• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May 06, 2006

Wingnut

Kill your television
Thanks for the gouge, TWilson; I've more or less given up on getting the NKO login and have been concentrating on the big four. As for the running, I've heard the same things. For better or worse, the running isn't what it used to be. I do think at some point you're wasting time with lots of running that could be better spent elsewhere, and the injury potential was a big problem back when, but I see the amount of running they're doing anymore as not much of a challenge if you've been running regularly.
As for getting sick in OCS, I figure it'll probably happen. Seems lots of people who go through OCS or RTC pick up a cold or something that they don't really get rid of until they get out and rest up. I've been hitting the multivitamins lately; I'm sure that'll help, but my understanding is that they don't let you have them once you get there. Hopefully I'm pretty well built up, my brother has been sick all week and so far I've fought that off; if I'm lucky I'll avoid getting that and maybe be better off for having fought it off, if not I'll probably have it hit me just as we're starting. I'm not sure what was meant by "airborn," I'm just hoping they have stuff with lots of vitamin C at the galley there to keep my immune system going. Whatever the case, it'd be nice to make it through OCS without getting sick, but I'm half-planning on suffering through a portion of it with something.

caseyh46

Hey you guys we all need to try and get together next Friday night and grab a bite to eat... BS for a little bit before we hit it the next day...

and dont' worry about getting sick... everyone does... just like everyone gets sick on the boat... it's the "boot camp" funk.. it lives and breeds there at OCS.. just like on the boat LOL... You can only put so many different people from different areas in the same place for long before everyone gets sick... you normally get over it in a day or so then you're good... plus.. they'll probably run it out of us LOL

TSmyth

pilot
So I finally got my official orders this week. And, I'm assuming that it's the same as everyone else's. Report no earlier than noon on Saturday but no later than 11am on Sunday. Sooo, my plan is to report in around 9am on Sunday. I don't see any great need to let them start the abuse a day early. When are you guys reporting in?

caseyh46

I'd say 0900 on Sunday would be about right... hey.. maybe we could just hang out in the house one more day... a day to rest up after the drive wouldn't be bad... :)

S.O.B.

pilot
TSmyth said:
So I finally got my official orders this week. And, I'm assuming that it's the same as everyone else's. Report no earlier than noon on Saturday but no later than 11am on Sunday. Sooo, my plan is to report in around 9am on Sunday. I don't see any great need to let them start the abuse a day early. When are you guys reporting in?

I think you guys are looking at this all wrong. If your orders say NLT 1100 I would check in at 1059. I was a fleet guy so my orders said NLT a certain date. I checked in at 2200 on that date. Why give some Candidate Officer Tool Box, who by the way has been in the navy a grand total of eight weeks, more time to Fvck with you and pretend he’s a DI?.............Enjoy

TSmyth

pilot
While I am a big fan of "Candidate Officer Tool Box", I think being the last guy in at 1059 might bring a little extra, unwanted attention. That being said, how intimidated can you get from a guy who has been in the navy 8 weeks longer than yourself? Now, the DIs are probably a different story all together!
While I'm at it, I have one question:
If you're the fastest swimmer in the pool, does that increase your chances to get jets? I bet it does.

Later fellas

S.O.B.

pilot
TSmyth said:
While I am a big fan of "Candidate Officer Tool Box", I think being the last guy in at 1059 might bring a little extra, unwanted attention. That being said, how intimidated can you get from a guy who has been in the navy 8 weeks longer than yourself? Now, the DIs are probably a different story all together!
While I'm at it, I have one question:
If you're the fastest swimmer in the pool, does that increase your chances to get jets? I bet it does.

Later fellas

Not so much intimidated as annoying, Just don’t be the guy that’s trying to win OCS. It’s like trying to win SERE, it’s not going to happen.

I remember when I was a candidate officer and the indoc class met the Drill Instructor for the first time. True story. A prior enlisted SUBNUC literally Shat in his pants. AWSOME! there’s a future leader of men

caseyh46

So... did you guys have a good last weekend? it may be awhile before we get an entire weekend again...

