• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS Preparation

Lawman

None
If you cant climb the rope you cant graduate, simple as that. You will fail the O-course if you dont make it up the rope no matter your time through the obstacles and the opening part of the CRT is a rope climb wearing your war gear and weapon, so good luck with that if you cant do it in boots and utes.

One thing I didnt have very prepaired when I went was load bearing. Your gonna do a lot of stuff that just running will not do much to prepair you for. I was fine with cardio ect with running but firemans carry was a ***** for me at first and humping with a full kit is a lot harder if your a short skinny guy like me if you arent used to it. When they say hike they dont mean slowly 3mph may not sound that fast but when your carrying all your gear up what seems like a never ending hill it is. And if your at the end of the column you end up running a lot because people in front of you two platoons up keep buddy f*cking you by running to close up gaps.

Carno

Insane
Yeah, the first hump is a *****. Nobody knows how to hump well, so everyone ends up running. I was in the last platoon of five for our first hump, so we were running the entire time.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, the first hump is a *****. Nobody knows how to hump well, so everyone ends up running. I was in the last platoon of five for our first hump, so we were running the entire time.

Sucks being the short end, too. My favorite hump was when we took a rest stop and resumed in the reverse direction, so that we were at the front. Complete change.

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot

They didn't rotate the platoons after the breaks? When I went to OCS, after every stop (excepting the early gear check), the platoon in front would go to the back and every other platoon would be moved closer to the front. That way, everyone gets a chance to get screwed by being on the little end.:D

And yes, for those you who have yet to experience a hump, it IS that much easier to be at the front of the company. Come to think of it, same goes for squad runs, etc.

Carno

Insane
Yes, I neglected to mention it, but we did switch at the one stop that we had. Made a world of difference being at the front of the column.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
just finished the 12 mile the other night. it sucked. Couldnt see **** the whole way is was so dark. We rotated every 3 mile stop. Bu it stunk cuz we were duty so we started up front and kept getting pushed back each time. Cant wait to turn that damnpack in next week. Charlie Co. got the molle packs instead of the alice packs from 1940 or however the heck old those things are. It sucks because they make us fill those molle packs up

Lawman

None
just finished the 12 mile the other night. it sucked. Couldnt see **** the whole way is was so dark. We rotated every 3 mile stop. Bu it stunk cuz we were duty so we started up front and kept getting pushed back each time. Cant wait to turn that damnpack in next week. Charlie Co. got the molle packs instead of the alice packs from 1940 or however the heck old those things are. It sucks because they make us fill those molle packs up

Yeah but you guys also got the CamelBaks which would have made it so much easier to stay hydrated and not have all the heat casualties we were running into in Alpha. First day we saw all you guys in formation in front of us with your Molle's and Camelpaks you should have heard the grumbling. One guy even asked a platoon Sgt when we'd be going back to supply to be re-issued gear.

Slammer2

Contributor
yeah those things are pretty nice. It was black flag all week. 0200 during the hump and still like 90 degrees. I drank almost the whole 3 liters each leg of the hump. We origionally got the alice packs then they took us back to get the new crap. They make us carry a lot more weight in the bigger packs, but the padding on them is real thick and they sit pretty nice...I think its a good trade-off. Yeah I dont think that we had any heat cases on it. We had only 1 during SULE 2. They really help with all that extra water. And plus you could field strip an MRE and shove it in the zipper. My damn nozzle broke right before SULE2 though during the 9-mile hump so I had to dump out the water into my canteens during the security stops. I really dont know why they didnt give them to you guys too.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
A question - how did you guys maintain the Camelbaks? They seem to be more difficult to refill, and I need to dry or refrigerate mine to keep crud from growing in them.

Slammer2

Contributor
Crud adds flavor. We dont really do anything with them. They're the USMC Tactical 3L version. We dont take the pouch out or anything. Just unscrew the big ass cap on the front. If we're in the squad bay, we just use the showers to fill it. Outside, we use the big water bowls or the big jugs that the trucks bring in if we're on humps or stuff like that. They're pretty hard core and can take a pretty good beating. I"ve dropped all kinds of crap on mine and it never broke. Not sure what happened during SULE 2 when my nozzle came apart. But as far as mold and stuff growing in there, I dont know...we're constantly drinking the whole thing and putting fresh water in so it doesnt get too stagnant in there. I use the little clips on top to hang it from my rack( I got the bottom) so the tube hangs right over my head at night. Then my lazy ass only has to do like half a crunch to get water. They're definately a huge convienence though over the damn canteens that Chesty Puller himself used with damn buttons that wont open.