• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine pilot lifestyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucf_motorcycle

I am considering pursuing a commission as a Naval Aviator in the Marine Corps. A little bit about me: I am currently a project manager for a roofing company, I will be 24 this month, I am single, I have a commercial pilot’s license with instrument and multi engine and about 215 hours. I have yet to take the ASTB or the PFT. I recently applied for a Air Force pilot slot and was non select this last board. My experience with the air force has not been very positive thus far. It was a very long process to apply and in the end I missed a deadline for the previous selection board which had a 90% selection rate for pilots and ended up in the board with the 25% selection. Me being one of the many qualified non selects. A large portion of my interest for joining the marines I have to admit is because I had heard that they are in need of pilots. I understand that the military is changing and the Marines are growing while as the Air Force is actually currently downsizing. Being as my mother was in the Air Force it seemed natural for me to apply to them since she told me good things about them. Until recently I knew very little about the marines and I am trying to get information to see if it is the right thing for me. So far I have been impressed with my experience with the Marines recruiters. I also think that the physical qualifications are important, which is something that the air force doesn't make very important. There are actually many aspects of what I like about the marines but I wanted to hear opinions from actual marines.

I have a few questions and hope that maybe a current Marine pilot could answer. Those who know more than me can answer as well but I hope to get some first hand experience answers.

1. Why a Marine pilot and not another branch?
2. Between flying duties and ground duties what is a typical work week consist of? (when not deployed)
3. What were the deployments like before 9/11 and do you feel they will return that way eventually?
4. How long is an officers flying career, can you fly for 20+ years or do you typically get moved into ground positions?
5. Are you satisfied with the bases and the housing in general?
6. Is there adequate free time to spend with your family?
7. The Marine Corps seems very serious and respected and I admire that but is it always serious business?
8. Do you frequently feel burnt out or is the workload manageable?
9. Do you get to fly to interesting places often or mostly just the sandbox?

I would like to thank everyone in advance and hope I make it understood that I am just trying to see if it is right for me.

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
I am not currently a Marine Aviator, but as an active duty infantry Marine I feel compelled to comment on two (2) things:

(1) The word Marine is capitalized. It is a title that is earned and holds higher respect than the other descriptive words of soldier, airman or sailor. Thus it is capitalized.

(2) One's true desire to be an aviator in the Marine Corps should not be to fly. Sure that is a goal, and it does need to be. But, becoming a Marine comes first, then learning to lead Marines. That is the true motivation in joining our ranks. The aviation part comes last.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ZGXtreme said:
The word Marine is capitalized. It is a title that is earned and holds higher respect than the other descriptive words of soldier, airman or sailor. Thus it is capitalized.
Puh-leese. You have got to be sh!tting me. THIS is all you have to offer this guy? Also, since you must be feeling rather smug perched atop your high horse, Sailor is also capitalized, shipmate. In the future, feel free to refer to the Navy Correspondence Manual before going so out of your way to make a fool of yourself. ;)

Keeping it real,

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok here goes short answers but Im sure more will chime in. As stated above you are a Marine, an Officer and an Aviator in that order. On to the questions
1.Bottom line we are the best Im not trying to tear down the other services but we rock. Seriously I thought to myself if I have to go inot combat I want to go with guys who the thought of losing never entered their mind. I also liked my options if I couldnt fly more in the Marine Corps than the other services. It also seemed as I was looking around at teh services the Marines valued balls as much as brains and this appealed to the history major in me.
2. It all depends I put in 10-12 hour days whether flying or jsut doing ground job stuff. It is mostyl M-F.
3. Pre 9/11 it was 18 months home six months gone for three or so interations then you were looking at a non deploying job. I cant even begin to comment on when things will "normalize"
4. You could fly the better part of a 20 year career if you chose correctly.
5. Base pretty much satified some of it is falling apart but I like to think that money goes to buy me more rockets to shoot. Housing Im a block from the beach in SoCal wahts not to like.
6.Define adequate- some dont feel like they spend enough others are itching to deploy after too much family time.
7. Shooting stuff is serious but fun going to the club is fun. We behave like 16 year olds at times and it is great know when to get stupid and when not to.
8. I feel overwhelmed by work at times but never really burned out. A good shoot ona moonless night recharges my soul.
9. The sandbox can get real interesting real quick. But as far as good places I have flown a flight of Cobras to Vegas San Fransisco and Phoenix for the weekend. And been to some really cool ports throughout the world. Australia is my happy place.
Good luck

Taxman2A

War were declared.
First off, I'd like to say the the good Corporal is right on the money here. One's reason to join the Marine Corps should not be to fly. Join the Marine Corps if you want to lead the most disciplined and best trained troops in the US Military. If you are joining to fly and to fly alone look into commercial aviation. I would like to say that I am Marine Officer, albeit a ground one. I will abstain from some of the more pilot oriented questions.

ucf_motorcycle said:
1. Why a Marine pilot and not another branch?

