• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mk-82's

Scab

pilot
No questions, just an observation....

Doing an exchange tour with the AF, and I had my last flight in the A-10 RAG/RTU (navy pilot on an exchange tour-first attack aircraft). Got to drop 4 Mk-82's today and I just wanted to comment on how much dropping bombs rocks.

After all the blue death I've dropped in the navy training command and, for the last 5 months, in the A-10 rag, it was righteous to look back over my shoulder today and see the fireball/explosions (wish I could figure out how to upload 8mm to computer--IP caught on his HUD). I know it was only Mk-82's but much, much better than BDU-33's. My hats off to all attack pilots--so this is what I've been missing.

Well, off to Bagram in a couple of months. Hope to drop more over there.

scab

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Scab said:
No questions, just an observation....

Doing an exchange tour with the AF, and I had my last flight in the A-10 RAG/RTU (navy pilot on an exchange tour-first attack aircraft). Got to drop 4 Mk-82's today and I just wanted to comment on how much dropping bombs rocks.

After all the blue death I've dropped in the navy training command and, for the last 5 months, in the A-10 rag, it was righteous to look back over my shoulder today and see the fireball/explosions (wish I could figure out how to upload 8mm to computer--IP caught on his HUD). I know it was only Mk-82's but much, much better than BDU-33's. My hats off to all attack pilots--so this is what I've been missing.

Well, off to Bagram in a couple of months. Hope to drop more over there.

scab
Well, at least you'll be able to hang w/ some Prowler folks there when the AF dudes become too annoying to be around.

Good times,

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A-10 guys are generally not as annoying as other Air Force types.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bet you could tkae your 8mm to a photographer/video shop and they could convert to digital video.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The shot of Whiskey from a 30mm casing is a bit hard to do but once you get past that they are a lot of fun

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
The shot of Whiskey from a 30mm casing is a bit hard to do but once you get past that they are a lot of fun

Shot? That's a full fvcking drink lol

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Four? Is that all?

Actually the A-10 is cool. Only USAF airplane that is truly "Attack". And remember, if you don't fly attack, you fly support.

Of course, I do like the days of 28 MK 82's. Of course, it was only 22 when you had the centerline drop. But no 30mm cannon. :(

Attachments

• A6E Bomber.jpg
    A6E Bomber.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 120

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Mmm, that depleted uranium sure is tasty! We had an A-10 guy do a PEP tour in my Prowler squadron and he was one of the MOST annoying (pathetic is more like it) AF guys I've ever known.

Brett

ip568

None
Try VP. You'll get to try hitting a submarine you can't see with a 40-year-old Mk-46 torp while the sub is beating feet to get away.

p-2_drop.jpg

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
I got to keep the pins from my first two MK-82's. Kind of a neat keepsake. Strafing with 20mm is loud enough, I can't imagine what its like with the 30mm!!

Our 20 isnt that bad for noise but maybe that is because the rotor is already so loud it drowns it out.
We get to keep the tube from the first TOW shot(only if you hit the target). Im going to to incorporate it into the design of my bar someday.

Scab

pilot
Brett327 said:
Well, at least you'll be able to hang w/ some Prowler folks there when the AF dudes become too annoying to be around.

Good times,

Brett
Any ideas which navy squadron will be over there this fall? would be nice to be around some navy squadrons...gets old being the lone navy officer on the base.

scab

Scab

pilot
UInavy said:
I got to keep the pins from my first two MK-82's. Kind of a neat keepsake. Strafing with 20mm is loud enough, I can't imagine what its like with the 30mm!!
I kept the pins from mine as well.

Firing the 30mm is awesome. Get to fire at least 100 rounds a flight. Someday I'll master this 8mm to computer skill and post some low angle strafing runs. Maybe I'll have some good hud video when I get back from deployment in the winter.

scab

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
SteveG75 said:
Four? Is that all?

Actually the A-10 is cool. Only USAF airplane that is truly "Attack". And remember, if you don't fly attack, you fly support.

Of course, I do like the days of 28 MK 82's. Of course, it was only 22 when you had the centerline drop. But no 30mm cannon. :(

I think you can fit a full 24 with a centerline droptank ifyou take off the landing gear doors, Correct me if Im wrong tough. Ive only loaded one A-6 in my time and it was so that it could sit in a museum with 22 Mk 82s on a MER.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
Try VP. You'll get to try hitting a submarine you can't see with a 40-year-old Mk-46 torp while the sub is beating feet to get away.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Scab has wielded a MK-46 or two in his day.

Brett