weapon than single-seat of the same type if nothing else. There will be more F's around in the future for sure and the workload in the CAS environment (training is all I know) would seem to be reduced with the number of aircrew in the jet. My 2 cents.

Skid, have you ever worked F's as a FAC? Comments?

I was FACing in that strange period between OIF I and the insurgency so not a lot of work but lots of debreifs with others. I only worked Es at TACP school in 2002. They had software issues but a good job, havent worked Fs maybe next month for a FAC(A) rodeo Ill let you know

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
skidkid said:
I was FACing in that strange period between OIF I and the insurgency so not a lot of work but lots of debreifs with others. I only worked Es at TACP school in 2002. They had software issues but a good job, havent worked Fs maybe next month for a FAC(A) rodeo Ill let you know

Are the E's and F's designed to do one mission better than the other (other than tanking...)?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
P-3's, 20K of love on 18 stations....

not that we ever get any real bombs to play with...

I'm pretty fly with the blue death though, i can hit the water every time!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
P-3's, 20K of love on 18 stations....

not that we ever get any real bombs to play with...

I'm pretty fly with the blue death though, i can hit the water every time!
Back in the day, we'd load up 18 x MK-82(live) at least once a year for a little fishkill-ex. Where do you guys go at NUW to drop stuff? Boardman? Water?

Good times,

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Back in the day, we'd load up 18 x MK-82(live) at least once a year for a little fishkill-ex. Where do you guys go at NUW to drop stuff? Boardman? Water?

we go to the "bombex" area, which is out over the water. Hitting the water takes skill, but i think i've mastered it. so if you're in the water, watch out!

we do somewhat frequently get to drop rockeye's (cluster bombs are VERY accurate), but i have yet to participate in it. I hear it's a blast (pun intended).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
.........Surprised A4's isn't in here getting all teary eyed!

I only get teary-eyed when I weep for the future of Naval Aviation ......

an340ku.jpg
.... the HORROR .....

Oh, by the way .... in decreasing order of satisfaction ... the list :

1. GUNS/STRAFING .... THE BEST !!! INSTANT GRATIFICATION !!! RAT-TAT-TAT !!! .50 cal and 20 mm ..... John Wayne would be proud .... and we are not talking about the current version of a buzzsaw that is called a "gun" ... I said guns: Boom-boom-boom-boom ... etc.

2. BOMBS ..... lots of 'em , the bigger the better .... very nice. Very colorful when looking over your shoulder and standing the bird on it's tail @ 4-5 "G's" and reaching for the sky ....

3. ROCKETS .... they're O.K. , good hits, but they kind of make a "swishy" sound when they come off the wings .... disturbing ... not as personally satisfying.

PGM's ??? .... I know nothing of this phenomenon; wish we'd had them. However, I suspect a very LOW level of personal satisfaction may be gained from said weapons while looking through a "TV" screen ....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
we go to the "bombex" area, which is out over the water. Hitting the water takes skill, but i think i've mastered it. so if you're in the water, watch out!

we do somewhat frequently get to drop rockeye's (cluster bombs are VERY accurate), but i have yet to participate in it. I hear it's a blast (pun intended).
Back in Bosnia, we carried a bunch of MK-20s (and MK 50 as well) and one time, we were about 30 seconds from dropping on this cigarette boat inbound to the CVN - KILL RDY and everything. Got called off at the last second.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Just curious what seperates today's 20mm from the old ones that makes them more of a "buzzsaw".

Older 20mm were single-barrel cannons, as opposed to the M61 multi-barrel (6 right?) cannon.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
Ahhh, okay, that explains the "Boom-Boom" vice the buzzsaw analaogy.....

No ..... NO ..... NO!!!

Boom-Boom was/is (?) a (very good) dancer @ the Marmont 3 Club in Olongapo City, Pill-i-peens, Sir ....... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BTW .... talkin' bombs ??? Mk-84's are the name of the game ...... very sweet---- to use the current venacular.

BTW #2 ....... this is post # 999 .... is that Satan upside-down ?????

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
the best explosion has to be CBUs, only thing better than a CBU explosion was watching 8 of them going off at the same time ... napal, i mean firebombs are only cool in the movies, i was dissapointed at them (from the air that is, i wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of them)

as for CAS, i'm not sure anybody in the world can do CAS as good as a Marine Cobra FAC(A)'n for Marine Harriers & Hornets ... just my opinion, and opinions of most Marine FACs i've talked with. now, if we could just talk the Marine Corps brass into buying the A-10 & AC-130's ...

S/F

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
CBU's (cluster bombs) are great --- God, how we used to love our Rockeye's!! --- but they cannot pack the punch of the Mk-84. CBU's are basically the explosive weight equivalent of a Mk-82 in most of the CBU permutations. They really are two distinctly different animals --- CBU's and MK-80 series bombs --- they're much different in function and employment.

Most targets are something you only want to "do" once. The difference in the destructive power inherent in a Mk-84 (frag pattern, explosive force, cratering, etc.) versus anything in the 500 lb range is exponentially greater by nature. Maybe an illustration will tell you why we used to love to carry Mk-84's ......

gpbht14mo.gif
.... Oh, Mamma ....