See Above

ucf_motorcycle said:
3. What were the deployments like before 9/11 and do you feel they will return that way eventually?

The standard peacetime deployment cycle for FMF units was 6 months deployed, and then 18 months home. Lord only knows when they will return to this.

ucf_motorcycle said:
4. How long is an officers flying career, can you fly for 20+ years or do you typically get moved into ground positions?

You will serve a B Billet in between each flying tour (on average). This is all the more reason why you shouldn't join to be an aviator alone.

ucf_motorcycle said:
5. Are you satisfied with the bases and the housing in general?

They aren't as nice as Air Force bases, if that's what you're asking. I live off base, so I can't speak for the housing. My work facility isn't great but it gets the job done.

ucf_motorcycle said:
6. Is there adequate free time to spend with your family?

My unit is currently serving 7 months deployed followed by 5 months home. 1 of the months "home" is spent doing a work up exercise. Thats just my unit.

ucf_motorcycle said:
7. The Marine Corps seems very serious and respected and I admire that but is it always serious business?

We generally have senses of humor. This is not the case across the board and it is no guarantee your reporting senior will have one. Don't get me wrong, hanging out with the other Lieutenant's off duty is always fun time.

ucf_motorcycle said:
8. Do you frequently feel burnt out or is the workload manageable?

I am a platoon commander who is responsible for not only 30 Marines but also multiple training exercises in between. I'm OK with it, but it's alot of work. This is why time management is such a big deal in training.

The main thing I want to impress here is that while we do take physical fitness more seriously than many branches- we are not just Air Force guys who run more often. We have an entirely different ethos. If you join without understanding that you will either fail or hate life.

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
Brett327 said:
Puh-leese. You have got to be sh!tting me. THIS is all you have to offer this guy? Also, since you must be feeling rather smug perched atop your high horse, Sailor is also capitalized, shipmate. In the future, feel free to refer to the Navy Correspondence Manual before going so out of your way to make a fool of yourself. ;)

Keeping it real,

Brett

That was all I could offer. I clearly stated I was not an aviator in the Marine Corps but regarding Marines info I have clearly earned the right. I never cleaimed to be on a "high horse" within my post. I posted to bits of information is a polite manner. Regarding the Navy, they are of no interest of me as I am not a member of that service. I earned and fought under the title Marine and offered a simple correction to a title that many of our brothers, some dear friends of mine, have died protecting.

Now, had I offered my comments in a demeaning and rude fashion, your post would be warranted. But it wasn't.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok lets get back on topic and not start a stupid meaningless fight. I realize we get these kind of questions often (thats why we are here) I believe he is asking Marine Aviators so if you dont fit that category AND dont offer any helpful info try the warzone!
Maybe its the fact that I had to suck CS today but Im actually using my Mod powers for once.
Off Safe

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ZGXtreme said:
Now, had I offered my comments in a demeaning and rude fashion, your post would be warranted. But it wasn't.

"It is a title that is earned and holds higher respect than the other descriptive words of soldier, airman or sailor. Thus it is capitalized."

Brett

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
A little perspective from a USMC flight student, "Espirit De Corps" (I hope I spelled it right) is ground into us Marines from day one and is something I think we should all hold dear. As an SNA, you need to be able to balance that with studying and flying and the like. I am not saying you don't need to be motivated, of course, work out hard, look good in uniform, do well on the PFT, blah blah. As far as I know, the aviation side of the Marines is much different than the Grunt side. Both need to have an appreciation of the other and their respective jobs. I think some Marines on the ground side think that wing Marines don't lead Marines, but I don't think that is true necessarily. Ok, so you are not leading a platoon in Iraq, but you still may be in charge of a shop and making sure your enlisted maintainers (who work their @sses off 24/7) are taken care of and your aircraft can get the mission done. TBS, although not a whole lot of fun (my perspective), provides somewhat of an appreciation for the ground side, but I like to call it Oz because I have heard it really isn't like anything out there in the FMF. That being said I still worked hard at TBS even though I had an air contract not only for the respect of my peers, but also to obtain what knowledge I could of field and ground operations. UCF, if you want to do this, its a lifestyle, its going to take your absolute dedication. Your living situation will always work itself out and its not always the greatest and you will probably fly over more sand than anything else. Its alot of fun and I feel a great sense of belonging to the Marines on top of being involved in the small community of Marine Aviation. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else.

