• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical disqualification?

pvalli1

Someone replied to you on Reddit about this. They said that they were able to get a waiver to serve in the staff corps. If it is your priority to serve, even if it is not in an aviation designator, perhaps you could look into that.
I know... but that’s not really what I’m looking in doing...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I want to apply to OCS either in the Navy or Marines to be a pilot. Are these medical disqualifiers?

I just don’t see why if it’s a “case by case” basis for everything else that I can’t do anything else

Man, you asked a question and got an answer, from people who are in a position to know. If you’re determined to apply anyway, then by all means do. But you asked; arguing with people who aren’t giving you the answer you wanted is kind of pointless.

pvalli1

Man, you asked a question and got an answer, from people who are in a position to know. If you’re determined to apply anyway, then by all means do. But you asked; arguing with people who aren’t giving you the answer you wanted is kind of pointless.
Not arguing with them, just confused by the wording of the text itself if that what it means

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not arguing with them, just confused by the wording of the text itself if that what it means

It boils down to dollars. Right now the Navy has nothing invested in you. You also aren't on Active Duty, which also normally incurs a responsibility by the government to care for you. So if you have something Naval Medicine doesn't like, they can tell you no right off the bat and not lose anything. Once you're on AD, and even more so, once you've started flight school, the military has started to invest money in you, so it's in the military's best interest to work within the system and grant waivers.

You are arguing. And trust me, I've been in the same position and got the same answer (albeit for a different diagnosed..but BS...condition). At the end of the day, an applicant =/= someone already accepted and in the program (or already winged).

Edited: holy typos.

pvalli1

It boils down to dollars. Right now the Navy has nothing invested in you. You also aren't on Active Duty, which also normally incurs a responsibility by the government to care for you. So if you have something Naval Medicine doesn't like, they can tell you no right off the bat and not lose anything. Once you're on AD, and even more so, once you've started flight school, the military has started to invest money in you, so it's in the military's best interest to work within the system and grant waivers.

You are arguing. And trust me, I've been in the same position and got the same answer (albeit for a different diagnosed..but BS...condition). At the end of the day, an applicant =/= someone already accepted and in the program (or already winged).

Edited: holy typos.
I didn't understand that it meant for people already commissioned. I thought the other abbreviations were for other positions for applicants, while people were telling me I probably couldn't apply for any other position.

Luckily I can still try the Army and Air Force for aviation spots even with the thyroid disorder, so my dream isn't completely crushed.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It means you have two chances: Zero and None

maxresdefault.jpg

poprocks17

Hi everybody,

I have a question about medical that I’m not sure how to find the answer. I submitted a package to the upcoming SWO board. I passed MEPS and am medically qualified, but recently have been having trouble with my wrist during push ups. I went to the doctor to check why I’m experiencing a pinching sensation, and he said I have a ganglion cyst.

He tried aspirating it with no success. He suggested a quick outpatient surgery to clip it. Since I already submitted my package, what would my next steps be? I really don’t want to push my potential selection, but understand if I would need to in order to resolve the issue.

Additionally, I have read on here that some applicants leave out medical conditions until after commissioning OCS. Would it be frowned upon to ignore it until after/get the surgery wothout informing my recruiter?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

browntown

Hi everybody,

I have a question about medical that I’m not sure how to find the answer. I submitted a package to the upcoming SWO board. I passed MEPS and am medically qualified, but recently have been having trouble with my wrist during push ups. I went to the doctor to check why I’m experiencing a pinching sensation, and he said I have a ganglion cyst.

He tried aspirating it with no success. He suggested a quick outpatient surgery to clip it. Since I already submitted my package, what would my next steps be? I really don’t want to push my potential selection, but understand if I would need to in order to resolve the issue.

Additionally, I have read on here that some applicants leave out medical conditions until after commissioning OCS. Would it be frowned upon to ignore it until after/get the surgery wothout informing my recruiter?

I'm not an expert, but since you now have a documented medical condition (even if it's minor), I'm pretty sure not disclosing it could be grounds for fraudulent enlistment. It's probably not going to affect your PQ eligibility if it's something that's not screened for on the DD2807-2 form (I can't recall if cysts are mentioned), but I'd play it safe and tell your recruiter. I believe you'll have to fill out a Change of Status Questionnaire and submit the associated medical records, but you probably won't have to go back to MEPS to be PQ again. You probably can get the surgery too but you need to disclose it and send those medical records. Fraudulent enlistment is a potentially huge issue so tread carefully.

poprocks17

I'm not an expert, but since you now have a documented medical condition (even if it's minor), I'm pretty sure not disclosing it could be grounds for fraudulent enlistment. It's probably not going to affect your PQ eligibility if it's something that's not screened for on the DD2807-2 form (I can't recall if cysts are mentioned), but I'd play it safe and tell your recruiter. I believe you'll have to fill out a Change of Status Questionnaire and submit the associated medical records, but you probably won't have to go back to MEPS to be PQ again. You probably can get the surgery too but you need to disclose it and send those medical records. Fraudulent enlistment is a potentially huge issue so tread carefully.

@browntown
Fraudulent enlistment is a great point, thank you. I know you’re not an expert/recruiter, but are you aware if your suggestion of reporting it and getting the surgery would postpone my board submission? The results aren’t until February, so I feel like I could get it done and heal up before then.

browntown

@browntown
Fraudulent enlistment is a great point, thank you. I know you’re not an expert/recruiter, but are you aware if your suggestion of reporting it and getting the surgery would postpone my board submission? The results aren’t until February, so I feel like I could get it done and heal up before then.

I'd imagine so since it will probably automatically make you temporarily NPQ until your medical status is re-reviewed by N3M. I don't think they typically take very long to process things like that though (unless you have a really wacky medical history). You'll probably need to be considered PQ before the application deadline though, not the date the board convenes. I also imagine they might not PQ you until you have follow-up records from the surgery that indicate there were no complications, so that could delay things a bit. Still, I'd play it safe even if you might miss a board.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi everybody,

Yes, mention it and you can find more about the cyst in the MANMED CH 15.