• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Pilot Reaches 5,000 Hornet Hours

MasterBates

I need to get in that OPS flying club. Our OPSO keeps us in the office, and we have to be the last resort before we stay on the sked.

As the computer/tech guy, as long as the SHARP and NALCOMIS databases Jive, I can ususually fabricate a reason to fly, but it usually is either FCF or a 0300 goggle bag.

A-OPS is a bitter man. The CO flys more than him (LAMPS COs are a different UIC than their pilots (command at sea on shore duty) and usually barely get their annual mins) Thankfully, I get to hide in the back on the 'pooter so I fly a little more than him.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's a lot of Hornet hours for sure ... and it's great. But not over the top in Naval Aviation historical terms for 20+ years of flying, by any means.

He .... "started training in '86 ... Wings in 87 :))) (Sounds like he flew the Hornet and nothing else and no desks) .... RAG ..... VMFA-323, VMFA-101,VMFA(AW) 242 and VMFA(AW) 224 ... maybe some time thrown in for crossing swords with Mahmood Ali Gomer. In June 1996 he went to "Navy Fighter Weapons School at Naval Air Station Fallon, Nev.", served as a “Top Gun” instructor there before joining the “Smokes.”

Lots of flyin' exposure + flyin' opportunity + few/no desks (?) = 5000 in-type hours.

Perspective ... always maintain your perspective. :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Oh, yes....the "special" monitor. How do I get orders like that? Back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back flying orders with no desk job. Every time somebody gets back-to-back good deals, somebody else is getting back-to-back bad deals. I've been fairly lucky (he said from his Okinawa BOQ room), but this guy must have pictures of the monitor playing golf with Satan or something.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
What's the average flight hours after say about 15 years in? I realize some aircraft fly more than others. Also heard a rumor Harrier guys don't get as many hours as others. Read a bio on a Colonel (Harrier guy) one time ( 22 years in I think), had like 1950 hours total. :eek:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Harrier Dude said:
Every time somebody gets back-to-back good deals, somebody else is getting back-to-back bad deals.

Sorry about doing that to you, man.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
This "bad deal" isn't so bad. I've been flying a lot in my career (95-2005) with only a six month gap for a deploying Assistant MEU AirO job. I'm talking about the guys who do good deal after good deal and then whine like a woman when they have to ride a desk/deploy/do grunt stuff for a little while. Some guys just have a HUGE sense of entitlement.

By the way I have like 1500 total hours. About 1200 in the Harrier, which is about average for a guy like me. The high Harrier guy has about 3500 AV-8B hours. Another one has 4000, but it's AV-8A's and Bs. Lots of short flights (1.0-1.5) instead of long ones (6.0 hrs). Almost all PIC. LtCols have about 2000, generally. We average about 150-250 a year. That's a guess. The Redstripe had most us below 100 for a year or so. Better now.

More hours in Hornets? About the same. Keep in mind this is based on primarily pre-9/11 flying. Guys might be getting more now.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Harrier Dude,

Say hi to "Smiley San" if the old ******* is still around. I had a great time in Iwakuni! Of course, I was only there for 6 months but it would be a great place to keep your family.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, yes....the "special" monitor. How do I get orders like that? Back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back flying orders with no desk job. Every time somebody gets back-to-back good deals, somebody else is getting back-to-back bad deals. I've been fairly lucky (he said from his Okinawa BOQ room), but this guy must have pictures of the monitor playing golf with Satan or something.

Some folks would swear that the monitor is Satan or at least one of his demons...