• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marriage at Flight School

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
If they wanted me to have a family they would have issued me one, right? It seems like the further you get through the program the better feel you have for how to adapt your life to the system. I'm sure I'll figure it out like everyone else before me because no situation is the same really.

LET73

If they wanted me to have a family they would have issued me one, right? It seems like the further you get through the program the better feel you have for how to adapt your life to the system. I'm sure I'll figure it out like everyone else before me because no situation is the same really.
Eh, if they wanted you to have a family, they'd give you some extra money to support dependents. Wait...
Yeah, you'll figure it out as things move forward. I don't know anyone who didn't manage to get married because the Navy somehow stopped them.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I read ya. If it were easy it probably it wouldn't be worthwhile but it's definitely not impossible. Proposal in a couple of weeks and just wanted to know if there were any guaranteed windows. She gets it and so do I. No troubles.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
True...but there are certainly "better" and "worse" times...

I'm putting most of my eggs in the "I'll probably be able to take ~1 week of leave for Christmas while I'm in Advanced" basket. I'm saving one egg for the "I'll just take the 2-day marriage leave and make it up later" basket.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm putting most of my eggs in the "I'll probably be able to take ~1 week of leave for Christmas while I'm in Advanced" basket. I'm saving one egg for the "I'll just take the 2-day marriage leave and make it up later" basket.
Just don't get the right egg(s) in the wrong basket(s)!:eek::p
Leave Basket.png
BzB

JMac_11

Question for you married fellas: for someone who is already married before heading to OCS, when would typically be the best time to have your wife join up with you? After OCS, before API? After API?

elmernite

PRO REC Y: SNA
I report down to Pensacola March 21-25th. I've looking to get married late April.
What is the wait for IFS looking like? How flexible is the command on IFS start dates?
Or, how likely is IFS to take up a Saturday?
Thanks,
-Ken

MemphisBell

pilot
I got to pensacola in December and I'm still waiting for IFS. However, things may be moving along by the time you get here. Just tell flight management when you get here what you are planning on doing and they will probably work with you. Good luck!!

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I report down to Pensacola March 21-25th. I've looking to get married late April.
What is the wait for IFS looking like? How flexible is the command on IFS start dates?
Or, how likely is IFS to take up a Saturday?
Thanks,
-Ken
IFS start dates are whenever your particular flight school picks you up. Expect to class up a couple weeks after arrival but be prepared to wait a couple months. I was at trident and flew 7 days a week no questions asked. Once I started flying I was finished in 14 days.

Majority of flight school planning is dumb luck and things just working out in/not in your favor. Let student control know your intentions and of course you'll get the 'you're here to fly' talk. I happened to plan a wedding for May 30, finished API a couple weeks before and started primary a couple weeks after...again, dumb luck. Be vocal early but don't be pushy and expect to get your way. My advice is go to the court house and seal the deal and wait until gold adorns your chest to have the ceremony. A couple friends pulled off the Ceremony before primary but timing was on their side. It can be done but your best bet it talking to someone who can actually speak to your question (API admin).

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
And don't be that guy/gal who fails simple IFS or API stuff. That's one way to screw up your plans really quick. It's the easiest part of flight school and failing early on can exponentially increase your time in Pensacola...