• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Options currently at VMI/The Citadel

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I'm not a 2LT, I'm a 2nd Lt. Hopefully one day you will understand why I'm anal.

For reasons unknown to me, all Army ranks are abbreviated in three digits. I'm sure someone out there knows why, but to be honest, I don't care enough to find out.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The Mods attack! :)

Is it wrong to correct someone when they refer to a Marine as a Soldier? I'm not seeing a difference here.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
The Mods attack! :)

Is it wrong to correct someone when they refer to a Marine as a Soldier? I'm not seeing a difference here.

People outside of the military really don't understand the difference. All too often, I hear the term "soldier" used for service members of all branches.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I'm not a 2LT, I'm a 2nd Lt. Hopefully one day you will understand why I'm anal.

Dude, I was just explaining how it is at VMI. I honestly don't have a preference one way or the other. Sorry if I pissed you off somehow.

The AW :) Lamp is ON and shining brightly.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
People outside of the military really don't understand the difference. All too often, I hear the term "soldier" used for service members of all branches.

Not to go to far down this rabbit hole...

If someone is speaking generically about servicemen in general, then "soldier" is fine. If someone calls an individual Marine "soldier," then that person should be corrected.

I bet the 3-letter Army abbreviation thing just works better on forms, especially computerized ones. To each their own.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
If someone is speaking generically about servicemen in general, then "soldier" is fine. If someone calls an individual Marine "soldier," then that person should be corrected./QUOTE]

I apologize for not being clear in my statement. I was referring to someone seeing a group of "airmen" or "marines" and calling them soldiers.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Nope. I distinctly see the word "Soldiers" there. Who cares if "of the Sea" is added. It still says Soldiers.

After all, we used to call Marines "sea going bellhops" but they did the same job as bellhops on land.....

OELIF052.JPG

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Nope. I distinctly see the word "Soldiers" there. Who cares if "of the Sea" is added. It still says Soldiers.

After all, we used to call Marines "sea going bellhops" but they did the same job as bellhops on land.....

OELIF052.JPG

... You've never had the privilege of being called a Marine; I don't expect you to understand.

Though I may have been mistakenly called a Soldier, you will never be mistaken for a Marine. :icon_zbee
Cheers!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
... You've never had the privilege of being called a Marine; I don't expect you to understand.
Aww yes...the old fall back....we're Marines so therefore we're better than you and you don't understand.......keep telling yourself that and maybe someday someone other than another Marine will believe you....

Vincent-DOnofrio-Full_l.jpg

And while I've never been called a Marine I have called a Marine to serve me my drinks and hors dourves on the flight deck during receptions in foreign ports.

BTW, get your latest issue of Jorts Illustrated yet?

jortsillustrated.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I really didn't want to have to side with Swanee in this, or any thread, but you just crossed a line, HJ:icon_wink

At least most Marines are in good enough shape to wear shorts without destroying their structural integrity, unlike 50% of the Navy for whom "elastic waistband" is a KPP for clothing purchases. The other 50% are too scrawny and pasty to expose their legs in public!