• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Selection out of USNA

sfdistance

As of right now, they are letting about one or two Marine SNFO's start API per month. USNA class of 08 had Marine NFO slots, not sure about 09 though. The upside of Marine FO is you are going to sit in a jet. Downside is there are no guarantees as to what you will be doing when the last of the Prowlers and F-18D's are gone.

rjmayer

I'll be attending OCS this summer with an NFO contract. I talked to a few pilots at an OCS prep weekend and their eyes got real wide when I told them I was contracted as an NFO. I plan on getting my eyes fixed and switching to SNA after OCS. I'm Marine PLC so I still have a year of school left after OCS to heal up and transfer the contract before I swear in. What those pilots told me was to save my money because by the time I get to TBS the Marines will be begging me to switch and would pay for the surgery due to a lack of aviators. I think I will still get the surgery after OCS, mostly because I'm sick of contacts and I'd feel better with that contract.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
For the record, they have made no mention of eliminating Marine NFO's to my my class (2010) and I know for a fact that one of my classmates who was dq'd from PRK specifically plans on selecting Marine NFO and he's talked to several officers on the Yard about doing just that including career prospects and whatnot, so I'd be hard pressed to be convinced they are flat out eliminating that selection just quite yet.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look, it's going to be a long time before the Marine Prowlers and D-Hornets are completely gone. This is just not something the new guys need to be sweating yet.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look, it's going to be a long time before the Marine Prowlers and D-Hornets are completely gone. This is just not something the new guys need to be sweating yet.

Fester is right, you guys need to chill. The FY2009 Marine Aviation Plan, noted in this thread and several others here already, have the Marines training NFOs out to at least FY2016 and flying Prowlers out to FY2018 (4 full squadrons to 2015). So you all can breathe a little easy, for now.

kmhsarcher

Marine NFO

My Academy class ('09) had plenty of Marine NFOs and as was previously mentioned, the Marine Corps was searching for ground guys to switch to air contracts....I personally have several friends that did it.

JTB7

If for some reason you get an NFO slot and have to phase you out, will they train you to be an SNA?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If for some reason you get an NFO slot and have to phase you out, will they train you to be an SNA?

What do you mean by "phase you out"?

There's going to be two-anchor Marines flying for a good long while yet. If you're in USNA now or just graduated, you can worry about how this will affect you when you're up for Colonel. Not in the near-term. So for the millionth time already, stop worrying about it.

JTB7

What do you mean by "phase you out"?

There's going to be two-anchor Marines flying for a good long while yet. If you're in USNA now or just graduated, you can worry about how this will affect you when you're up for Colonel. Not in the near-term. So for the millionth time already, stop worrying about it.

I'm still in HS. I'm going SNA anyway, so I am not worried. Just curious.