Wingnut

Kill your television
I had a pretty good weekend, had the big sendoff yesterday. Gonna miss being around here, but that's part of life.
Anyway, I plan on arriving in Pensacola late Friday. Saturday I'll rest up, check things out, and do whatever else I feel like doing with my last day as a civilian for a while. I've heard if you report Saturday they just tell you to come back Sunday. I plan on showing up probably around 0930, maybe 1000; I'm in agreement that you don't want to be the first to trickle in, but I don't want to cut it too close. Gonna get fun fast, let me tell you; can't wait to meet my DI ;) By the way, every time I think of being yelled at by a DI or Chief, I think of that scene in Hot Shots where you see Washout being yelled at through his eyes. I'm just a little hooked on that movie... Whatever it takes though, I think humor will help when the going gets rough.
Oh, and the SNA who's the biggest prick gets the jets. Or at least I hope there are a couple SNAs (or any other designation for that matter) in my class who think that. Not that I like being around those people, but a couple to keep the DIs busy (ie, riding them instead of me) could be nice.
Anyway, I'll PM my cell number to those headed to the same class; feel free to call, and hopefully we can all get together sometime Saturday.

TSmyth

pilot
Ahh, at first I read your comment as the SNA who HAS the biggest prick gets jets. Too bad... I thought I had it made!
The reality of the next 12 weeks is definitely starting to settle in. I'm not really nervous anymore. Just curious as to what we have in store! It will definitely be a good bonding experience. We're all in the sh!t together so we might as well stick it out together.
Let's hope that none of us get hurt!
Can't wait to rock the poopies

GtRichrFlyTryin

How does one get selected for Navy OCS w/out going through the BDCP? That's really all I've heard about, and I got discouraged b/c I'm less than a year from graduation. Already in the Marine Corps OCS for this summer with an air contract, but hey, it's good to have options!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
GtRichrFlyTryin said:
How does one get selected for Navy OCS w/out going through the BDCP? That's really all I've heard about, and I got discouraged b/c I'm less than a year from graduation. Already in the Marine Corps OCS for this summer with an air contract, but hey, it's good to have options!

If you have less than a year left of school or have already graduated, you simply apply for OCS through an officer recruiter. If you're graduating in 2 years and applying for BDCP right now, you're looking at FY 08 slots, if you're graduating this may and applying, you're looking at late FY06/early FY 07.

derekd2

hope everyone is getting ready. Only a few days left. I actually am kinda nervous, I did something stupid. Like 2 weeks ago I was running and hurt my ankle, I took some time off, and tried to run yesterday, I was a bit slow and my ankle still hurt a little. I pushed through it, its not a serious pain. I just hope I can make it through. Hopefully a few more days of rest and everything will be fine. Stupid is as stupid does eh?

Wingnut

Kill your television
Hey Derek, we'll be seeing you at OCS too? We (or several of us anyway; not sure how it'll all work out) are planning on getting together sometime Saturday for a good meal before the fun begins.
As for the running, as long as it's something that can take some stress and still heal on its own, and you can do the 1.5 mile fast enough, you'll probably be ok. They have at least two running groups from what I've heard, so you probably won't have to worry too much about speed, but plan on about ten to fifteen miles a week. Also, if you're not sure what happened to it, be careful about it. Better to miss three weeks than ten, if worst comes to worst. If the pain isn't too bad and doesn't seem to get worse, then hopefully you can get away with it. Good luck.

mwc 05

Helo Guy
pilot
short notice

in a 3 hour stretch beginning at noon today i found out that I got final select for SNA, that my OCS date was this weekend, gave a mere 48 hours notice at work, and swore in. I tried to have the date moved back so that I could be more accommodating to the command where I work as a civilian. I was told that maybe that pays off, but if not the Navy is under no obligation to me and the process would have to be repeated. The officer that I spoke with mentioned that they are desperate for candidates in this class as there are currently only about 15. So I plan on some panic in the packing process and then flying down on Saturday. Good luck to everyone.