• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mechanic sucked into jet engine

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Eww... prayers are with the family.

I've seen video of something similar on a carrier...

For those that have been around for a while... how often does something like this happen/likelyhood of actually happening.

I've not heard of it alot. Seems like something that can be avoided by paing attention to where you are in relation to the intake. Thoughts?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I certainly don't know the particulars of this incident, but in general with proper SA & a reasonable safety awareness program we have managed to make this a rare incident. I've never heard of it happening in Civil aviation and I have only heard of it happening a few times in the Navy. There is the famous A-6 video & I know of 1 guy getting sucked into a Viking engine. I'm sure it's happened other times, but the Navy has a pretty good flight deck awareness to prevent this kind of thing.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
There is the famous A-6 video
Somebody told me that the guy who lived through the process later had an interview about the incident, and said that he named his kid, "Blade" for the turbines he blew through... and for the movie.

Truth?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
eddie said:
Somebody told me that the guy who lived through the process later had an interview about the incident, and said that he named his kid, "Blade" for the turbines he blew through... and for the movie.

Truth?

If it's the video I'm thinking about he did live; saw it on a program on the military channel I believe. Not sure about his kid, never heard that one, but I know he ended up instructing safety courses for carrier deck operations and that his video is/was used according to him.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flight deck accidents come in a variety of flavors and levels of severity. People get run over by aircraft being towed or taxied, people have driven SE gear into parked jets resulting in fatal injuries, people have walked into turning prop and rotor arcs, and been sucked down turning intakes. As already stated, safety programs go a long way in raising awareness of the hazards and decreasing accident rates, but it remains a potentially dangerous working environment that is not forgiving to the inattentive.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry to hear about the mechanic. A terrible thing to have happen.

This is rare in naval aviation. More common are things such as Brett mentioned include getting blown across the flight deck, walking into turning props, and getting run over by a taxiing aircraft.

Although each of the above mentioned mishaps is typically preceeded by a chain of events that in retrospect could have been broken...ie, bad WX...16 hour day...improper training, etc...

Be careful out there...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Re: Guy getting sucked into A-6 engine.
How on earth could that guy make it through the engine and live? Or did he not make it all the way through and was pulled out from inside?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
Re: Guy getting sucked into A-6 engine.
How on earth could that guy make it through the engine and live? Or did he not make it all the way through and was pulled out from inside?
My question is how can this be news to anyone in Naval Aviation? This happened ages ago. The guy's cranial came off and ended up FODing the engine (as evidenced by the trail of sparks and flames emanating from the tailpipe) and it shut down. He obviously didn't go though the engine and was spared, by the grace of God.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett...I think you bit and PropStop just set the hook...