• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Missing Air France Jet over the Atlantic ...

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
<<<"A report by investigators says crumpled walls, a distorted toilet stall and food trolleys that appeared to be compressed from the bottom were among indications that the plane hit the water hard at a relatively shallow angle.">>>

<<<"Bouillard said airspeed sensors known as pitot tubes were an "element, but not the cause" of the accident.">>>

Emphasis mine.

Hm-m-m. Just "free thinking" here...but would not be the first time an airliner's flight was terminated by ground impact following a flat spin induced by loss of control as a result of discrepancy between flight instument pressure system (pitot/static problem...like icing) and gyro indicating system.

(Think Northwest B-727 near White Plains, NY circa 1974...)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't like to say 'never' as I've had to eat my words too many times ... but I'm gonna' say "NEVER HAPPEN" -- i.e., losing an aircraft for hours -- on the NORPAC/Pacific ICAO Route system -- that's based upon the experience of many, many years, thousands of hours, and hundreds of crossings ...

To wit: +/- 3 minutes past your reporting point and no report is received from a TransPac aircraft?? Well, SFO, HNL, and/or Tokyo ARINC start lookin' for you -- and they don't 'quit' until they find you. And that's just for starters -- in or out (usually OUT in this case) of radar coverage. I've 'seen' it. :)

Quote from the FED's DOT Pacific ICAO publication:
"When a periodic or waypoint change event report is overdue by 3 minutes (emphasis added), the controller shall take action to obtain a report."

_45858989_plane_crash_weather2_466.gif

Brazil, Africa (French) in Dispute Over Who Controlled Doomed Air France 447

Vital Hours Lost in Air France Search

Brazil Claims Jet 'in Senegal's Control' .... audio recording.
The link works; I tried it ... :)

It would seem that both involved ATC bureaucracies are pointing fingers and trying to pass the buck ... and any collateral responsibility for tracking AF 447.