• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Just wanted to see how many marine officer candidates were on here. How far along are you? I am sophomore and working on a package for OCS. If I dont get in this summer, then I'll just try for next too.

I know that we're all here cause we are fascinated with flying, but we must look towards the short term goals first, and realize that in order to be pilots. But first we have to be Marines. Wow, what an opportunity to have the coolest job in the world as an aviator/nfo and at the same time hold the title of U.S. Marine.

My question for you OC's is how did you prep yourself for OCS. I need some gouge on the M-16A2, the five paragraph thing whatever that is, and there's probably more. Just need some advice for OCS prepertaion other than Physical.

There are so many questions that I want to ask, but I dont want to waste everyone's time. Thanks for any replies.

Semper FI

jwnole

I am one. College Grad. Passed ASTB. Working on LORs and a high PFT. Shooting for October.

My advice: Never lie, stay out of trouble, don't drink and drive, talk to your OSO at least 2x weekly

hobbs77

I am currently working on my package for OCS 183. Hope to get a better score on my astb in May when I take it for the third time. My PFT is 20/100/20:30(and improving daily). I applied for 182 and was not selected because my astb scores weren't good enough. Since then I have been searching the web with a fine tooth comb for the best gouge. I study Marine Corps history, astb info, and even some API info everyday. I am 25, married w/ one daughter, college grad w/ BS in PhysEd. I have wanted to be a Marine officer since about 13 and am finally getting around to becoming one.

Semper Fi, Do or Die, Gun-ho Gung-ho Gung-ho

Doc

How's it going? I am a prior service Navy corpsman (7 1/2 years,) currently a civilian. I am working on my package for June 03 for an SNA slot. I just qualified with a 60/8/8 after taking the ASTB last week. I am 27 years old, married, and have two kids, BS in Industrial Technology. I look forward to getting to OCS. Hope I see some of you there.

EA-6B1,
As far as preparing mentally, and academically, go to a surplus store and get a handbook on the M-16. Learn the specs and break down. Also, get a good book on MC history and study it, learn the general structure of the MC chain of command and its elements, and lastly, learn some cadence. Put yourself in the frame of mind that you are going to go in confident but not arrogant. You'll be fine.

hobbs77,
If you don't mind me asking what were your scores on ASTB and PFT when you applied for 182? Also, what part of the US are you in?

SF

"For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother" - Shakespear

davidsin

speaking of cadances...I downloaded some from KaZaa. Man the MC band is friggin awesome. It motivates me when I hear the band and the cadances on my mp3 player when I'm running. I'm shooting for OCC 183. 26 single passed all tests and waiting.

Because the foolishness of God is wiser then men, and the weakness of God is stronger then men.

1 Corithians 1:25

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Im a Marine OC.
Graduated OCS via PLC Combined last summer, and am sitting around waiting to get commissioned in May.
Besides PT, I memorized my 11 general orders before going to OCS, which I would recommend highly. In reality, when are sitting around before OCS, memorizing all 11 general orders takes about 30 minutes, but you have so little time when you get to Quantico that its hard to find time to do that... Also, memorize all your leadership principles, and your leadership traits. These are other things you will be required to know and require memorization, and if you find the time to do it before OCS you will have more time down there to square yourself away.

If you are going to OCC or PLC Combined, memorize the 5 paragraph order, but if you are only going to PLC juniors there's no need to. You WILL need that info for seniors though.

In addition to this, I would recommend knowing all the ranks in the Marine Corps- ESPECIALLY ENISTED from E-5 through E-9(these are the people that will be yelling at you on a regular basis, don't give them more ammo by not recognizing their chevron!)

Hope that helps

hobbs77

What's up Doc?
I think I had a 4/5/48 for NA and NFO (I know they're terrible but third time is the charm). I am trying for NFO because of my eyesight of 20/200 correctable to 20/20. Pft was a 251. Quincy, IL. I will definitely get the PRK during TBS.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Hobbs77-
If you are going to have PRK after TBS then why aren't you wanting to go SNA? I want SNA and will have that surgery if I get accepted and make it through OCS and then onto TBS. Just curious. Thanks.

Semper FI

klostman

the happy dance!
EA-6B1, I would just focus on staying in shape, continue to maintain the physical level that will be demanded of you at OCS. Maintain good grades in school. Your OSO will give you everything you need to know depending on what OCS class you go to. I wouldn't worry about the M-16, I mean sure it won't hurt to know stuff about it, but they will teach you everything you need to know about it inside and out.

hobbs77

EA-6B1,
I feel that I would probably be a better "back seater" than a pilot. But the thought has occured to go for SNA also. It's a choice that I hope to have when the time comes.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I guess the above acronyms are standing for something important to know for OCS? Anyone want to break it down for me? Thanks.

Semper FI

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
College senior, shooting for OCC 184 in October. I'm working on the ASTB and PFT right now, but my OSO told me to take those in April since he's focusing on getting the 183 guys through right now. And I wouldn't mind getting filled in on the acronyms either...

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

hobbs77

14 Leadership Traits: JJ DID TIE BUCKLE

Bearing-Way you conduct and cary yourself.

Courage-What allows you to remain calm while recognizing fear.

Decisiveness-You are able to make good decisions without delay.

Dependability-You can be relied upon to perform your duties properly.

Endurance-Mental and physical stamina that is measured by your ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress, and hardship.

Enthusiasm-A sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of your duties.

Initiative-Taking action even though you haven't been given orders.

Integrity-You are honest and truthful in what you say and do.

Judgement-Your ability to think about things clearly, calmly, and in an orderly fashion so that you can make good decisions.

Justice-The practice of being fair and consistent.

Knowledge-Understanding of a science or art.

Loyalty-You are devoted to your country, the Corps, and to your seniors, peers, and subordinates.

Tact-You can deal with people in a manner that will maintain good relations and avoid problems.

Unselfishness-You avoid making yourself comfortable at the expense of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.