• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Selection out of USNA

jeff_264

Do you specifically select ground/air in the Marine selection out of the acedemy, or do you select Marine and then go air or ground out of TBS? I emailed USNA's website but they have never answered. I would like to go, but I want to keep my Marine option open.

Thanks,
Jeff

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
As a side note, in the past 3 years and for the next couple projected years, Marine billets, especially Marine flight billets are on the rise coming out of here.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
It is also worth noting that unless something has changed or I got bad gouge from a person involved in the process, there isn't a cap on Marine aviation contracts. If you are selected for a Marine commission, and are qualified for an aviation contract, you will get one if you want it.

JTB7

Three options for Marines out of USNA:

Marine Ground
Marine Air
Marine NFO

Wont they be getting rid of Marine NFO slots? Read somewhere the USMC is getting rid of NFOs, sundown plan or something..

As a side note, in the past 3 years and for the next couple projected years, Marine billets, especially Marine flight billets are on the rise coming out of here.

Good to hear.

jeff_264

Well, thats all good to hear. Im only a sophmore, but my teachers are wanting to know what I'm planning on in order to adjust my curriculum, etc.

Thanks

Jeff

wm4480

having gotten bitched out of Marine Air by my Company Officer I can tell you this: they are good people, real chill (for being MArines), who work hard and do more with less. You have a better shot at jets, and if you get them you will do more A/G Support missions. And they NEED pilots right now. For my class ('09), they were begging the MArine Selects to go pilot (which pisses me off b/c that was my 1st choice). I would not go Marine FO. If Fo is 1st choice, then go Navy.

About the Growler: the Marines don't want it/ can't afford it. They are gonna milk those prowlers for all they are worth b/c its the cheapest solution. EA6B's'll probably be here until UCAVs replace us all bud.

JTB7

having gotten bitched out of Marine Air by my Company Officer I can tell you this: they are good people, real chill (for being MArines), who work hard and do more with less. You have a better shot at jets, and if you get them you will do more A/G Support missions. And they NEED pilots right now. For my class ('09), they were begging the MArine Selects to go pilot (which pisses me off b/c that was my 1st choice). I would not go Marine FO. If Fo is 1st choice, then go Navy.

About the Growler: the Marines don't want it/ can't afford it. They are gonna milk those prowlers for all they are worth b/c its the cheapest solution. EA6B's'll probably be here until UCAVs replace us all bud.

You have a better shot of getting jets out of USNA? Just wondering, why?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think maybe he meant you have a better shot at jets in the Marines. Still a debatable premise.

I think you are heading in the right direction by keeping your options open and inquiring about them now. Like the other post said there are a few options....Marine Ground, Marine Air, Marine NFO. Best of luck to you.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marines are no longer accepting NFOs.

Is this set in stone yet? I was just reading through the 2009 AvPlan, and while it said NFO was going to be phased out by FY2019, there was no mention about when the Marine Corps was going to stop offering NFO contracts.

@Cavetroll, no knock on your comment, just wanted to satisfy my own curiosity and confirm it for any wannabe Marine SNFOs lurking.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Well, thats all good to hear. Im only a sophmore, but my teachers are wanting to know what I'm planning on in order to adjust my curriculum, etc.

Thanks

Jeff

Holy crap, as a sophomore in high school they're asking what your life plans are? I just remember trying to get through geometry proofs, much less worrying about college.

Am I that old? :confused::eek: