• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MIG-23 Ejection/Crash this past weekend . . . .

Rockriver

pilot
When I was a young ensign going through VA-174, the A-7 RAG at NAS Cecil Field in the fall of '77, the Constant Peg guys were doing a road show at all of the Navy bases, briefing everybody on what they'd learned. We had a "Secret" briefing for all pilots (A-7 didn't need no stinkin' NFO's ?) at the base theater. The one thing I remember about it was it wasn't going to turn with anybody and no one was going to run it down because it was so fast.
I got a similar brief at Miramar in ‘78. We were told if you engage it, shoot it down, because you’re not going to successfully run from it.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Man, hope that thing was either insured or the owner is stupid rich enough not to care.

Between that and some of the declassified stuff I’ve read about CONSTANT PEG, seems the Flogger is/was a bit of a widowmaker.
The owner is a UA pilot. I flew with him several years ago when he was a captain on the Airbus. Some fascinating stories. At the time he had a squadron's worth of MIG-23's/parts but only one was airworthy and was working on a second one. IIRC his wife had/has a really good job.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The owner is a UA pilot. I flew with him several years ago when he was a captain on the Airbus. Some fascinating stories. At the time he had a squadron's worth of MIG-23's/parts but only one was airworthy and was working on a second one. IIRC his wife had/has a really good job.

Was he once a reservist B/N? You can't be a reserve NFO without a sugar mama.....it is like codified into the instruction

JustAGuy

pilot
Good video and interview, thanks for sharing . . .
Completely agree. This would be a worthy tool to show new aircrew what happens in a situation like this and the little bit of time that you have to make all the decisions you need to. But most importantly when it's time to know that you have done everything you can and the handle is your only and last option.

I sadly have friends that pulled the handle late and didn't make it. Believe the investigation said they were about 0.4 seconds too late in pulling the handle due to their sink rate.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was he once a reservist B/N? You can't be a reserve NFO without a sugar mama.....it is like codified into the instruction
Much as I wouldn’t mind being a kept man of leisure, this must only apply to hardware units. ?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who’s suing whom?
Everyone will sue everyone else. There was a contractor operated helo mishap here a couple years ago, fatalities involved. Various lawsuits were ramping up against the contractor and the government even before NTSB released its investigation.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Semi-sarcastic quote from whoever the interview guy is: "yeah, it's kind of a Navy thing, you roll your sleeves up and don't wear gloves because it looks cool."

Tell me you've never flown off the boat without telling me you've never flown off the boat.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'd be surprised dude. Things have gotten pretty lax, at least on my boat, regarding sleeves and gloves.

Not sure if it's trending on other boats, but I see aviators walking to jets on the flight deck all the time without gloves.
So 3710.7 doesn’t apply to them?
“3710.7” said:
8.2.1.1.c. Fire-resistant (aramid) flight gloves

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
So 3710.7 doesn’t apply to them?
I have also seen what @Gonzo08 is talking about. My first cruise's airboss would definitely yell at dudes he saw over the radio about to launch without gloves on and sleeves rolled down... the most recent cruise I did was basically just the CVN Safety O begging guys to do it with little to no effect. Maybe Handler would get on people's cases, but that seemed more out of spite than any sense of Safety. Definitely had to self police.

Not saying it's right, but saying the leadership capital was spent on other things.