• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medal of Honor criteria and award inflation

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In fact, (I'm not going to, but) you could argue that medics and corpsman rate lower awards, because the mental toll of taking life, as opposed to saving it, is higher on a person.

Awards are not based on the "mental toll" the situation incurs on someone, it is action(s) above and beyond the call of duty and level of hazard the actions place someone in during the act(s).

lmnop

In fact, (I'm not going to, but) you could argue that medics and corpsman rate lower awards,the mental toll of taking life, as opposed to saving it, is higher on a person.

Maybe I'm fucked up, but it seems to me that the sometimes futile struggle to save the life of a teammate is far more troubling than worrying about whether some shithead got his 72 virgins. Like Hacker said, if you don't mind, could you share some of your experiences that brought you to this conclusion.

Lawman

None
I'm just curious as to what your experience with either of these -- life saving versus life taking -- is?

Next we'll all be trying to draw the difinative difference between taking a life with a rifle or with a GBU-31 and which is "harder."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Next we'll all be trying to draw the difinative difference between taking a life with a rifle or with a GBU-31 and which is "harder."

Or which results in more mental anguish

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

Well, that wasn't really my point at all, although there is probably a valid discussion to be had there as well.

I find that people who have never actually been involved in killing another person are still able to make some interesting -- and usually inaccurate -- statements about it. So, I was just wondering.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

pourts

pilot
I would agree that 1 and 2 are similar; I would not call either of them "instinctual."

Yeah, thats my point. They are pretty similar. One is not more or less deliberate or instinctual than the other, until things get back to the battalion surgeon.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Shouldnt the award be compared to the person's job duties? For example, If you pull someone out of a burning building you'll be Mr Hometown Hero. Firemen do it every day for low pay. They probably have to look at someone going above and beyond what they were supposed to do.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Yeah, thats my point. They are pretty similar. One is not more or less deliberate or instinctual than the other, until things get back to the battalion surgeon.

The "instinctual" actions would be of the "jumping on a grenade" type, not the type you described.

pourts

pilot
The "instinctual" actions would be of the "jumping on a grenade" type, not the type you described.

Ok, I am picking up what you are putting down now. You were comparing the specific actions, not the general nature of the two MOS's.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The "instinctual" actions would be of the "jumping on a grenade" type

Disagree. Instincts have been evolved for self-preservation purposes. Jumping on a grenade runs counter to that.

The instinctual response to a grenade would be to run for cover.

Jumping on one is as instinctual as diving in front of a bullet or running in front of a speeding car.

Our brethren who jumped on the grenades did so 100% counter to their first gut reaction. You know: the one that could have saved their lives.

That's why they're heroes.

It's not nearly as salacious as any of the Audie Murphy MoH stuff, but it was no less selfless and no easier a decision to make.

Let's not demean it by calling it an "instinctual response".

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Disagree. Instincts have been evolved for self-preservation purposes. Jumping on a grenade runs counter to that.
So my dog's instincts to chase cats are for self preservation? I think you are a little bit off on your interpretation of "self-preservation".

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
So my dog's instincts to chase cats are for self preservation? I think you are a little bit off on your interpretation of "self-preservation".

Actually, the instinct to chase cats is probably the remnants of the hunting instinct that its wolf ancestors had. Hunting=food=self preservation.

I don't think he meant ALL instincts are for self-preservation, just that it is an instinct to try to preserve one's life. It takes a lot of will, what we call courage, to overcome that instinct by either self-sacrifice or by exposing oneself to extreme risks.

H60Gunner

Contributor
I am going to say no to that one. Both train to the extent that how they deal with a situation is "instinctual." Bravery is bravery. I don't think that, for instance:

1) taking cover, orienting on the enemy, considering whether so set up a base of fire and assault through or go firm, and then executing

is more or less deliberate than...

2) running up to a casualty, cutting away a trouser leg, and deciding to use quick clot or a battle dressing or an occlusive dressing and executing

In fact, (I'm not going to, but) you could argue that medics and corpsman rate lower awards, because the mental toll of taking life, as opposed to saving it, is higher on a person.

The action of saving lives under duress of combat, and against the self preservation instinct, could and has been worthy of the MOH.

I had the opportunity to meet Dave "Mad Dog" Dolby last year. Vietnam War era MOH recipient. He was awarded the MOH for doing what he said simply "had to be done". He is a very humble and down to earth kind of dude. In his situation he just did what he thought needed to be done. Pretty cool story, 'specially hearing it from him.