• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Meps/Medical question

katiegirl

SNA wife
AllAmerican75 said:
I have heard that ADD is an immediate DQ, is that true? The reason I ask is I was misdiagnosed when I was very young, and they(my doctors) put me on a lot, I mean A LOT, of meds for it. I haven't been on them since like 4th grade, and I noticed no difference when I was on the meds to when I wasn't on them. In the 8 or so years since I have been off the meds, I have had no problems with concentration or hyperactivity or any of the other myriad of symptoms. I am worried that my history of being on medication will DQ me. Should I just explain the situation to the docs and let them make the call?

You are DQ'd if you've taken medication for ADD/ADHD after the age of 12, beyond that it is the general consensus that if you've made it through high school and/or college with reasonable grades, you're coping just fine. Be upfront about it and they'll probably retest you for symptoms, find nothing, and move on.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
hourocket said:
Maybe you didnt read my post very well, I reported evertyhing, the NAVY DoD Doctor said "next time, say NO"

I did read your post very well. You do not need to lecture me about my reading ability.

...Remember, you are the one who..."went through sooooo much crap". That was the direction of my comments.

Here is what you said:
"Im not saying to lie, and of course those recruiters never tell a lie, but you really need to think about the questions before you answer them. When I went through MEPS I answered the question about asthma because when I was little I had exertional asthma, but it went away, but I answered the questin as Yes, bad idea. I had to go through sooooo much crap, interviews, testing showing that I didnt have asthma any more. In the end the Doc said next time say no. Im not saying to lie, but you should know your body."

Additionally, you should try to understand the ramifications of asthma and the subsequent relationship with altitude issues.

My point was that it cost you nothing except time to find out, for sure, that your asthma is no longer an issue. THAT, my fine young SNFO, is worth the 'crap' you went through....both to you and to USN.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
I have heard that ADD is an immediate DQ, is that true? The reason I ask is I was misdiagnosed when I was very young, and they(my doctors) put me on a lot, I mean A LOT, of meds for it. I haven't been on them since like 4th grade, and I noticed no difference when I was on the meds to when I wasn't on them. In the 8 or so years since I have been off the meds, I have had no problems with concentration or hyperactivity or any of the other myriad of symptoms. I am worried that my history of being on medication will DQ me. Should I just explain the situation to the docs and let them make the call?

When in doubt, search out the waiver guide.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/psychiatry.htm#Learn_Disorder_ADD_Hyper

I see nothing there which indicates that if you have taken meds for ADD/ADHD after the age of 12 that you are DQ'd.

However, I did see this: Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: A diagnosis of ADD/ADHD meeting DSM criteria is considered disqualifying. Applicants or designated aircrew with ADD/ADHD who have not taken medication for 12 months and are symptom free may be considered for waiver. If a flight surgeon reviewing all available medical records determines that the diagnosis of ADHD was erroneous or does not meet DSM criteria, the flight surgeon's interview reveals no persistent ADHD features, there has been no medication use for at least 12 months, and there is evidence of satisfactory academic performance, the record may be referred to NAMI Psychiatry for consultation to recommend a waiver or to find the candidate physically qualified.

Since you are so long off the meds and with, hopefully, no recurrent symptoms, I think you will be in the clear. If you wish, PM me with some specifics...no name needed...and I will ask the folks who work in that office.
Need to know the drugs, amounts and duration.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And correct me if I'm wrong here, feddoc, but he can (morally and legally) say he never had ADD anyway, right? Since it was a misdiagnosis?

hourocket

Bullseye
None
feddoc said:
My point was that it cost you nothing except time to find out, for sure, that your asthma is no longer an issue. THAT, my fine young SNA, is worth the 'crap' you went through....both to you and to USN.

Once again, the Doctor, approved by the US NAVY, said next time to say NO. I answered the questions.

And 8+ years in the Navy is not young...not going to argue any more, all I was trying to say was what the Navy doctor told me, thats it

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
gatordev said:
And correct me if I'm wrong here, feddoc, but he can (morally and legally) say he never had ADD anyway, right? Since it was a misdiagnosis?

If it is indicated in his record that he was misdiagnosed...morally...IMHO ...it would be ok to not mention ADD since it did not happen in the first place.

Legally...it would seem ok here too...got any JAG folks visiting?

However, it (the initial mis-diagnosis) may be a part of his medical record and may follow him to his first physical.

The key would be....is it documented that it was mis-diagnosed?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I'm not sure since I have never had access to my medical records. I will say that I was diagnosed because I was having problems in school. The doctor asked me why, and my answer was "I dunno," the typical five-year-old's answer. My parents said I had trouble concentrating in class and my psychiatrist immediately took that to mean I had ADD. Looking back, I was just an energetic five-year-old who would rather play tag outside with my friends than learn how to spell "cat". Also, the medication did absolutely nothing. My meds would change every couple of weeks and the dosage would be increased. I can't remember what I was taking, but I remember that at one point I was taking the maximum ADULT dosage, and still it did nothing except seriously mess me up, what with the side effects and all.