USMCSNA

"TBS is awesome when you start training"
You seek out to get a commission as a United States Marine. Many make the mistake of joining the Marines to fly. I can tell you firsthand that you will be in trouble if you enter with that attitude. They will weed you out quicker than you can say Chuck Norris. On the other hand, you will get the opportunity to go to flight school after you are evaluated to be a competant provisional rifle platoon commander. What does that mean? You have to bust it pretty good for six months before you even think of flying anything. But if you do get through, you'll have made friends that will last a lifetime, and your life will change for the better. Remember, join the Marines to lead the greatest fighting organization into combat, in any MOS

Jeff29

Science Project
ZGXtreme said:
(1) The word Marine is capitalized. It is a title that is earned and holds higher respect than the other descriptive words of soldier, airman or sailor. Thus it is capitalized.

(2) One's true desire to be an aviator in the Marine Corps should not be to fly. Sure that is a goal, and it does need to be. But, becoming a Marine comes first, then learning to lead Marines. That is the true motivation in joining our ranks. The aviation part comes last.
ZGXtreme said:
I never cleaimed to be on a "high horse" within my post. I posted to bits of information is a polite manner. Regarding the Navy, they are of no interest of me as I am not a member of that service. I earned and fought under the title Marine and offered a simple correction to a title that many of our brothers, some dear friends of mine, have died protecting.
I know it's been a couple weeks since this began, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. As Brett already pointed out, these two posts are contradictory. Addtionaly, let me comment on your lack of "interest" in the Navy. I'll preface this by saying that I admire and respect the Marine Corps and most Marines, but this attitude drives me nuts. Consider this: To which military Department do you belong? Whose budget funds the Corps? Who gets you where you need to go? When you get there, who goes with you for logistical support? When you get hurt, who usually fixes you? For Aviators, who provides most of your training? Who owns most of your jets? And those wings on your chest, what are they called? Again, let me say that I believe the Marine Corps provides an essential service to our Nation, and I really like Marines (I have more Marine friends that Navy). However, the next time you want to seriously bag on the Navy, or pull your little elitist attitude, remember one simple fact: The Navy can exist without the Marine Corps, the reverse is not true.

Let the flaming begin :icon_rage

Stay tuned for my next soapbox: The officer first, pilot second myth.

KBayDog

Jeff29 said:
Consider this: To which military Department do you belong? Whose budget funds the Corps? Who gets you where you need to go? When you get there, who goes with you for logistical support? When you get hurt, who usually fixes you? For Aviators, who provides most of your training? Who owns most of your jets? And those wings on your chest, what are they called? Again, let me say that I believe the Marine Corps provides an essential service to our Nation, and I really like Marines (I have more Marine friends that Navy). However, the next time you want to seriously bag on the Navy, or pull your little elitist attitude, remember one simple fact: The Navy can exist without the Marine Corps, the reverse is not true.

I certainly hope you are not a senator ;)

No need to resurrect the 230 year-old "Does America Need a Marine Corps?" argument. The answer always has been, and always will be, "no." We are a bastard service, for sure - but get this: Fighting for our existence every few years is something we are used to, something we are prepared for, and something we expect. And we are proud of it.

The Corps has seen many more serious threats to its existence than Jeff29, so save your centuries-old battle. But Jeff, since you decided to chime in a few weeks late, let me ask you this:

If we rely so much on the Navy (funding, logistics, training, etc.) and we can get it all from the Navy (rather than paying for it ourselves), doesn't that make us just a little bit smarter? :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
If we rely so much on the Navy (funding, logistics, training, etc.) and we can get it all from the Navy (rather than paying for it ourselves), doesn't that make us just a little bit smarter? :D
This topic gets so side tracked and it makes me insane. ;) It's not about who owns who, or who is better. It's about being a professional and not acting like a douche nozzle when talking about other services. I know this whole thing got started when young EM Xtreme decided to shoot his mouth off in an ignorant way. Friendly inter-service banter and rivalry is a good thing. Inter-service bashing is not. But hey, good times, right? ;)

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.