• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine lands his plane on road at Purdue

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
With ADSB-out, shouldn't that data follow aircraft from squawk to squawk?

That's what I thought... maybe a GA expert here can weight in... Also, of note, I thought it was interesting/unexpected the controller asked you to switch the 7700 for the reasons @Jim123 mentioned.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also, of note, I thought it was interesting/unexpected the controller asked you to switch the 7700 for the reasons @Jim123 mentioned.

Something that I noted with a large percentage of students (and even some fleet-experienced pilots) was briefing to switch to Guard and 7700 if we had an emergency, especially on instrument flights. I would always brief that it would depend on if we were talking to anyone and with studs, sometimes need to get into a discussion about exactly what Jim was talking about and also how when you switch to Guard, you've just gone lost comms. For newer pilots, it's no doubt just regurgitating "the script" without thinking it through.

For ADS-B, I think it's really hit and miss on who is using it and when, in part because of coverage, and also just whatever system a particular controller may be using. Center seems to be a lot less interested in it, as I've been asked aircraft type multiple times. If they're radar coverage is good, then that may be the primary data.

When I was flying out to AZ last month, as I was going by White Sands, we were all getting jammed majorly. Center was very helpful and just asked everyone who reported the problem if they needed steering. At one point one of the airliners called and reported that his ADS-B was down as well (makes sense with being jammed). Center replied with, "Ah, okay. Um, how does that...honestly I'm not really sure how that works. Do you need it right now?" The airliner came back and explained that it was actually for ATC and just wanted to report the issue. Center replied his radar coverage was good and that's what he was controlling with.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If not taught in the VTs, something to consider. With an emergency in the terminal area you can always ask for a single frequency approach, no radio BS from there on. If you do have to switch frequencies, good idea to lead your check in with something like "emergency aircraft" then call sign. If you are not squawking 7700 the emergency status might not get passed along, especially if your problem isn't super dramatic. Engine failure on multi engine aircraft, degraded electrical system, back up or partial hydraulics, you could fly for 30 minutes to a good divert and you might find you aren't getting the proper priority some minutes after declaring an emergency.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The flight path of N599YX is clear to follow in Flightradar24 so ADS-B was working just fine. If the map is accurate it looks like you landed a few blocks south of the zoo! If you are operating a Mode S transponder with an extended squitter for your ADS-B (and to be clear I have no idea what that means) then your aircraft will be tracked regardless of the transponder code.

You can watch the “movie” here.

taxi1

pilot
I know the CEO of Sonex perished in an engine-out situation a few years back, so all the more BZ for putting this one on the ground safely.

David8891

None
I know the CEO of Sonex perished in an engine-out situation a few years back, so all the more BZ for putting this one on the ground safely.

To be fair to Jeremy Monnett, his engine failed on takeoff, and that's the worst of spots to be in.