• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marriage at Flight School

cameron172

pilot
Better to find out now that getting two weeks is naive and I'd be lucky to get a 96 rather than when my chit is denied.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
any input would be great but I'm hearing that it's months from OCS commission to IFS start; that said would it be feasible to plan a wedding a month - two months after OCS com date? I'd hate to try and swing a flight school wedding just because of what I have read on this thread so far. Anyone have any insight on if this "backup" in pcola should still be relevant in Oct-Nov time frame? Also I'll be part of FY 15 so I wasn't sure if that means you don't start IFS/API until at least Jan 15...

Fallonflyr

pilot
any input would be great but I'm hearing that it's months from OCS commission to IFS start; that said would it be feasible to plan a wedding a month - two months after OCS com date? I'd hate to try and swing a flight school wedding just because of what I have read on this thread so far. Anyone have any insight on if this "backup" in pcola should still be relevant in Oct-Nov time frame? Also I'll be part of FY 15 so I wasn't sure if that means you don't start IFS/API until at least Jan 15...
FY 15 starts Oct 2014

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
Thanks. I assume as of the first FY 15 graduation Oct 12?

I commissioned Sep13 and didn't start IFS until December. It usually get pretty backed up after the summer due to all the Academy/NROTC guys/gals showing up, but not always. I planned my wedding for November, and it it worked out just fine for me. Months of Apool isn't a sure thing by any means, but you probably have a decent shot that time of year.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I'm treading some dangerous wedding territory, but the fiancée and I are completely open to and content with the possibility that none of our plans will be successful. That said, the current scheme is a Dec. 21 wedding date (set deliberately to increase the odds of a successful wedding/honeymoon package). I'll be in Advanced by then, and hopefully the vacation policy at that training command is similar to TW5, where most of us got a grip of holiday time off. The first gamble is hoping I can burn some leave on a combined wedding date + holiday time. Provided I can get a grip of time, the second gamble is hoping there isn't a complication with spending five or so of those days in Paris.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
any input would be great but I'm hearing that it's months from OCS commission to IFS start; that said would it be feasible to plan a wedding a month - two months after OCS com date?
Regardless of whar the wait time between Commissioning & IFS now, it is no indicator of what it will be when you complete OCS. You would be wise to wait until you report to PCola, and size up the situation before making firm wedding plans. No one can predict what the A-Pool delay will be 9-12+ months from now.;)
Wedding:D
Snow White-1.jpg

Deployment:eek:
Snow White-2.jpg
BzB

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I'm hearing that it's months from OCS commission to IFS start;.
It all depends on the A-Pool situation. I know people that waited up towards 6 months to start IFS where as I only waited a month or two. All is dependent and you know nothing till you name is called.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
It all depends on the A-Pool situation. I know people that waited up towards 6 months to start IFS where as I only waited a month or two. All is dependent and you know nothing till you name is called.
presumably, coming out of Newport one should have an idea of 'the situation'? or is it vague and you get the orders out of the blue

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
presumably, coming out of Newport one should have an idea of 'the situation'? or is it vague and you get the orders out of the blue
If your medically qualified you prob won't get orders until week 11 or 12 of OCS. Once in PCola you class up when you class up. Rumor was we would have a 3-4 month A-Pool wait for IFS. I classed up in 2 months a few of my buddies classed up within the month once they they finished DIVOLC. You can try to get an idea but you won't know till you get orders and get down there tbh.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Provided I can get a grip of time, the second gamble is hoping there isn't a complication with spending five or so of those days in Paris.

I spent 6 days in Paris on my flight school wedding/Honeymoon without TOO many problems. But we did it in the time between soft wings and the winging, and it was back in 2000. So YMMV.

Problem I ran into was scheduling the wedding. The first date we picked was also in the CQ date range, so we had to slide the wedding a week. Once we got past that, all was good.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's near impossible to predict your schedule, and even if you could predict it, last-minute changes are pretty much a certainty. You're better off having a small JP wedding so she's taken care of should the worst happen, and saving the big church wedding (if that's what you want) for after the RAG when things settle out a bit. I've had friends who did it that way. I got married while in the FRS, over Labor Day weekend. Even that was a bit of a gamble.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Every command is going to tell you to wait to get married in your next command because of X. Flight school, RAG, first year in the fleet...

There's never a "good time" to get married as far as ops is concerned. Kind of like having kids.