• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MECEP: Aviation Guarantee prior to TBS

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know where to locate an order, directive, CNETINST, or something relating to an aviation guarantee that can be submitted prior to TBS (particularly for MECEP/ BOOST Marines). I have not (yet) tried to get this question answered utilizing my chain of command, I would rather get it through my own means. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Glen

The only aviation guaranteed as far as I know is thru the PLC program. For the rest, you gotta hope you get it at the end of training at TBS.

Glen
(ECP Select)

SlickAg

pilot
MECEPs and Marine-option mids can also get aviation guarantees. This is from the Notre Dame NROTC website: "The Marine Corps does offer flight guarantees, which can be granted by meeting the requirements any time up to 90 days before graduation. " I'm pretty sure the requirements are passing the flight physical and getting 4/6 on the ASTB.

FlyMikeFly

pilot
Contributor
Thanks Slick. Glen, I know for sure MECEPs can get the aviation guarantee, I have several here with me at The Citadel, but they know nothing more than just completing the ASTB and flight physical. I am looking for someone who knows of some official directions on submitting the package. Thanks though.

SlickAg

pilot
I would just talk to your unit's aviation officer about taking the ASTB and then the MOI or AMOI about getting a flight physical so you can submit your package. I know people here who've done it and their POC has just been the junior MOI.

powder

I was a MECEP who got an aviation guarantee. The only things I had to do were take the ASTB and get a flight physical. My MOI/AMOI handled the rest. The package isn't really that big. All they send in are your scores, physical, and basically a letter signed by you stating that you would like an aviation slot along with a statement of understanding saying that your commitment would be extended after flight school. All it really took for me is to go to my AMOI and say I would like to put in for an aviation guarantee. Hope this helps.

Do me a favor. Walk up to ....and tell him he's weak. That should get you a good workout.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I am a MECEP checking in to my school (tomorrow actually), I met my MOI last week and the first question he asked was if I wanted to go aviation.

FlyMikeFly

pilot
Contributor
Alright Powder, I'll let Chewie know you think he is weak. He makes sure we have good workouts regardless. Thanks for the info.

Crowbar

None
Does anyone know where to locate an order, directive, CNETINST, or something relating to an aviation guarantee that can be submitted prior to TBS (particularly for MECEP/ BOOST Marines). I have not (yet) tried to get this question answered utilizing my chain of command, I would rather get it through my own means. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Right here, CNETINST 1533.15D para 512.

mmarriott5

I am at a crossroads right now. I am a Sergeant in the Marine Corps on active duty and I want to become a Marine Aviator. What would be the best path for this? I am 22 years old, have a year left on my contract, and I meet all the new requirements for MECEP. I also have already had a full flight physical done and meet the requirements for the aviation aspect. If I tried for MECEP for FY2011 I would have to reenlist or extend. It sounds like I could get an air contract prior to graduating college and the active duty part while in college would be nice. I will have an Associates Degree by January 2011. I guess my other option is to get out and go straight to college and maybe look into PLC or OCC, but I am not sure about all that. Would my prior service play a role in this option? I know the road is long and tough, but I welcome the challenge. I just do not want to put all the work in and not make it because of some reason I can't control. Thank you for all your input!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Apply for MECEP. Biggest scam In the Marine Corps, and the aviation contracts are a little easier to come by than in PLC. By that I mean you don't have to go through repeated nail biting board processes. My flight contract was little more than thirty minutes of paperwork, a flight physical, and a phone call by my MOI. No weeks and months of reapplying and worrying that often manifests itself here. Of course a good ASTB will grease the gears. That said, if you suck you'll still have a hard time getting anywhere.

PS. If you meet the new MECEP requirements you are one of about ten people in he Marine Corps. It is incredibly disappointing that so many incredibly qualified combat Marines are being hosed over by the education requirement. I've contemplated writing a piece about the ridiculousness of the new process.

Crowbar

None
PS. If you meet the new MECEP requirements you are one of about ten people in he Marine Corps. It is incredibly disappointing that so many incredibly qualified combat Marines are being hosed over by the education requirement. I've contemplated writing a piece about the ridiculousness of the new process.

I don't know. Looking at last year's stats, 262 of the 345 applicants (76%) were Sergeants or above. As far as selection, 91 out of 100 (you do the math) selected were Sergeants or above. MCRC doesn't publish on their site stats for number of applicants/selectees with college credit or for TIS so I don't know the numbers for them. Stats here.

We have some good Marines that I would have Recommended with Enthusiasm who wanted to apply but weren't qualified this year. Just like everything else, it all goes back to NEEDS OF THE MARINE CORPS. Remember last year there was no rank or college credit requirement and the TIS requirement was one year? Before that you had to be a Corporal or above with one or two years TIS. I will say that the people who talked to me about the program and wanted to apply all say that now their focus is on getting promoted and getting enough college so they can apply next year. The minimums are being adjusted as the Marine Corps sees fit to meet their demands.

I know MCRC can do what they want and if they aren't able to justify the new requirements, those will change. I also know there will always be cases of someone who should have been able to apply who's now not being allowed to reenlist for some reason. My squadron had one case like that, but I don't think it's an attempt by the Marine Corps to screw anybody. The MARADMIN does say that the college requirement is to ensure students can assimilate into an academic environment. I don't know if MCRC is seeing that many applications that meet the new requirements or if it's just an attempt to reduce attrition. In the meantime, we have Marines throughout the Corps who are working that much harder to make themselves eligible/competitive. That can't be all bad, now can it?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'll agree that 1 year TIS and no rank requirement was loose, and moved away from the intent of the program. I thought that was ridiculous, but like you said it is MCRC's show and they can do what they want. What really, really irks me is an education requirement to replace MECEP Prep. The credit requirement wasn't meant to decrease the flow of applicants. It was to save money. MECEP was intended to pick up those E-4s to E-6s that had been there and done that and had shown potential to become company grade officers. By blindsiding everybody with a 12 hour nonwaiverable, nonnegotiable minimum in lieu of MECEP Prep, MCRC is pushing A LOT of potential applicants who would be both well suited to the classroom and outstanding company grade officers out of the game. They could have done that in 2002 and nobody would have really cared. Now, there are guys who have "off duty" education, but most of them took the courses while they were deployed and just couldn't come by 12 hours of college credit between the fighting in every clime and place and all of the PME and training requirements and, God forbid, family life. Sure, there's always next year, but a lot of guys are either at the end of their enlistment and say fuck this, or more importantly, the really salty ones who had their MECEP package by the nuts because they were so qualified under the old rules, but now they will be too old. I believe it is a failure by the front office to recognize that a lot of talent is out on their face this year with no warning, and a lot of them won't be back.

Crowbar

None
I believe it is a failure by the front office to recognize that a lot of talent is out on their face this year with no warning, and a lot of them won't be back.

I don't remember anybody ever being promised the chance to apply for a commissioning program.

I'm not saying that we won't have some good Marines who are no longer eligible. What I am saying is that until selection rates hit 100%, MCRC can still be selective, which is all they're doing now. You can think it's ridiculous all you want. It doesn't bother me. But before you go writing an article about how wrong the Marine Corps is, I'm just giving you something to think about.