• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Master's degrees: Brick & Mortar vs. Internet

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Rumor. I know plenty of O4's and up that have only a bachelor's degree, myself included.
Good info. Thanks. Wasn't sure if They required it at all down the road and in a certain discipline. Edit: Per your line of work. I.e. aeronautics if your fly

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good info. Thanks. Wasn't sure if They required it at all down the road and in a certain discipline. Edit: Per your line of work. I.e. aeronautics if your fly
For the most part for URL, the Navy doesn't care what your graduate degree is in or where it comes from.

Renegade One

None
Rumor. I know plenty of O4's and up that have only a bachelor's degree, myself included.
It's a good (and old…) rumor. I was an O-5 before I was sent to the NWC for a year. I don't advocate it in these more competitive times, but my thinking was always "if the Navy wants you to get a Master's…they'll send you somewhere to get it". Was true back then…even for many O-6s in my class…may not be true now.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
It's a good (and old…) rumor. I was an O-5 before I was sent to the NWC for a year. I don't advocate it in these more competitive times, but my thinking was always "if the Navy wants you to get a Master's…they'll send you somewhere to get it". Was true back then…even for many O-6s in my class…may not be true now.
as an NFO did you see yourself doing more management oriented jobs than similar platform NA's or do NA's get slotted for similar ground job's or roles when not in the air? I guess it would also depend what stage in your career you are as well.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
also could your role on the ground be influenced by your degrees or does it truly not matter what you mastered in?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
as an NFO did you see yourself doing more management oriented jobs than similar platform NA's or do NA's get slotted for similar ground job's or roles when not in the air? I guess it would also depend what stage in your career you are as well.
With a couple of exceptions (like LSO), the ground jobs of pilots and NFOs are identical. Your degree won't have any bearing on what your ground job might be. Having a hard science background might help you get into the test community (or CVN CO pipeline down the road), but for the most part, your educational background doesn't matter much to the Navy.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I just graduated last week with a Top 10 MBA and used the Post 9-11 GI Bill to pay for it. The Navy doesn't really care because it's my second Master's degree. My first Master's degree might have helped me screen for O-5, but I'm not certain because I haven't seen those stats.

Renegade One

None
As Brett said, with the exception of being an LSO…the answer is absolutely not.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
also could your role on the ground be influenced by your degrees or does it truly not matter what you mastered in?
Some degree programs offered through the Navy give you a sub-specialty code that would generally only come into play if you fell off (or wanted out of) the typical path to command/major command/flag.

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
I had never heard any of this about having a Master's degree; I was always under the impression that a Bachelor's was all you needed. I'm definitely planning on going to OCS (assuming I get selected) as soon as I finish up my undergrad degree. What roadblocks would one face later on down the road if I don't get my Master's? Is there a limit to how far I would be able to pursue my career?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had never heard any of this about having a Master's degree; I was always under the impression that a Bachelor's was all you needed. I'm definitely planning on going to OCS (assuming I get selected) as soon as I finish up my undergrad degree. What roadblocks would one face later on down the road if I don't get my Master's? Is there a limit to how far I would be able to pursue my career?
Don't worry about it too much. The first real career milestone that has a soft "requirement" for a graduate degree is O5 command. There will be opportunities to knock that out along the way. That is at least 15 years down the road for you.