• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

misdemeanor for reckless driving

joshhems

Got a reckless driving ticket in virginia, if I go to jail or get the misdemeanor charge can I still apply for sna?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got a reckless driving ticket in virginia, if I go to jail or get the misdemeanor charge can I still apply for sna?

Get a lawyer, while expensive it will likely save you a ton of money in the long run. What exactly is the ticket for? 20 or 30 over?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
83 in a 35, if I get convicted can I still apply?

I honestly don't know, hopefully one of the recruiters here will be able to give you some indication.

From what I have seen you likely will get some jail time but a decent lawyer will hopefully be able to mitigate it. If you don't show up with one at your hearing the judge will likely strongly advise you get one.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Get the best criminal defense lawyer you can afford. With no prior record, your attorney may get the charge lowered to speeding, but obviously that depends on the facts.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Virginia has a system designed for someone who has that type of ticket to get a lawyer, and get it reduced to a lesser charge that brings in the state more money. Look up reckless driving attorneys in VA. They'll be about $1k plus court fees plus the cost of the reduced ticket. Its VERY common. Usually for cases like those it's a bit over 20mph over a sign or going a few over 80.

In your situation, I'd do a little research and get the best attorney you can. The good news is you didn't get nailed doing over 100. I believe thats automatic jail time.

I'd probably budget $3k-5k for this entire process. Good luck.

Welcome to Virginia.

exNavyOffRec

The problem is that even if you get it reduced the USN looks at the violation you were charged with as they look at the actions that caused violation, so even if you get it reduced to speeding you will have to answer yes to have you been charged with a crime and go through the process for a waiver from the USN as if you had been convicted.

The other problem is that one of the things that makes violations less of an issue is time since violation, which is going to be fairly recent.

I would listen to others and get a lawyer, not so much for the USN application as you are pretty much screwed there, but for any potential civilian employers in the future, if you get it reduced to speeding you shouldn't have to disclose that you were charged with a crime.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I thought 20 over in VA was auto jail…….maybe I am wrong, but that is at least reckless driving by the weird state laws. Either way, 83 in a 35 is really dumb. I won't pretend that I didn't do similar things myself (without getting caught luckily), but I was also 17 at the time. I don't know enough about the recruiting side of things to say yay or nay, but I'd drive the speed limit for a few years and prove that horrible judgement wasn't my jam in the meantime.

HuggyU2

None
Maybe you should have thought about the consequences when going almost 50 over the limit. Right now you have bigger things to worry than applying to be an officer.
No, I would say the long term career goal IS the "bigger thing", and his focus is correct. This is an impediment to getting where he wants to go.
Having lived a perfect life, you may have a difficult time relating to his situation.
Is there anything YOU can contribute to the thread other than sounding like his mom?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In the old days, it would have been "Only 48 over? You're a pussy!"

My brother reported to his first shore tour in 1987 by the XO meeting him for the first time at 0200 on a Thursday night while bailing him out of jail for doing 135 in a 45... He was still the #1 LT on the next fitrep cycle.

While I don't think the joshhems did the particularly smart thing in this era of political correctness and zero defects, I do applaud the effort. There is a need to sometimes just say "fuck it" and let loose.

Oh yeah....I had a Virginia reckless driving ticket with a 10 day suspended jail sentence about 1 1/2 years before I applied for AOCS.

Last edited: