• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

misdemeanor for reckless driving

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
...banging the admirals daughter on his front door step.
Bonus points for doing it standing doggy in the middle of the afternoon with your hand leaning against the doorbell and her head knocking on the door.

Go all out or go home.

jmcquate

Contributor
I thought 20 over in VA was auto jail…….maybe I am wrong
I hope your wrong. I do 60 in a 40 on a daily basis on the GW Parkway (I know, Federal jurisdiction.......but still) just to keep up with traffic. Most times on major roads in NOVA, going the limit is dangerous. But I agree 80 is too fast anywhere but Texas and all of those big empty places out west.

jtmedli

pilot
I hope your wrong. I do 60 in a 40 on a daily basis on the GW Parkway (I know, Federal jurisdiction.......but still) just to keep up with traffic. Most times on major roads in NOVA, going the limit is dangerous. But I agree 80 is too fast anywhere but Texas and all of those big empty places out west.

That's pretty much how 64 is around Norfolk/VB. It's a 55mph limit but most people do 65-70 so you're about 5mph from a reckless driving ticket at any given time if you're going with traffic.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought 20 over in VA was auto jail…….maybe I am wrong, but that is at least reckless driving by the weird state laws. Either way, 83 in a 35 is really dumb. I won't pretend that I didn't do similar things myself (without getting caught luckily), but I was also 17 at the time. I don't know enough about the recruiting side of things to say yay or nay, but I'd drive the speed limit for a few years and prove that horrible judgement wasn't my jam in the meantime.

It is 30 mph over when jail usually comes into play, 20 over usually doesn't result in jail time from what I have seen in traffic court. It is 20 over the speed limit and 80 or over, even if the sped limit is 70, for reckless driving in VA.

joshhems

Yea, so obviously I know it was dumb. I appreciate all the advice. I also am shocked that some people would try to smack me down. In my home state of Texas, this would have been 110 bucks and a good luck. I would have acted differently if I have known Virginia was so harsh. It's spilt milk now and I need to move on. If I cannot fly for the Navy I will fly for corporate. I will still submit a package as many times I can during my enlistment.

My lawyer says I should get my speedometer calibrated and do some community service. I am ready to face my punishment and get what I have earned. Any and all advice will be helpful. I will keep this thread updated.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't think you are dead in the water, but it is a blemish you will need to compensate for/explain. Keep pressing and you will probably be okay. Please tell me you weren't in some shitty V6 Camaro/Mustang though……...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there anything YOU can contribute to the thread
Yeah, probably some recent experience as an officer recruiter, along with what will/will not pass muster with those making the PROREC decisions.

jtmedli

pilot
I would have acted differently if I have known Virginia was so harsh.

Not to be a dick, but that statement kinda makes it sound like you knowingly did 83/35 and didn't give a shit because you wouldn't get punished. I'd refrain from putting that one in the OCS package.

I always brief my new enlisted about the laws in VA since many of them are from out of state. Not sure if all bases are this way, but NOB just recently decided to change the base rules to "anything exceeding 10 mph is reckless driving and an automatic 6 month suspension of your base driving privileges".

azguy

None
I've been through this a few times in VA. With, 83 in a 35 you are looking at SERIOUS jail time (it's not uncommon to do a weekend in lockup for going that fast...on the interstate) and loss of your license - or driving privilege in VA- if you have an out of state license, revocation of your auto-insurance, and losing out on your shot at the Navy. I don't say this to scare you, but you need to get a lawyer now.

Do you research. Avvo.com is a good website that will allow you to check out your candidates. Then call and get a free consult, this is a chance for you to get some free legal advice (from a lawyer, not dudes on AirWarriors), and figure out his/her fees. Then you can decide who to hire.

Good luck dude -- PM me if you have any other questions.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
No, I would say the long term career goal IS the "bigger thing", and his focus is correct. This is an impediment to getting where he wants to go.
Having lived a perfect life, you may have a difficult time relating to his situation.
Is there anything YOU can contribute to the thread other than sounding like his mom?

I don't know, perhaps my 3+ years in recruiting...

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
These are different times dude.

My timeline (and baggage):

-1994 when I was an enlisted Marine in NC, I got a DUI...paid fine to NC and drivers license suspended for a year; my command made me scrub shitters and rake leaves on my time (weekends and after work) for the next three months but no NJP or official punishment.

-1997 while I was in college, I got arrested and paid a fine for public intoxication.

-1998 while I was in college, I got arrested for public intoxication and attempted escape from police custody...both dismissed. Later in 1998, still in college, I got fined for open container and a purchasing alcohol for a minor, which was dismissed.

-1999 got accepted to Marine PLC-Air contract

-2015 retired as an O-4 from the Marine Corps after 20 years of service (4 enlisted, 16 officer) and 14 years of flying.

I've stayed out of trouble since my last incident, including no spending tickets since 1997.

Timing is everything though.. in 1999, the Marine Corps was desperate for pilots - the airlines were hiring and the economy was doing well... - that's the only reason I got picked up (and my former commanding officer, who I was working for when I got my DUI, wrote a really strong rec for me).

Apply, own up to the mistake, be humble and not a douche, and make better decisions.

Good luck!
S/F