• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical disqualification?

pvalli1

I really can't find a solid answer online, so I figured I'd ask here.

I have hypothyroidism. It is controlled. I have had normal levels for quite some time. The last test I had came back as normal.

I also was prescribed for Vyvance. However, I haven't taken it in a year, and I honestly never had ADHD, I just wanted the Vyvance to study.

I want to apply to OCS either in the Navy or Marines to be a pilot. Are these medical disqualifiers?

usmcecho4

pilot
Yes. Also, don't do drugs.

s/f,
usmcecho4

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a562455.pdf

"

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: The insidious onset of many signs and symptoms of

hypothyroidism reduces the aviator's ability to recognize abnormalities. It can foster

complacency or an unwillingness to seek medical advice until performance is significantly

degraded. Fatigue, lethargy, muscle weakness, decreased cognitive function, motor weakness,

delayed reflexes, bradycardia, first degree heart block, cardiomegaly, pericardial effusion,

depression, sensorineural hearing loss and anemia are all complications relevant to aviation. The

flight surgeon must know and observe their aviators for the subtle onset of any of these signs and

symptoms.

WAIVER: A history of hypothyroidism is CD for all DIF. Applicants for SNA and SNFO are

CD, no waiver recommended. All other categories of applicants will be considered on a case-bycase

basis. A waiver for designated personnel may be recommended for uncomplicated

hypothyroidism when the patient is clinically and chemically euthyroid on a stable dose of

replacement levothyroxine (at least 6 weeks), with the TSH stable and in normal range.

INFORMATION REQUIRED:

1. Endocrine or Internal Medicine/Family Practice consultation

2. Serum TSH, T4 and/or free T4 values indicating euthyroidism

3. Annual evaluation of member's thyroid status with thyroid function studies (TSH at a

minimum)

4. Any deviation from euthyroid status shall be submitted to NAMI Code 42

TREATMENT: Synthroid (levothyroxine) use is waiverable in designated personnel.

DISCUSSION: The most common cause of primary hypothyroidism is chronic autoimmune

thyroiditis (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). Other causes include radioactive iodine thyroid gland

ablation, surgical removal of the thyroid gland, and external irradiation. Full dose replacement

with levothyroxine can be instituted immediately in most patients, the exceptions being geriatric

or cardiac patients. The ratio of female to male patients is approximately 5:1.

ICD-9 CODES:

244.8 Acquired hypothyroidism (iatrogenic)

245.0 Acute thyroiditis

245.1 Subacute thyroiditis

245.2 Hashimoto's thyroiditis

245.9 Thyroiditis, unspecified

"

pvalli1

Yes. Also, don't do drugs.

s/f,
usmcecho4

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a562455.pdf

"

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: The insidious onset of many signs and symptoms of

hypothyroidism reduces the aviator's ability to recognize abnormalities. It can foster

complacency or an unwillingness to seek medical advice until performance is significantly

degraded. Fatigue, lethargy, muscle weakness, decreased cognitive function, motor weakness,

delayed reflexes, bradycardia, first degree heart block, cardiomegaly, pericardial effusion,

depression, sensorineural hearing loss and anemia are all complications relevant to aviation. The

flight surgeon must know and observe their aviators for the subtle onset of any of these signs and

symptoms.

WAIVER: A history of hypothyroidism is CD for all DIF. Applicants for SNA and SNFO are

CD, no waiver recommended. All other categories of applicants will be considered on a case-bycase

hypothyroidism when the patient is clinically and chemically euthyroid on a stable dose of

replacement levothyroxine (at least 6 weeks), with the TSH stable and in normal range.

INFORMATION REQUIRED:

1. Endocrine or Internal Medicine/Family Practice consultation

2. Serum TSH, T4 and/or free T4 values indicating euthyroidism

3. Annual evaluation of member's thyroid status with thyroid function studies (TSH at a

minimum)

4. Any deviation from euthyroid status shall be submitted to NAMI Code 42

TREATMENT: Synthroid (levothyroxine) use is waiverable in designated personnel.

