• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Meps/Medical question

mike172

GO NAVY
Not sure where to put this, but here it goes. My friend and i were having a disagreement about what things you are supposed to tell, and what things not to tell. I was of the opinion that things like, "have you ever had a headache" and "Have you ever broken a bone" should be answered as no. He thought that you should answer everthing absolutly truthfully. I'm not saying its good to lie, but why make it more difficult for yourself. Am i wrong here? Should you be entirely honest?

CMK

My recruiter always told me to say 'no' to EVERYTHING. If it isn't that serious, why give them reason to doubt? Everybody gets headaches, and a healed broken bone won't prevent you from serving.
Some things you can't hide, though, like asthma.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You have to use your head. They aren't going to disqualify you for having had a broken bone (living proof). They also aren't going to DQ you for having headaches when you're sick, but I gurantee you that's not how the question reads. You can figure out what they mean, so answer honestly.

For example, every 6 months, active duty guys have to take a PRT screening. Among the many questions there is "Do you get a shortness of breath when you exercise?" Well, of course you do, that's the point, but they mean out of the ordinary. Basically read between the lines on those type of questions, but for the more straightforward ones like broken bones, asthma, etc, answer honestly.

Edit: Someone said what many were probably thinking...

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Here are a few reasons to answer truthfully.

1. Telling the truth.....it is the right thing to do...most generic questions are just that and...not designed to trick anyone into anything. However, gatordev is correct in his post....As an example, they (we) aren't looking for the the headache you have because you are dehydrated...rather the headache you have with the blurred vision and nausea.

2. IF your health concerns come up at a later time and the question as to whether or not that particular health matter is to be considered service connected; better to tell the truth now than to try and convince a med board later.

3. Unless you are a medically trained person, neither you nor your recruiter can determine if there is a much more serious underlying problem which relates to your headache.

4. A couple of minutes of your time now answering what appear to be stupid questions may save you loads of time later.

hourocket

Bullseye
None
Im not saying to lie, and of course those recruiters never tell a lie, but you really need to think about the questions before you answer them. When I went through MEPS I answered the question about asthma because when I was little I had exertional asthma, but it went away, but I answered the questin as Yes, bad idea. I had to go through sooooo much crap, interviews, testing showing that I didnt have asthma any more. In the end the Doc said next time say no. Im not saying to lie, but you should know your body.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
hourocket said:
Im not saying to lie, and of course those recruiters never tell a lie, but you really need to think about the questions before you answer them. When I went through MEPS I answered the question about asthma because when I was little I had exertional asthma, but it went away, but I answered the questin as Yes, bad idea. I had to go through sooooo much crap, interviews, testing showing that I didnt have asthma any more. In the end the Doc said next time say no. Im not saying to lie, but you should know your body.

AH, so let me see if I get this right....you now know for sure you don't have asthma (anymore). So does DoD. And all it cost you was some time?

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/respiratory.htm

From the waiver guide: "WAIVER: A history of asthma is CD for military service and for aviation training, even if very mild. Waivers for aviation applicants can be recommended if: 1) Asymptomatic for a minimum of five years, 2) Primary physician or specialty consultant document an otherwise normal history and physical examination, 3) Normal baseline PFT's with post bronchodilator (<15% change in FEV1) and Methacholine/Provocative testing being negative."

AND DoD is very happy that you didn't waste their time and you didn't get in trouble by hiding the known condition. I would say you made out well.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I definately wouldnt lie about stuff, but I dont think thats its necessary to report every little cold you've had. Now if you have a cold every 2 weeks then maybe theres something wrong that you should report. After I did all the tests at MEPS and went in one-on-one to talk to the doctor, he was looking at my paperwork and asking me questions about a broken bone and stuff like that. He was telling me that some of the stuff that I put on there wasnt necessary. Example of that - They want you to list out any scars or defects or something like that (don't really remember the wording anymore) so I put down that I have this scar on my one hand. Its only like 0.5 inches on the inside of my one finger but I figured I'd list it anyhow. He said that it didnt matter. THey were looking more for bigger stuff.

It appears as though your original question was along the lines of having to report about every time that you got sick, puked, took a dump, etc. and not about should you mention something that may or may not get you disqualified. Just report anything that got broken, sprained, etc. or any time that you were hospitalized, if you had mono...stuff like that. Hope that helpeda bit :)

mike172

GO NAVY
Ok thanks. I have a massive birthmark on my right stomach, like its kinda looks like Africa. I just thought id let everyone know that. Is this the kinda thing u need to report. Also i broke my leg when i was like 7 or something and my arm when i was like 14, are they gonna be like. " so many broken bones = DQ?"

KBayDog

mike172 said:
I have a massive birthmark on my right stomach, like its kinda looks like Africa. I just thought id let everyone know that. Is this the kinda thing u need to report.

Oh, they'll see it. Most continents are not a problem. Europe and Asia could get you in trouble - if it was in the shape of Iran or France, you'd have cause for concern.

Also i broke my leg when i was like 7 or something and my arm when i was like 14, are they gonna be like. " so many broken bones = DQ?"

Unless your last name is Knievel, you shouldn't lose sleep over it.

RELAX!

Just answer the form honestly, and you'll have nothing to worry about. As others have said, think about what they are asking you. "Have you ever had a headache/shortness of breath/problems sleeping/etc." Of course you have! They don't give a rat's ass if you had a headache after going to a Who concert, or winded yourself doing sprints, or you were kept up all night by your baby brother crying. They're looking for medical problems.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Recent MEPS survivor here. Yes, they ask you about everything and anything you ever did. You have to declare that you got chickenpox when you were 4. You have to declare that you fell off your bike and broke your arm when you were 7, and that you spent 6 weeks in a cast before you started playing football. The doc will look over your form, and ask you about everything as he gets to it. Everyone breaks bones, gets headaches, gets short of breath. They want to weed out people with massive breaks that still present physical problems, siezures, and missing lungs, etc.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I have heard that ADD is an immediate DQ, is that true? The reason I ask is I was misdiagnosed when I was very young, and they(my doctors) put me on a lot, I mean A LOT, of meds for it. I haven't been on them since like 4th grade, and I noticed no difference when I was on the meds to when I wasn't on them. In the 8 or so years since I have been off the meds, I have had no problems with concentration or hyperactivity or any of the other myriad of symptoms. I am worried that my history of being on medication will DQ me. Should I just explain the situation to the docs and let them make the call?

ItsTurboTime

They want to know about all this stuff and admitting these things might add a few more minutes onto your doctor interview but unless the injury is still causing your problems you're probably fine.

hourocket

Bullseye
None
feddoc said:
AH, so let me see if I get this right....you now know for sure you don't have asthma (anymore). So does DoD. And all it cost you was some time?

AND DoD is very happy that you didn't waste their time and you didn't get in trouble by hiding the known condition. I would say you made out well.

Maybe you didnt read my post very well, I reported evertyhing, the NAVY DoD Doctor said "next time, say NO"