• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MECEP FAQs

guest0321

I'm still lurking around this site from time to time in search of information on MECEP. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been wondering why the MARADMIN for this year's MECEP program has yet to be published. Yesterday, a new MARADMIN was released outlining some major changes to MECEP and the other commissioning programs.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcrc/Pages/Majorchangesforenlistedtoofficerprograms.aspx

Three chances a year to earn your commission. Should be interesting.

RoarkJr.

I am a MECEP who is about to commission and head to TBS with Echo Co. As a junior Marine forums were an important tool in keeping me connected with other Marines who were working hard toward the same goal. With that in mind, if anyone reading this has any questions feel free to contact me.

I was selected on board 1, FY15 I believe. The message came out in July 2015, I graduated OCS in November, and by April 2016 I was in college. I've been here for three years (after quite a few changes in major) and am now on my way out with an air contract. I know the application process has changed somewhat, but I'd be happy to share anything that could be of use.

wesdel94

I am a MECEP who is about to commission and head to TBS with Echo Co. As a junior Marine forums were an important tool in keeping me connected with other Marines who were working hard toward the same goal. With that in mind, if anyone reading this has any questions feel free to contact me.

I was selected on board 1, FY15 I believe. The message came out in July 2015, I graduated OCS in November, and by April 2016 I was in college. I've been here for three years (after quite a few changes in major) and am now on my way out with an air contract. I know the application process has changed somewhat, but I'd be happy to share anything that could be of use.
YES! just what i was looking for! I'm prior enlisted 2147 i got out in '16 an E-5 and am about to re-up soon due to family circumstances. I was considering USAF to have a better chance landing a fighter slot but as far as i know they don't offer an enlisted commissioning program that allows for pilot training after commissioning. So the MC MECEP is my only real shot it seems, also I'll be 25 this July and i heard they increased the pilot training age from 28 to 33? Either way i should be fine since i have prior service that would essentially add 4 years to my age limit. How competitive is the MECEP program, and whats the easiest way to get accepted? Is there maybe a specific MOS i should enlist with? Besides good PT scores, test scores, and Performance review's from unit command is there anything else that can give me a head start or an edge? Thanks for your time and good luck with your career. Semper Fi

RoarkJr.

Happy to help. So you got out in 2016 but you're about to "re-up." Do you mean that you're about to go from IRR back to active duty? MECEP is only open to active duty Sergeants and above. Also, I don't think the age increase applies to the Marine Corps from what I can tell so far, but you're right that prior time will afford you a window past 28, though I'm not sure what the exact limit is.

RoarkJr.

If you’re going back in and don’t have your degree yet, MECEP is a great deal. Shooting from the hip I’d say they pick ~60 MECEPS a year. It’s pretty competitive, and some people don’t get picked up until their second/third time applying.

Your enlisted MOS doesn’t matter. The best way to get started is to read the most recent mecep maradmin, you’ll get all the requirements, timelines etc. from that. The mcrc on/e website also has a ton of info, including some selection statistics.

PFT is important because you need to show that you can keep up at OCS, though a guy I was selected with had one in the 270’s. Some things I learned along the line were: Put an EGA watermark on your personal essay so you stand out, make sure you have everything in OMPF (even stuff like LOAs), and ask for letters of recommendation early so that you’re not waiting for them later.

Keep in mind that you may have to apply for the program as a ground contract, then apply for air at college. That may have changed as it’s been 4 years though.

If you already have the 12 required credits and apply asap, you should be able to make the age cutoff. If not, you may be cutting it close. The application process from start to orders to college can take a while. It was about a year for me.

Last edited:

xmid

pilot
Contributor
YES! just what i was looking for! I'm prior enlisted 2147 i got out in '16 an E-5 and am about to re-up soon due to family circumstances. I was considering USAF to have a better chance landing a fighter slot but as far as i know they don't offer an enlisted commissioning program that allows for pilot training after commissioning. So the MC MECEP is my only real shot it seems, also I'll be 25 this July and i heard they increased the pilot training age from 28 to 33? Either way i should be fine since i have prior service that would essentially add 4 years to my age limit. How competitive is the MECEP program, and whats the easiest way to get accepted? Is there maybe a specific MOS i should enlist with? Besides good PT scores, test scores, and Performance review's from unit command is there anything else that can give me a head start or an edge? Thanks for your time and good luck with your career. Semper Fi

You're crazy if you want to fly fighters and are shooting for USMC over USAF. Ask all of our USMC fighter pilots.

wesdel94

You're crazy if you want to fly fighters and are shooting for USMC over USAF. Ask all of our USMC fighter pilots.
I would prefer AF over MC only bc of better odds of landing a fighter slot, but it doesn’t have a program like MECEP it has the AECP but that doesn’t allow pilot training after commissioning. Unless you know of a program that does?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I would prefer AF over MC only bc of better odds of landing a fighter slot, but it doesn’t have a program like MECEP it has the AECP but that doesn’t allow pilot training after commissioning. Unless you know of a program that does?
Air National Guard. Run, don't walk, to your nearest fighter unit.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im down the road from the 159th but i don't have my degree yet so i want to enlist and do an ECP

The Guard has plentiful opportunities for folks who enlist and want to complete their degrees. My two cents is that MECEP is a gamble from start to finish, from getting into the program to getting what you want in the end.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Im down the road from the 159th but i don't have my degree yet so i want to enlist and do an ECP
Dude. Plenty of their pilot slots come from within. Seriously. Go talk to them, bring a bottle of whiskey and a good attitude.

wesdel94

The Guard has plentiful opportunities for folks who enlist and want to complete their degrees. My two cents is that MECEP is a gamble from start to finish, from getting into the program to getting what you want in the end.
Yea like i said I've heard they wont talk to you unless I'm almost done college but if you say so ill give it a shot