• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mishap on film

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
In simple words, what exactly happened? Did the controls lock and the pilot couldnt pull out? It just makes me sick to my stomach wondering if this could happen to me or my buddies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In simple words, what exactly happened? Did the controls lock and the pilot couldnt pull out? It just makes me sick to my stomach wondering if this could happen to me or my buddies.
Couldn't pull out? I think the root of the problem was too much pulling in the first place/inability to not pull.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Wait till you see the C-2 crash off the carrier....

FlyingBeagle

pilot
What is with the guy taping? How do you watch that and then say "I cannot believe it. It's all over" in a perfectly calm voice. He sounded bored. I think I would feel obligated to scream something like "Oh my God! The humanity. . ." His response just doesn't seem to be what I'd expect for someone witnessing three deaths.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is with the guy taping? How do you watch that and then say "I cannot believe it. It's all over" in a perfectly calm voice. He sounded bored. I think I would feel obligated to scream something like "Oh my God! The humanity. . ." His response just doesn't seem to be what I'd expect for someone witnessing three deaths.

Because not everyone reacts in a Hollywood fashion. Have you ever watched 3 people die in front of you? I know I haven't.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In simple words, what exactly happened? Did the controls lock and the pilot couldn't pull out? It just makes me sick to my stomach wondering if this could happen to me or my buddies.

Most light aircraft have a control lock. Usually it is a mechanical device manually inserted into the control column that prevents the control surfaces from flopping around in the wind. Some aircraft have integral locks, just a lever you move. I believe the Caribou (the aircraft in the video) has an integral lock. They didn't unlock it so the controls were locked in a specific position. It wasn't just the preflight they screwed up. Standard procedure on taking the runway is to wipe out the cockpit and look for full range of motion on the controls. I flew a Shorts 360 back in the day. It had an integral lock and we did try to take the runway once with it in the locked position. As we crossed the hold short we wiped out he controls and could it. Needless to say we were very humbled. Total disaster in the Shorts was unlike likely since the control lock also restriced the power levers to less then 25% travel (if that feature worked). Still, not an incident I am proud of.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
In boot camp in 1997 I witnessed a recruit putting an M-16 into his mouth on the 500-yd line of the range and pulling the trigger. My reaction? "Does this mean training is cancelled?" Seriously. I was horrified and stunned but THAT was my split-second comment. I don't know where it came from but I suppose your mind does crazy things to protect your emotional well-being. Not every death is coupled with horrified screams of "Dear God...NOOOOOO!!!!"
For further proof recall the footage of 9/11 where some people were seen standing in silence, others were smiling, and others were crying/screaming. You just don't know how you'll react. And by the way, the laughing/smiling reaction is supposedly very common according to a paper my wife read last year called Complex Responses to Trauma: Challenges in Bearing Witness by A. Perlesz in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Family Therapy.

Sorry to dork it out, but it's an interesting topic.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In boot camp in 1997 I witnessed a recruit putting an M-16 into his mouth on the 500-yd line of the range and pulling the trigger. My reaction? "Does this mean training is cancelled?" Seriously. I was horrified and stunned but THAT was my split-second comment. I don't know where it came from but I suppose your mind does crazy things to protect your emotional well-being. Not every death is coupled with horrified screams of "Dear God...NOOOOOO!!!!"
For further proof recall the footage of 9/11 where some people were seen standing in silence, others were smiling, and others were crying/screaming. You just don't know how you'll react. And by the way, the laughing/smiling reaction is supposedly very common according to a paper my wife read last year called Complex Responses to Trauma: Challenges in Bearing Witness by A. Perlesz in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Family Therapy.

Sorry to dork it out, but it's an interesting topic.

And a major factor in how someone reacts is the level of training and experience. Police Officers involved in shootings are a good example as well as experienced aviators. Someone highly trained will know what to expect in terms of psychological and physiological reactions and deal with them better. Someone with a great deal of experience in a risky endeavor will likely have already come to grips with the possible tragic outcomes because they know the risks and have accepted them.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And by the way, the laughing/smiling reaction is supposedly very common according to a paper my wife read last year called Complex Responses to Trauma: Challenges in Bearing Witness by A. Perlesz in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Family Therapy.

I've heard this too. I've read of a few accounts of people laughing at serious trauma. The brain doesn't always know how to process things and it'll just kind of throw a fit at times. They don't think it's ACTUALLY funny, they just don't know what else to do.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And a major factor in how someone reacts is the level of training and experience. Police Officers involved in shootings are a good example as well as experienced aviators. Someone highly trained will know what to expect in terms of psychological and physiological reactions and deal with them better. Someone with a great deal of experience in a risky endeavor will likely have already come to grips with the possible tragic outcomes because they know the risks and have accepted them.

Exactly. You can have kind of the opposite effect too. I saw a drive-by video some kids made of themselves paintballing people. One guy thought he was really getting shot and dropped like he was dead. Subconsciously, and this is proven in many cases, the brain thinks that is what it is supposed to do because you have seen that reaction so many times on movies, etc etc.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I've heard this too. I've read of a few accounts of people laughing at serious trauma. The brain doesn't always know how to process things and it'll just kind of throw a fit at times. They don't think it's ACTUALLY funny, they just don't know what else to do.

It's very common in teenagers. Something about how the brain develops. Basically, when a developing teenage brain is confronted with something really shocking or traumatizing, it sort of shorts out and causes the person to laugh.