• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MIG-23 Ejection/Crash this past weekend . . . .

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting. Of course I always personally found it weird both as a pilot and a FO to fly without gloves, but that was just me. I bet in 10 more years, Air Bosses etc. will be using the 5MC to leap up LTJG Snuffy's ass about it again.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Interesting. Of course I always personally found it weird both as a pilot and a FO to fly without gloves, but that was just me. I bet in 10 more years, Air Bosses etc. will be using the 5MC to leap up LTJG Snuffy's ass about it again.
I think gloves in a non ejection seat aircraft are worthless - and some of these Naval Aviation norms are just silly - "in the name of SAFETY", "do it for the CHILDREN!"

I was always under the impression that 3710 had an exception for "over water ops" - the thinking at the time that bare hands aided in egress after ditching. That has clearly changed:

1693965788727.png

What do F-35 dudes/dudettes do wrt touch screens?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I think gloves in a non ejection seat aircraft are worthless...
I humbly disagree. The OIC of our 4 helo det in Iraq was in a bad mishap, that I witnessed as dash-2.

He often didn't wear gloves. He, his copilot, and 1 crew chief were able to egress the post-crash fire.

The only significant injuries he suffered were very bad burns to his hands.

Last edited:

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd humbly disagree. The OIC of our 4 helo det in Iraq was in a bad mishap in Iraq, that I witnessed as dash-2.

He often didn't wear gloves. He, his copilot, and 1 crew chief were able to egress the post-crash fire.

The only significant injuries he suffered were very bad burns to his hands.
Well, there's the more mundane day-to-day problem that there's just so much random nasty shit you can jab/bash your hands on in the corners and recesses of the cockpit, or at least there was in a Prowler. Edges of things here, random safety wires there that didn't quite get trimmed short enough . . . preflight, too.

One of my Sailors ended up having to on some pretty hefty antibiotics, and the docs were happy they caught it when they did, after she got infected with some damn pestilence by getting jabbed with a safety wire.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I kept the gloves in my g-suit ankle pockets, then put them on while I was walking the flight deck. Immediately removed them and put them back in pockets once I was in the cockpit. Aint nobody gonna make me wear them in the jet. Never had an AB yell about that, but I did hear people getting yelled at many times who didn't have the common decency to pretend while out in the open of the flight deck :)

HuggyU2

None
...I see aviators walking to jets on the flight deck all the time without gloves.
Is this a rule only on the ship? On a land flightline, are you supposed to have your gloves on when walking to the jet?

I tried those Wiley X gloves above, and couldn't get a good fit at all.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I kept the gloves in my g-suit ankle pockets, then put them on while I was walking the flight deck. Immediately removed them and put them back in pockets once I was in the cockpit. Aint nobody gonna make me wear them in the jet. Never had an AB yell about that, but I did hear people getting yelled at many times who didn't have the common decency to pretend while out in the open of the flight deck :)
This... While it is generally a smart practice, I would never make someone wear gloves in the cockpit. People understand the risks and can make their own decisions.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't know how you do it, MIDNJAC. When I take my gloves off in the jet, I'm almost guaranteed to get poked by a wire, cut by a sharp piece of sheet metal, etc...

Haha fair enough. I have definitely left blood in the cockpit a time or two before.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this a rule only on the ship? On a land flightline, are you supposed to have your gloves on when walking to the jet?

I tried those Wiley X gloves above, and couldn't get a good fit at all.
The formal rule used to be (at least in my old air wing 10 years ago) the opposite. That things were more lax ashore but that afloat, you wore the damn PPE at least where higher could see. @Gonzo08 and I cruised together as JOs, hence his remark about how things are looser now.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The formal rule used to be (at least in my old air wing 10 years ago) the opposite. That things were more lax ashore but that afloat, you wore the damn PPE at least where higher could see. @Gonzo08 and I cruised together as JOs, hence his remark about how things are looser now.

I think you could probably walk to the jet without your helmet on. Nobody does this, and the PC would look at you like my8 yr old looks at me when I crop dust him, but it would be fine. I actually want to see someone get into the airplane and motion for the PC to help them with their helmet like AF dudes. I have never walked on a jet with gloves on, ashore, to Huggy's question.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
You guys and your safety with gloves. Wait till I tell you about Air Force maintenance climbing on jets and not wearing cranials…
Or a mech using a ladder to pull some quick maintenance during a turn around. I swear I checked to see if QA was looking first.