• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marksmanship

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’ve been taught that stance as well, but we were also told to do whatever is comfortable. Also, I didn’t need to collapse my rifle stock to shoot this way. The main benefit we were told is it helps keep our front plate square to the threat, vs exposing our side. I can’t recall anyone who kept their side plates in, either.
Funny thing on ballistic plates…of course with the FBI it is a different beast with 8 to 10 heavily armed agents going after one bad guy…but in Iraq I wore side plates but not the cock-and-ball flap. While in Afghanistan I wore a pretty slimmed down plate carrier with just a front and back plate (to much up hill there). Other guys wouldn’t go near the front gate without their groin protector but never wore side plates! To each their own.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Not opposed to corporal punishment necessarily (maybe a bit)...but I will say I got 3 'licks' in the hallway as a 7th grader from a woman who believed the moon landings were faked by Hollywood...so there's that. I probably deserved it, but I have questions about people like this entrusted to carry it out. 😆
Don’t leave us hanging - which one of you was right? 😆

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
To get back to the original topic...I'm a righty, but left eye dominant. When shooting any weapon for target practice (pistol, M-16, shotgun), I resorted to closing my left eye. Probably not practical for real world employment, but it seemed to work at the range and for quals.

Anyone else have this issue, or is there any other method to deal with it?

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
To get back to the original topic...I'm a righty, but left eye dominant. When shooting any weapon for target practice (pistol, M-16, shotgun), I resorted to closing my left eye. Probably not practical for real world employment, but it seemed to work at the range and for quals.

A little piece of scotch tape in the upper left side (blocking left eye view of the bead) on the left lens of your shooting glasses will help in shotgun sports.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
A little piece of scotch tape in the upper left side (blocking left eye view of the bead) on the left lens of your shooting glasses will help in shotgun sports.
This sounds like a good solution for shotgun sports. I'm assuming there's advantage to having both eye's open (but having that non-dominant-hand eye blurred out with regards to the bead), vice just closing that eye. I'm guessing there are still advantages with having a bit of stereo vision?

For pistols, I still close my left eye and aim high and right of the bullseye bc I know I'm going to yank it down and left with my trigger pull.😄

Griz882

pilot
Contributor

Shooting with one eye closed isn’t the end of the world. We won two world wars teaching our infantry to do just that. In the end if makes you comfortable then do it how you do it. If I’m shooting iron sights and precision (like we did in the Corps to qualify) then I close one eye (oddly, in my case, I am left-handed but shoot from the right). If I’m doing CQB and have an optic then I keep both eyes open (and use my ammo more liberally). In both of my early Afghan and Iraq tours I shot over iron sights, closed an eye, and managed to hit what I was aiming at - more or less.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Shooting with one eye closed isn’t the end of the world. We won two world wars teaching our infantry to do just that. In the end if makes you comfortable then do it how you do it. If I’m shooting iron sights and precision (like we did in the Corps to qualify) then I close one eye (oddly, in my case, I am left-handed but shoot from the right). If I’m doing CQB and have an optic then I keep both eyes open (and use my ammo more liberally). In both of my early Afghan and Iraq tours I shot over iron sights, closed an eye, and managed to hit what I was aiming at - more or less.
You've now got me trying to remember how I was taught at TBS with regards to marksmanship (eye dominance, closing an eye, etc). I honestly can't remember.

I do know that I can't hit a clay with a shotgun, if I don't close my left eye...😆

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm right hand/left eye dominant and shot that way for a long time doing the Navy pistol quals. When I started getting into shooting more seriously, I found one (of many) reasons I didn't do well on B8s was shooting cross-eyed. Like JTS11, I just started closing my left eye and forcing myself to shoot pistol with my right eye. Reinforced with improved scores, shooting with my right eye just became natural 99% of the time.

When I transitioned to a red dot on a pistol, I had to still close my left eye to find the dot and not have parallax error. As I became more accustomed to the dot and where to put the gun after a draw, it got better. Nowadays if I'm shooting close, I'll probably have both eyes open and for distance precision shots (25-50y), I'll close my eye. If I'm practicing B8s at 25y, it will depend on my mood and how my eyes are feeling on what I'll do.

Meanwhile, I always shot right-eyed with a rifle without any real trouble.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
This sounds like a good solution for shotgun sports. I'm assuming there's advantage to having both eye's open (but having that non-dominant-hand eye blurred out with regards to the bead), vice just closing that eye. I'm guessing there are still advantages with having a bit of stereo vision?

For pistols, I still close my left eye and aim high and right of the bullseye bc I know I'm going to yank it down and left with my trigger pull.😄
Every clay target presentation changes in depth relative to you, so stereo vision is important. The tape won’t really block the target.

Random8145

Are you fucking serious with this shit?

So private school students don't rotate classrooms?

Prussians?

Not the one I attended for some time. The school had the first grade class, the second grade class, the third grade class, etc...no bell system or classroom rotation. A good book about it is "The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation Into the Prison of Modern Schooling."