• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mechanic sucked into jet engine

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
One of the problems we always had was with the guys taking a snooze in the intake. I think they thought if they couldn't see US --- we couldn't see THEM .

Or maybe they were just a smoke break .... ??? :)

How about the old "coitus in the Tomcat intake" trick? There's a qual I don't have. ;)

Brett

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Amazingly I just landed from my XC in ELP right when this happened. We were taxiing to the ramp and the 737 was surrounded by emergency trucks. I was wondering what had happened when we went inside and saw it on the news. Pretty wierd.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
How about the old "coitus in the Tomcat intake" trick? There's a qual I don't have. ;)

Just be careful to watch out for the inlet ice detection probe...

beaverslayer

pilot
Resurrecting another zombie thread, but someone sent me this video today and I decided to check if it had been posted before... it's the A-6 accident being discussed. I can't believe the guy survived this.

EDIT: My computer wouldn't download the links above for some reason, so hopefully one of them isn't this video already. My bad if it is.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Resurrecting another zombie thread, but someone sent me this video today and I decided to check if it had been posted before... it's the A-6 accident being discussed. I can't believe the guy survived this.

EDIT: My computer wouldn't download the links above for some reason, so hopefully one of them isn't this video already. My bad if it is.

Not only is this a repost, but it's a repost within this very thread. Nice work. ;)

Brett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
My question is how can this be news to anyone in Naval Aviation? This happened ages ago. The guy's cranial came off and ended up FODing the engine (as evidenced by the trail of sparks and flames emanating from the tailpipe) and it shut down. He obviously didn't go though the engine and was spared, by the grace of God.

Brett

Jeeze Brett. Make me feel old will ya! :D Was sitting in ready one watching the PLAT flight deck camera when it happened on TR. Kid was n TR TV the next day with a couple of very black eyes and a little deaf.

blackbart22

pilot
When I was a shooter, one of my guys got sucked into an A-6 and survived. He made it because he'd cut the chin strap off his helmet. It had been chaffing him and the air boss yelled at anyone with a dangleing strap, so he cut it off. He was the topside PO and as he cleared the A-6 (at full throttle), it picked him up. As he went into the intake, his helmet came off, hit the compressor blades, and the resulting compressor stall blew him back out. He was wearing a dungaree shirt, a flight deck jersey ,and a foul weather jacket. When he was blown out his right arm was bare. The forces inside the intake had ripped the sleeves of all three shirts off. His only injury was a minor burn on his exposed right sholder. He sat out one launch and wqs back on deck for the following one. On my next cruise, the guy that was sucked into an A-7 wasn't so lucky.

beaverslayer

pilot
Not only is this a repost, but it's a repost within this very thread. Nice work. ;)

Brett

Wow I feel retarded. That's what I was worried about when I couldn't open those links, but whatever. That video just amazed me and I felt like I should share.

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Reminds me of a yellow shirt that almost ran thru the prop arc of a Hummer :eek: during Desert Storm, on the Ranger they parked our Hummers behind the island next to the crash shack and on one particular launch we were turning and burnin' ready to come out when a yellow shirt came running out from behind the shack next to the stbd engine and was making a B-line for the prop arc when a troubleshooter literally tackled the guy down and saved his Ass, needless to say he got the biggest ass chewing i've ever seen from our flight deck Chief :icon_smil

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Re: Guy getting sucked into A-6 engine.
How on earth could that guy make it through the engine and live? Or did he not make it all the way through and was pulled out from inside?

Come on now, is that a serious question?

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Re: Guy getting sucked into A-6 engine.
How on earth could that guy make it through the engine and live? Or did he not make it all the way through and was pulled out from inside?

My question is how can this be news to anyone in Naval Aviation? This happened ages ago. The guy's cranial came off and ended up FODing the engine (as evidenced by the trail of sparks and flames emanating from the tailpipe) and it shut down. He obviously didn't go though the engine and was spared, by the grace of God.

Brett

Brett...I think you bit and PropStop just set the hook...

Come on now, is that a serious question?

Looks like PropStop's got two on the line!