• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine lands his plane on road at Purdue

taxi1

pilot
Kitbuilt aircraft, the motor decided to not run. Seems like a great job avoiding things while landing it in a neighborhood. BZ!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Kitbuilt aircraft, the motor decided to not run. Seems like a great job avoiding things while landing it in a neighborhood. BZ!

From the article, "His first step was to find the plane’s best glide speed, the optimum speed at which a plane should travel to obtain an even glide.

“I hadn’t gotten to that point yet in my syllabus, so I had to guess,” Tibbo said."

So did he not have a PPL?!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
From the article, "His first step was to find the plane’s best glide speed, the optimum speed at which a plane should travel to obtain an even glide.

“I hadn’t gotten to that point yet in my syllabus, so I had to guess,” Tibbo said."

Since he was talking about testing his plane, I took it as he hadn't explored that flight regime yet.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
He's got a PPL airplane SEL and instrument rating in the FAA database. I hope he takes some of that grad level aerospace propulsion and figures out some electrical redundancy in his powerplant. All's well that ends well and nice job on the landing.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

What @HAL Pilot - this guy is actually a member of our forums, a lurker more really than anything else. Good buddy of mine and a hell of a pilot and former Prowler NFO. The FAA recording of him has him cool as a cucumber. Guy really knows what he's talking about when it comes to flying. He built that plane on his own while doing his Masters and recently (past few months) got it certified for flight with the FAA but still has less than 50 hours total in it, so he's breaking it in.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
What @HAL Pilot - this guy is actually a member of our forums, a lurker more really than anything else. Good buddy of mine and a hell of a pilot and former Prowler NFO. The FAA recording of him has him cool as a cucumber. Guy really knows what he's talking about when it comes to flying. He built that plane on his own while doing his Masters and recently (past few months) got it certified for flight with the FAA but still has less than 50 hours total in it, so he's breaking it in.

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing his name around MAG-14.

Interesting.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot

Do you happen to have a link to the audio? He and I went to high school together - had no idea he joined the Marines..

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Do you happen to have a link to the audio? He and I went to high school together - had no idea he joined the Marines..

I don't, I'll see if he'll let me post it somewhere.

That's funny. He's a USNA company-mate of mine. Small world.

taxi1

pilot
I wonder if it wasn't an electric drive? Looks like a Sonex or similar, but the cowling is oddball. Need more info!

@DanMa1156 order him to show up in this thread and give us the scoop. Inquiring minds want to know...

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
I wonder if it wasn't an electric drive? Looks like a Sonex or similar, but the cowling is oddball. Need more info!

@DanMa1156 order him to show up in this thread and give us the scoop. Inquiring minds want to know...
Ha, I'll let him know!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It's a Sonex and as registered the engine listed is a ULPower 260. Good, basic airplane and a reputable engine that's a good fit for that airframe.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Given the airmanship required it is worth noting he must have had very few hours flying the plane. Might have gotten a checkout in a Sonex, but still, not much and we know less than 50. Decent stick monkey for a NFO, no?