• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Options currently at VMI/The Citadel

oatridge

My name is Steven and I was wondering if there are any current (MO's at the Citadel or VMI) on air warriors, and what there experiences are so far at the schools i.e. PT, Classes, Prep for Bulldog, Cadet life(Hard/Easy compared to what past grads went through)

Much appreciation,
Steven

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My name is Steven and I was wondering if there are any current (MO's at the Citadel or VMI) on air warriors, and what there experiences are so far at the schools i.e. PT, Classes, Prep for Bulldog, Cadet life(Hard/Easy compared to what past grads went through)

Much appreciation,
Steven

Try checking out this thread

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That would be it. Try this one on for size as well and also try backtracking to this one:

That would be me, last of the Old Corps! ;)

The deal-breaker for me when I visited both schools was location. Norwich was in a beautiful setting but in the middle of friggin nowhere, and I don't particularly like to ski.

The Citadel is just a mile from downtown Charleston, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, bar none. There is plenty to do if you do want to have fun and the College of Charleston is 60-70% female and 5 times the size of the Citadel, so you got that going for you too.

If you have any more questions, PM me. But I would take the earlier suggestion and visit both schools to see which you like better and is a better fit, that is probably your best option. Good luck!

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
El Cid all the way man. Charleston is one of the best cities in the US. PM me with specific questions, I will answer or get you in touch with someone who can.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
El Cid all the way man. Charleston is one of the best cities in the US. PM me with specific questions, I will answer or get you in touch with someone who can.

Definitely a consideration as VMI is far off the beaten track in Lexington, VA with closest metropolis of any size hours away (been there, done that as a Boy Scout at nearby camp that serves Wash DC area). I arrived at TBS with the bumper crop of Citadel and VMI grads (over 85% of the company) before the USNA grads arrived (following company was 85% USNA). My roomate was a Citadel grad so I learned an awful lot about the experience from him, but also about VMI from the proud grads in my platoon. Seems to be such a rivalry that there are no other schools to their minds. Both produce outstanding officers that I went through TBS with and later served with in the Marine Corps, Navy and thereafter.

oatridge

so in your opinion did you notice either the citadel or vmi as "better" than the other. or would you say they r the same except of the fact that one is near Charleston and the other is right next door to BFE

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
so in your opinion did you notice either the citadel or vmi as "better" than the other. or would you say they r the same except of the fact that one is near Charleston and the other is right next door to BFE

With only having attended one of the schools, but knowing quite a few who went to the other, I will dare say that there really is not one that is 'better' than the other. There are some differences with how each school does things, the fourth class system is shorter at VMI and you get your ring earlier while at the Citadel you don't have to roll up your bed every morning and get to use electrical stuff when you are freshmen, but in the end they are just semantics and the product is about as similar as you can get with two different schools.

Like I suggest to all the guys who ask about the differences I would visit both schools and take advantage of any overnight programs they have. I got a better 'feel' from the Citadel when I went and along with Charleston was the only real thing that I used to choose between the two. It was also the visit that knocked Norwich off my list. So that would be my biggest piece of advice, if you are able visit them and make up your own mind, they are both great schools.

flybw

Alpha Mike Foxtrot
pilot
Contributor
The Citadel, all the way. I made the obligatory visits at several different military schools, and The Citadel was by far my top choice. I got into USNA, but just didn't feel at home there. Now, being from SC played a large part in that decision, but I was living in VA at the time so VMI would have been the more logical choice. Despite what you may hear, The Citadel and VMI are very similar. As someone has already mentioned, there are small differences that you will be proud to have been a part of, at which ever school you choose. As for location, that one is a no brainer. Lexington, VA has a Hardees' and some gas stations. Charleston has all kinds of stuff to do downtown, too much to mention, and tons of chicks. I will second the above post and say that you need to attend an overnight stay. If you have any specific questions IRT being a Cadet at The Citadel in recent years, let me know. Also, I can pass along to you my knowledge of the PLC program and its guaranteed Air benefits vs. the ROTC scholarship, if you want it. Semper Fi and good luck, either way you'll have an awesome 4 years.

oatridge

Im Scheduled to an Overnight Stay at VMI the 5th and 6th of March and the Citadel on either the 11th and 12th or 25th and 26th.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Okay. I was a Navy option MIDN at El Cid, but I was classmates with FlyMikeFly and flybw and they are both excellent sources of info for the Marine side. The present NROTC CO, COL Dunahoe, is doing an excellent job there right now. I was stashed there between primary and advanced, and he impressed the shit outta me and the cadets loved him. The unit is as good as it ever was with a solid cadre of MECEPs and cadets.

That's about all I can tell you about the present Marine option situation at The Citadel. Charleston is fun as hell. I get back every time I get the chance. But, like Flash said, tour them all, and make an informed decision based on what YOU see, not what you are told by word of mouth.

riggsjt

I am a 09 VMI grad, I was a navy option though. To answer some of your questions, there is mandatory ROTC PT twice a week with at least one other required self pt during the week. To prep for OCS, bulldog begins second semester of your second class year. It is run my the GySGT and the first class Marine options. The current GySGT just got done working at OCS so he knows whats going on. The other two marines at the unit right now are CPT Greg, aviator, prior enlisted, and the CO, Col Hough, recon infantry. To answer the question about cadet life, I will give you a common saying at the Mother I. "It is better to be from VMI than at VMI." Saying that, I would never go back and change my college experience. If you have anymore questions PM me.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Okay. I was a Navy option MIDN at El Cid, but I was classmates with FlyMikeFly and flybw and they are both excellent sources of info for the Marine side. The present NROTC CO, COL Dunahoe, is doing an excellent job there right now. I was stashed there between primary and advanced, and he impressed the shit outta me and the cadets loved him. The unit is as good as it ever was with a solid cadre of MECEPs and cadets.

That's about all I can tell you about the present Marine option situation at The Citadel. Charleston is fun as hell. I get back every time I get the chance. But, like Flash said, tour them all, and make an informed decision based on what YOU see, not what you are told by word of mouth.

I often wonder if I would have enjoyed college more at the Citadel vice VT. I looked, got accepted, toured, liked it, but didn't pull the trigger. Myeh...