• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MH-60S with a M197 20mm cannon!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes, but we don't have the time or money or need to make you both a champion dipper and a champion sled tower (piss on that job with a -60, btw).
Exactly. My point was just that any of us could do each other's job with enough flight time/money; none of our mission areas are so highly specialized that we couldn't do them just as well as the other guy with the applicable training.

As far as towing with a 60; been there, done that.

iOrdie56379

I am one of the first fleet ordies to work this system. It is not without its problem but damn i can't wait to see some vids of this thing shooting. IYAOYAS!

Attachments

• 2012-08-22_08-29-28_965.jpg
    2012-08-22_08-29-28_965.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I am one of the first fleet ordies to work this system. It is not without its problem but damn i can't wait to see some vids of this thing shooting. IYAOYAS!
Interesting.

What is the purpose of that grey cover with the Swiss cheese holes in it? Also is there any type of recoil damping integrated with your flight control/stab system? Or is this literally just a shoot from the hip/grease pencil weapon?

iOrdie56379

Fixed forward but I believe its sighted with a laser don't quote me on that i'm just an I-level AO. However there are two recoil dampers and for the swiss cheese cover for the barrels. This is my guess they get hot this allows for air flow while protecting barrels from debris when they are hot

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Shoot from the hip for the most part. There is a laser mounted on for rough sighting. However it is mainly done via grease pencil a-la Vietnam. There was some talk of trying to get rough mil numbers based on MTS FOV and range, etc. The dampening system is in no way tied to AFCS. If you read the justification for this system over the other options, nowhere was accuracy a deciding factor...

So have they fixed the issues with jamming, capacity/reloading, or the dummy round/HERO BS on the boat? I'm guessing not.

Flugelman

Contributor
Interesting.

What is the purpose of that grey cover with the Swiss cheese holes in it? Also is there any type of recoil damping integrated with your flight control/stab system? Or is this literally just a shoot from the hip/grease pencil weapon?

Looks like it is a way to mount a flash hider without overheating the barrels. I would think the flash from that thing could be a bit distracting to the pilot after dark.

iOrdie56379

Shoot from the hip for the most part. There is a laser mounted on for rough sighting. However it is mainly done via grease pencil a-la Vietnam. There was some talk of trying to get rough mil numbers based on MTS FOV and range, etc. The dampening system is in no way tied to AFCS. If you read the justification for this system over the other options, nowhere was accuracy a deciding factor...

So have they fixed the issues with jamming, capacity/reloading, or the dummy round/HERO BS on the boat? I'm guessing not.

I haven't heard of any jamming issues as of yet and feeding seems to be smooth, but i'll be ready to clear the jam when it happens.

hscs

pilot

Mehhh - doesn't matter because everyone spends their time thinking about getting shiny new toys to defeat some threat and no-one has given any thought to the ROE to employ said shiny toys...

iOrdie56379

Mehhh - doesn't matter because everyone spends their time thinking about getting shiny new toys to defeat some threat and no-one has given any thought to the ROE to employ said shiny toys...
Shiny it ain't but I'll trust it to put big rounds down range, and if it breaks i have good crew to fix it.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Don't know how to say this without sounding snarky, but it's a legitimate question.

What mission calls for designing, installing, training, and implementing a new fixed forward firing weapon system? And by that I mean a mission that isn't already met by the current array of mounted guns, hellfires, and torpedoes.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Don't know how to say this without sounding snarky, but it's a legitimate question.

What mission calls for designing, installing, training, and implementing a new fixed forward firing weapon system? And by that I mean a mission that isn't already met by the current array of mounted guns, hellfires, and torpedoes.

Small boat threat. I mean, unless you count making flashes with the tracers and some noise from the crew-served weapons. If you actually want to do real damage, then no we don't have a weapon for that mission yet.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
count making flashes with the tracers and some noise

Unless the Navy gets serious with this weapon and gives an appropriate amount of NCEA for training, that's all this thing is gonna be too. Shooting at a small, fast as shit moving boat, from a moving helo, is going to require a ton of practice and ammo.

phrogpilot73

If you actually want to do real damage, then no we don't have a weapon for that mission yet.
Umm, yeah. You do. Your aircraft has the HF, plus crew served weapons. The UH-1N/Y has 2.75" rockets and crew served weapons. And they're pretty damn good at shooting, to include moving targets. And the USCG saw a lot of success shooting moving boats with the introduction of the HITRON squadrons, using crew served weapons. Not having a weapon is not the problem.

...gives an appropriate amount of NCEA for training... Shooting at a small, fast as shit moving boat, from a moving helo, is going to require a ton of practice and ammo.
Therein lies the crux of the problem. Don't know what your NCEA looks like, but ours is enough that it's not unusual to have so many rounds for a shoot that not only do we get guys qualed/proficient, but that pilots have an opportunity to get behind the gun and see how hard it really is. And we're an assault support platform. The shooters get even more.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Umm, yeah. You do. Your aircraft has the HF, plus crew served weapons. The UH-1N/Y has 2.75" rockets and crew served weapons. And they're pretty damn good at shooting, to include moving targets. And the USCG saw a lot of success shooting moving boats with the introduction of the HITRON squadrons, using crew served weapons. Not having a weapon is not the problem.

I don't mean to argue your overall point, but as an FYI, the HITRON mission's (and Navy helos that do the same mission) ROE is night and day from what you would do against an actual small-boat threat. Part of it is actually kind of amusing if they decide to shoot back.

Therein lies the crux of the problem. Don't know what your NCEA looks like, but ours is enough that it's not unusual to have so many rounds for a shoot that not only do we get guys qualed/proficient, but that pilots have an opportunity to get behind the gun and see how hard it really is. And we're an assault support platform. The shooters get even more.

Yeah, not so much on the Active-Component side.