DISCUSSION: The most common cause of primary hypothyroidism is chronic autoimmune

thyroiditis (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). Other causes include radioactive iodine thyroid gland

ablation, surgical removal of the thyroid gland, and external irradiation. Full dose replacement

with levothyroxine can be instituted immediately in most patients, the exceptions being geriatric

or cardiac patients. The ratio of female to male patients is approximately 5:1.

ICD-9 CODES:

244.8 Acquired hypothyroidism (iatrogenic)

245.0 Acute thyroiditis

245.1 Subacute thyroiditis

245.2 Hashimoto's thyroiditis

245.9 Thyroiditis, unspecified

"
So... no waivers? Even if my levels are under control and have been?

usmcecho4

pilot
"WAIVER: A history of hypothyroidism is CD for all DIF. Applicants for SNA and SNFO are

replacement levothyroxine (at least 6 weeks), with the TSH stable and in normal range."

CD=considered disqualifying

s/f,
usmcecho4

pvalli1

"WAIVER: A history of hypothyroidism is CD for all DIF. Applicants for SNA and SNFO are

replacement levothyroxine (at least 6 weeks), with the TSH stable and in normal range."

CD=considered disqualifying

s/f,
usmcecho4
This makes absolutely no sense. It’s saying I can’t and a waiver isn’t recommended but a waiver can occur on a case by case basis?

I’ve read multiple people saying that a controlled thyroid isn’t CD, and others saying it was.

menloe

All other categories of applicants will be considered on a case-bycase

basis.
When it says all OTHER categories of applicants, I believe it means applicants to jobs other than SNA/SNFO. Basically, you can still join the Navy, but you can't fly.

pvalli1

I
When it says all OTHER categories of applicants, I believe it means applicants to jobs other than SNA/SNFO. Basically, you can still join the Navy, but you can't fly.
is there anyway to get a waiver on this? It’s controlled hypothyroidism and it doesn’t show any symptoms as long as I take my medicine.

It also says no waiver recommended. Does that mean absolutely no waivers or it’s unlikely?

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there anyway to get a waiver on this? It’s controlled hypothyroidism and it doesn’t show any symptoms as long as I take my medicine.

Unfortunately no, it says explicitly no waiver is recommended and thus would likely not even be considered.

menloe

is there anyway to get a waiver on this? It’s controlled hypothyroidism and it doesn’t show any symptoms as long as I take my medicine.
I hate to say an absolute no, but I would talk to your OR and see what he/she says. The only good sign here is that the waiver guide states that a waiver is not RECOMMENDED; it does not specifically state that a waiver is impossible or automatically denied. Since it says "not recommended" that tells me that you can still apply for one, but it is very unlikely that it will get approved.
*Note: I have no personal experience with this exact issue; however, I have a bit of experience with 'exploiting' the verbiage and determining what the regulations are actually saying (especially when it comes to my nemesis: depth perception...)

Hayley D.

I

It also says no waiver recommended. Does that mean absolutely no waivers or it’s unlikely?
A lot of medical DQs exist for that exact situation... if you for some reason can't access your medicine. It sucks but I feel like a lot of the symptoms that could come up if you didn't have your meds could really hurt your mission/crew/etc. (panic attacks, fainting, fatigue)

pvalli1

A lot of medical DQs exist for that exact situation... if you for some reason can't access your medicine. It sucks but I feel like a lot of the symptoms that could come up if you didn't have your meds could really hurt your mission/crew/etc. (panic attacks, fainting, fatigue)
Fuck. There goes what I’ve wanted to do my entire life

pvalli1

I hate to say an absolute no, but I would talk to your OR and see what he/she says. The only good sign here is that the waiver guide states that a waiver is not RECOMMENDED; it does not specifically state that a waiver is impossible or automatically denied. Since it says "not recommended" that tells me that you can still apply for one, but it is very unlikely that it will get approved.
*Note: I have no personal experience with this exact issue; however, I have a bit of experience with 'exploiting' the verbiage and determining what the regulations are actually saying (especially when it comes to my nemesis: depth perception...)
what about the Marines? Do they use the same standards?

usmcecho4

pilot
what about the Marines? Do they use the same standards?

Generally the Marines play by Navy rules when it comes to medicine. But if the pilot shortage is to be believed things can be waived. Only way to know is to try.

s/f,
usmcecho4