• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MH-60S with a M197 20mm cannon!

Flying Toaster

None
Saw these on another forum. Not sure what it's for, but it certainly looks interesting.

VX-20%252520MH-60S_167876%25252801%252529.jpg

VX-20%252520MH-60S_167876%25252802%252529.jpg

ot3Vna8MLhnJ49.jpg

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Not sure if this is an outgrowth of the fixed forward firing weapon or some other thing, but iirc the original plan was to mount the weapon (whichever one it was) directly to the airframe, not to the batwings. <shrug> Just one more thing to aim at small craft.

hscs

pilot
What is really interesting about this whole thing - another MH60 (which has operated onboard a ship) with a 30 mm already exists, and how many dollars are we wasting on R&D for this setup? Seems that it could be spent in a better place....like fixing the cockpit, but that is another thread in itself.....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Found this about the weapon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M197_Gatling_gun

I know the Navy was hesitant to allow the AD folks to use the GAU-17 because the price for the NCEA was too steep. I can only imagine how many rounds pilots are going to need to shoot to stay qual'd...

Exactly. Something I said just yesterday. FF guns are "cool," but you have to have the rounds to practice with...not to mention the targets to shoot with. The Navy is already seriously lacking in the latter and struggling with the former. A point (I assume) completely lost on the WTI in the room.

hscs

pilot
^^^That point was hidden in the 276 NSAWC mandated black slides located in the slide deck.....

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
What is really interesting about this whole thing - another MH60 (which has operated onboard a ship) with a 30 mm already exists, and how many dollars are we wasting on R&D for this setup? Seems that it could be spent in a better place....like fixing the cockpit, but that is another thread in itself.....

Which would come with a whole new line of supply... as opposed to being able to just take what Cobra/Hornet guys use...

hscs

pilot
Bushmaster II - 30mm to be used on the LPD-17s...same company makes the M230 used on the AH64 and the DAP.....and even if this wasn't true, I will venture to say that it is cheaper to use a DOD off the shelf system as opposed to rigorous testing to come up with a 'new' solution to the same problem.

I have read that the M197 jams - up to 30% of the time due to linked ammunition (from an internet search, I hope a Cobra type can verify the validity of that statistic).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Looks cool. I dunno what to think though... with the "energy security" logo on the fuselage and that BAMF gun, the message I get is

Don't mess with energy security.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
This is/was a hot issue within the community. NAVAIR decided that using the 197 would be "cheaper" and get the weapon into the fleet "quicker" which is why we have that instead of the M230, or a Bushmaster, etc. Lots of negative issues with this particular weapon system in the mission we are fielding it for, but those are topics of discussion for a different medium.
(My take is that the marines were happy to get rid of the extras they had sitting in the warehouse and as usual we took the leftovers.) Not sure when the push to fleet squadrons will happen, but this is currently in test phase supposed to hit the fleet in the next 2ish years.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Buncha whiners, you rotorheads.

If you don't want it, we'll gladly find a way to mount it on the warpig. Pirate hunting would be so much cooler with a 20mm.