• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

misdemeanor for reckless driving

ab187

Yea, so obviously I know it was dumb. I appreciate all the advice. I also am shocked that some people would try to smack me down. In my home state of Texas, this would have been 110 bucks and a good luck.

Man maybe my perspective is different since it's a big state but I hear all the time about city cops and state troopers pulling people over for 5-10 mph over the limit and being anything but nice. Knowing some of the 35 mph limits around here if I was caught going 83 I wouldn't be surprised if I was thrown in the back of a Tahoe.

exNavyOffRec

Man maybe my perspective is different since it's a big state but I hear all the time about city cops and state troopers pulling people over for 5-10 mph over the limit and being anything but nice. Knowing some of the 35 mph limits around here if I was caught going 83 I wouldn't be surprised if I was thrown in the back of a Tahoe.

A good friend of mine is a state trooper in a big state and he doesn't think about pulling a person over unless they are going over 10, and then he won't write a ticket unless they are going over 15, he said there are just too many speeders, but each trooper can have their own tolerance as to when to pull over.

youdonegoofed

pilot
i was convicted of reckless driving while going through primary, hasnt seemed to be an issue for me although i never reported it and was also already in obviously, but hey happens to the best of us

jtmedli

pilot
i was convicted of reckless driving while going through primary, hasnt seemed to be an issue for me although i never reported it and was also already in obviously, but hey happens to the best of us

It's a class 3 misdemeanor. You should absolutely have reported it to your squadron. People probably wouldn't have cared all that much but posting on here about it like that is probably not the best thing to be doing.

Edit: in VA it's a class 3. Not sure about other states.

Last edited:

azguy

None
It's a class 3 misdemeanor. You should absolutely have reported it to your squadron. People probably wouldn't have cared all that much but posting on here about it like that is probably not the best thing to be doing.

So the level of crime depends on the state, but yes, generally it's a misdemeanor.

As jtmedli said, you should definitely report this, assuming it's a misdemeanor in the jurisdiction you were convicted it. Generally, as long as you didn't go to jail and it's a 'vanilla' misdemeanor it won't affect your clearance.

If they find an unreported criminal conviction in your background during your periodic review, you are going to have a bad day.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If they find an unreported criminal conviction in your background during your periodic review, you are going to have a bad day.
Depends on how much his XO/CO will want to pursue Art 92, but it certainly won't be a good day for him.

azguy

None
Depends on how much his XO/CO will want to pursue Art 92, but it certainly won't be a good day for him.

Yes, but I wasn't even talking about Article 92.

If OPM and the CAF find an unreported criminal charge, your clearance will probably be suspended an/or revoked. From a career perspective alone, even a temporarily suspended clearance for an officer in the fleet is pretty detrimental.

youdonegoofed

pilot
wow didnt realize there would be such discussion over this. let me clarify.

this happened years ago, and since then i have obviously had to go through the process of getting a TS security clearance, which i reported the incident on and it wasnt an issue. im sure if the navy wanted to make a big deal out of it then they could have, but i dont think it has turned any heads over the years and I'm not going to draw any attention to it either

exNavyOffRec

If OPM and the CAF find an unreported criminal charge, your clearance will probably be suspended an/or revoked. From a career perspective alone, even a temporarily suspended clearance for an officer in the fleet is pretty detrimental.

yep, seen this happen, nothing like telling a guy he needs to stay on watch because his relief can no longer enter the propulsion spaces (he had a disorderly conduct ticket he never reported), or having a Dept Head (O-4) that could not stand watch or enter the propulsion spaces for similar issue. In both cases it took MONTHS to get it cleared up, in fact I think the O-4's took over 6 months because he had to do a modified re-qualification.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Virginia is horrible for tickets - if I remember correctly, radar detectors are illegal as well. Have had some luck in other states - patrolman along I-95 in Georgia clocked me at 23 over the limit, saw my military cover on the dash and wrote the ticket for only 14 over. Pay a fine but no points.

Be careful when driving overseas, the Europeans really like radar-photo tickets. Got pulled over by the French police on the A4 between Saarbrucken and Metz. That autobahn in Germany does not extend into France.... That said, they were very nice and gave us only a ticket. BTW, everybody needs to drive on the autobahn at least once in their life.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Virginia is horrible for tickets - if I remember correctly, radar detectors are illegal as well. Have had some luck in other states - patrolman along I-95 in Georgia clocked me at 23 over the limit, saw my military cover on the dash and wrote the ticket for only 14 over. Pay a fine but no points.

Yup, DC too. The VA police actually have radar detector detectors (yes, I researched it and many radar detectors can be detected) and are more than happy to give you a fine for having one.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So the level of crime depends on the state, but yes, generally it's a misdemeanor.

As jtmedli said, you should definitely report this, assuming it's a misdemeanor in the jurisdiction you were convicted it. Generally, as long as you didn't go to jail and it's a 'vanilla' misdemeanor it won't affect your clearance.

You can defiantly report it on your SF-86 when it's submitted. If it happens between the submission and the subject interview, report it during the interview and bring the documentation, or at least tell them where they can look through it.

Just ask Ted Branch

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...chiefs-security-clearance-suspended/18448311/

Some commands are pretty quick to pull the trigger on suspensions of clearance as a default punishment for things, even unrelated to security clearance issues. When that happens DoDCAF reviews the case and can overturn local commands access level suspensions and often do. When DoDCAF takes negative action your security clearance it becomes a lot harder of a process to overcome.

Speaking of- make sure you clearances are upto date before getting out (if you can have any influence on that). There's Plenty of demand for clearance holders in the job market on the outside.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

You can defiantly report it on your SF-86 when it's submitted. If it happens between the submission and the subject interview, report it during the interview and bring the documentation, or at least tell them where they can look through it.

Just ask Ted Branch

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...chiefs-security-clearance-suspended/18448311/

Some commands are pretty quick to pull the trigger on suspensions of clearance as a default punishment for things, even unrelated to security clearance issues. When that happens DoDCAF reviews the case and can overturn local commands access level suspensions and often do. When DoDCAF takes negative action your security clearance it becomes a lot harder of a process to overcome.

Speaking of- make sure you clearances are upto date before getting out (if you can have any influence on that). There's Plenty of demand for clearance holders in the job market on the outside.

The cases I had first hand knowledge of the command was notified a clearance was being suspended, came from top down, the command tried to get temp reinstatement but was always "no" the issues had to be cleared up first.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor

Be careful when driving overseas, the Europeans really like radar-photo tickets. Got pulled over by the French police on the A4 between Saarbrucken and Metz. That autobahn in Germany does not extend into France.... That said, they were very nice and gave us only a ticket. BTW, everybody needs to drive on the autobahn at least once in their life.

But the great thing about European tickets is that they don't affect car insurance and they are relatively cheap, unless you are going *way* over the limit. (Husband's GS coworker got an outgoing guy to take the rap for a way-over ticket, because he was still on probation after losing his license for 6 months for a ticket that was something like 100k over. Corvette.) When I volunteered at the library on base, the running joke was about which one of the staff (about 7 of us) got a ticket that week. I left with only 1 ticket, plus a second ticket on my car from went I lent it to visiting family, and that is less than anyone I know, and probably related to the fact that I drove a 2000 Toyota Echo, which wasn't capable of speeding in many cases.

Rumor was that several countries outlawed radar detector detectors, but thankfully many of the fixed ones were marked on the GPS, so you got a warning anyway. It didn't work for the portable ones, of course, but better than nothing.