• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Pilot Reaches 5,000 Hornet Hours

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Thats awesome. I spent countless times watching those Hornets fly over my gf's house while I was TAD in San Dog. Definitely an historic moment in naval aviation.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
While reading the article I stumbled on this quote from the squadrons Ops-O.

In a typical career spanning eight to nine years, a Marine Hornet pilot commonly achieves 1,000 to 2,000 hours on average, said Maj. Brian Evans, operations officer for the “Smokes” of VMFA-134.

Eight to nine years? Are the majority of these aviators separating early or are they flying a desk for the last half of their career? Someone please elaborate on this.

bluto

When during your first 3 year flying tour (after two to three years getting to the fleet), you're deployed for a 6 month IA (unless you get "lucky" and stay for a year) and probably do at least one if not two cruises; then get your good deal deploying FAC tour orders for at least another year; come back to the fleet only to IA again as a major, the grass begins to look greener, especially if you have a family. As another thread recently stated, our airframes are getting old. Many active duty squadrons had to submit flight time waivers last year as they were unable to get their boys 100 hours for the year. And its only going to get worse so life in the CivDiv begins to shine a little brighter for some.

By the way, VMFA-134 is closing this year (along with an active duty squadron). The Smokes were just given an extra $10+ million to contract out maintenance for a full day/night crew to be the primary fixed wing support for Mojave Viper (the predeployment workup for OIF bound units). So now who's going to pick up the slack. Your already overtaxed fleet squadrons.

bluto

I know I'm venting, but the continued short sightedness of the Corps is killing us. To close VMFA-134 (or any reserve squadron) is such a complete waste. The average pilot hours for these squadrons is well over 2000 per pilot (or Tone's 5000+), most are Topgun or WTI grads (if not instructors) and their capabilities are still superior to any fleet squadron, even with older A Hornets. In the case of 134, they operate daily in support of active duty Marines for a third of the financial cost and are on tap to be the sole support for our predeployment training for Iraq (which right now is significantly gapped). Yet we will close them, continue to short change our deploying units and cut into our active squadrons training so they can support CAS every day. All the reserve squadrons have been begging to be utilized, OIF or UDP, it didn't matter. I still do not understand the lack of political will to tap into these valuable assets. What a waste.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Just curious...that Lt.Col Constant seems young to reach 5000hrs...I mean in a 25 year career in the cockpit every year thats 200hrs per year!! Makes you realize how much the man has flown....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
brd2881 said:
Just curious...that Lt.Col Constant seems young to reach 5000hrs...I mean in a 25 year career in the cockpit every year thats 200hrs per year!! Makes you realize how much the man has flown....

Is that a lot? Not trying to be a smartass, honest question. Seems like a trip to the RAG and a couple of operational tours and it's doable. However, I undertand one bag of fuel is only .4 or so flight time, so I see your point (okay, now I'm being a smartass).

MasterBates

Damn! I almost had a waiver for FY mins last year. (102 HOURS IN A FLEET HSL SQUADRON!)

Only thing that saved me was JTF Katrina. I got half my annual hours in 8 days.

Way to go LtCol Constant!