• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medal of Honor criteria and award inflation

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Actually, the instinct to chase cats is probably the remnants of the hunting instinct that its wolf ancestors had. Hunting=food=self preservation.
Wolves must have also chased cars back in the stone age:D Not only does AW serve as a meeting place for aviators but it brings out the amateur biologist in us all.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Disagree. Instincts have been evolved for self-preservation purposes. Jumping on a grenade runs counter to that.

Let's not demean it by calling it an "instinctual response".

The "instinct for self-preservation" is often overridden by other instincts, such as the instint to protect one's loved ones/offspring. You see that in nature very frequently. This discussion is about people who have been "raised" with the attitude of living with under harsh conditions/fighting with/being willing to sacrifice their lives for their brothers-in-arms. In the grenade scenario, there is no time to comtemplate what to do, just time to act. So when the action taken is to fall on the grenade, I would call that instinctual. Doesn't mean it's not worthy of the highest awards.

Clux4

Banned
What I really think is happening is that the man to my left or right has become a loved one and so the instict to protect my biological brother extends to my brothers-in-arms. Otherwise, I do not think my military training has prepared me to overide the self-preservation instinct.
Offcourse there are cases were self-preservation was not overridden. It happened in NAM and more recently in Iraq.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Otherwise, I do not think my military training has prepared me to overide the self-preservation instinct.

Definitely agree on this one.

All I've found is that military training can help people cope with the fear/stress of the life/death situations posed by combat, and allow them to continue doing their jobs instead of curling up in a ball on the floor.

When we're talking about people who are performing acts of valor, they're generally doing it for those previosly-stated reasons of protecting self, bros, and friendlies. I've never heard of anyone awarded a medal for valor who said they "did it for a medal". Usually they say they were "just doing their job" or "doing for thier buddies".